“has potential, but was disappointed on my first visit”

Monarchs Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Description: Weddings, buffets, full lunch and dinner menu. Private parties. Lunch offers: Quesadillas, Reubens, Pub-style burgers, gourmet wraps. Dinner has Maple Roasted Pork, Prime Rib, Haddock, Homemade New England Clam Chowder, Seafood Newburg, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Baked Stuffed Chicken, New York Strip, Sirloin, etc. Good prices. Restaurant is on the premises of Magic wings Butterfly Conservatory and Museum
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Took the time to visit Magic Wings from 4-5pm on Dec 8 and decided to eat afterwards at the Monarch. Checked the menu posted outside and spotted something I was hungry for, went inside and was asked "can I help you with anything?" "Well, yes, I'd like to eat." I was the only one there and was anticipating a nice quiet relaxing dinner by the beautifully decorated window, but I didn't quite get that. TV was on (why do restaurants do this? My favorite place in Williamstown added a tv in their lovely fireplace room and that was the last I went there.) and I asked if they had any nice music they could play instead. Nope, boom box was broken and can't get any music channels on the tv. So they turned the volume down on the tv. That was nice, but now all I could hear was the hum of some machine in the dining area. An ice machine perhaps, the heating system, I don't know, and then since they had nothing else to do, the two wait staff stood around and talked about personal stuff and a third joined them and talked business stuff for awhile. I hate that. Bothers me when employees do that at grocery stores too. Anyway, I enjoyed the salad, the bread, the squash medley and it was nice to have real mashed potatoes. The steak was ok. Was a lot better when I warmed it up at home later that night after attending a very beautiful concert by the Pioneer Consort in Historic Deerfield. I probably won't go back, since I don't like electrical humming sounds, but it was a sweet setting and it does have potential and it is quite convenient to the Magic Wings. Two large parties came in when I was near to leaving. It was nice to have their presence and their gentle chatter. Bon appetit.

1  Thank Doris S
There are newer reviews for Monarchs Restaurant

Reviewed October 29, 2012

First, the wait staff and personnel were very friendly, prompt, and courteous, with great attention to keeping the coffee cups filled. And that was good, because the coffee was the best tasting course of the meals we had. With one other table occupied on a Sunday morning, all our meals arrived cold; the homefries were cold, undercooked and crunchy with so much salt they couldn't be eaten. Ham was not a ham steak, but shaved deli ham...cold. Eggs cold with runny whites, syrup with unidentifiable bits in it, and the breakfast burrito cold. Monarch's seems to only get half right at a time. When service is good the food isn't, & vice versa. I can't any longer give Monarch's even a lukewarm recommendation.

1  Thank iirish
Reviewed September 3, 2012

There aren't a lot of choices for Sunday brunch in the immediate area of Deerfield, but Monarch's is OK. Service is very fast, servers and greeters are personable, food is average (tho a bit inconsistent in quality), and the prices moderate. I haven't tried any other meals there, but brunch is OK and while I go there occasionally, Monarch's doesn't bring me back regularly.

1  Thank iirish
Reviewed August 16, 2012

AWFUL!! We were there yesterday at 11:30am, and it was empty except for two tables. The man at the door, the manager I think, seemed annoyed we wanted to come in. We ordered mozzarella sticks, a burger, a scallop roll, turkey wrap, and perogies. Tried to order a chicken entree, but our server told us THEY WERE OUT OF CHICKEN. What?

It took more than 60 MINUTES to get our food!! Are you kidding me?! We ordered a few sandwiches! Do you have any idea how hard it is for a one year old and three year old to sit for an HOUR, without food? We kept thinking, any minute now, any minute now. Our server never came back to refill drinks, I think because she didn't want to get yelled at about the food. AND once it finally arrived, the burger was dripping with grease, the perogies and onions were so burned they were inedible, and the scallops smelled and tasted horrible, like they had gone bad a long time ago. The wrap and mozza sticks were okay.

My family was so disappointed and angry about having to wait so long, and in the case of the perogies and scallops, leave without eating any lunch. I heard the manager telling other customers that "they had lost power" and that was the problem. First, I think that was a B.S. excuse. Second, if it wasn't, I'm going to be even more mad if I find out that the power problem happened before we sat down and no one warned us. Third, could the manager not stop at our table and talk to us? He walked by us many times, saw our food-less table, and still ignored us. Our server apologized for the awful food and the hour long wait, but it wasn't her fault. Manager needs to get it together. At one point I was looking around for Gordon Ramsay because I was sure we were on Kitchen Nightmares. Absolutely unacceptable. Butterfly conservatory was great, but we will NEVER eat at the Monarch Restaurant again.

2  Thank Ali R
Reviewed August 12, 2012

They have a bar and make a great martini for around $5. Their dinners come with salad, a vegetable, and rice or a potato. The kids meals come with ice cream. The insects, birds, and butterflies provide nice educational entertainment for families.