“Really enjoyable...see review for tips”

Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory and Gardens
New York
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Really enjoyable...see review for tips”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

While I had to admit I liked NIagara on the Lake's Butterfly Conservatory better for some reasons (more butterflies; at Niagara they do not seem to have as many workers caring if you touch the butterflies), this place was excellent for other reasons...mainly the music and places to sit. It's not as tight as Niagara...more room to move about which is nice.

Get there first thing in the morning and go on an "off day" if at all possible. The families started to arrive about an hour after I got there. I was happy and more relaxed to have most of the place to myself.

You can have breakfast at Monarchs, the attached restaurant. It opens at 8am.

A cloudy day makes for better lighting conditions for photogs who like to use an SLR on manual settings (that would be me :-)

You can buy caterpillers contained in a little cup complete with nutrition in their store. I could not resist and hope to have some butterfly pets to brighten up a dull winter.

I loved it that I could sit down. In fact, would have loved to bring a cup of coffee in but not sure if that is allowed. It is truly magical when you can sit and watch them all flutter about.

They also feature other animals...turtles, birds, lizards, etc. and the little quail that run all over are so cute and tame.

Visited January 2013

Springfield.ma
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“"Great experience -very relaxing -breath taking "”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were there in November it was on their birthday celebration. We had a great time very informative and educational. The butterflies were amazing we spent at least two hours just soaking in the beauty and relaxing .We ate a the restaurant on site they had a good menu. the meal and service was excellent . We had a great experience and I intend to go back in the winter to chase away the winter blahs and enjoy the calming relaxing experience.

Visited November 2012
Northampton Mass.
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is just a great place to spend a peaceful, relaxing day. You'll wander around among the fly butterflies. Sometimes if your lucky one will land on you. There are also many other exotic creatures in glass aquariums. They also have birds and tortoises. My wife and I have been many times when were looking for a way to spend a fun afternoon. The kids will love it too! There is a fee to get in. This is one of our hidden gems.

Visited August 2012
Amherst, Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“FlutterBys and Chinese Mini-Quail”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is an exceptional attraction and a big surprise to the casual passerby. I have taken friends there who have been in butterfly conservatories in NYC, Boston and Niagara Falls Canada and each has averred that this one is the best they have seen. The interior is remarkably well planned and meticulously maintained. There are a variety of exceptional insects in the anteroom, while the conservatory proper contains, coy fish, turtles, a brilliant cockatoo and a great range of butterflies that will occasionally alight on you, especially if you are wearing bright clothing. Please don't try to touch them, as they are very delicate.

Visited September 2012
Clinton, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Won't know where to look first...”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Sooo many butterflies, it is just awesome to see so many. They have have mini quails running around too, they are so cool!

Visited November 2012