“Love the chicken.”

Ranked #3 of 320 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Highland Kitchen is a family-owned neighborhood restaurant and bar located "up the hill" in the heart of Somerville. HK has been delivering American comfort food, well-crafted cocktails, friendly service and a killer jukebox since 2007.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Monday night when most establishments are closed, you can eat buttermilk battered chicken at this popular restaurant. Arrive in a timely manner or you will wait, the bar makes this a painless experience. It's a loud restaurant but the food is exceptional and the staff is friendly, I live a 5 min. walk from the place and highly recommend it. (p.s. I'm a little older than the 22-35 demographic)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Somerville is the new Cambridge. It hasn't been gentrified yet, and there is still a good mix
of professionals, hipsters, and working class folks.

The Highland Kitchen exemplifies this vibe. Mostly younger people 22-35 and families eat there.

As soon as one walks in, one notices the bar. On Saturday at 6PM, it was full. The bartenders are very friendly and right away asked us what we wanted to drink, even though we were not at the bar.

I opted for one of their incredible Margaritas. I believe it was the house Margarita- but I can't recall. My friends opted for a Dorchester, which is also excellent.

I ordered a sword fish special. This is not served on a regular basis. My friends had fish and chips, which they felt was just okay. My sword fish was quite good. The desert was also very good.

In general, the food is very good. More importantly, it is the funky vibe/good food combo which makes it a fun place to eat.

There is usually a waiting line. We arrived at 6 and only had to wait 10 minutes. Later on there will be a 45 minute wait.

The Highland Kitchen is fun and worth the wait- make sure you have a cocktail if you are waiting:)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

They don't take reservations (EXCEPT FOR A PARTY OF 6+) so we got there early at six and there was already a waiting line. We put our name on the list and had a drink at the bar area.
The food was very good as well as the service but it was one of the noisiest places that I have been in. I had a mai mai(sp?) fish dish that came with delicious cubes of potatoes.
They were very accomadating . I asked if the whip cream could be substituted with vanilla ice cream on my cake with mixed berries.. A friend had a pork dish.that came with a duck fat
potato cake. I asked if I could have that cake as a side dish. My only criticism was that I thought $10 was pricy for a glass of rose wine but my Pastis (pernod) was only $7. Iggy's sour dough bread was an added bonus.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a real nice find tucked right into the center of Somerville. We visited for Sunday Brunch and were very impressed. The staff is super friendly and they immediately make you feel right at home. The drink menu is creative and quite inviting to get the end of the weekend off to a good start. The menu offers some great American Fare with other treats mixed in. Everyone at our table was quite pleased with their choices but I have to admit that the Asparagus and Goat Cheese Omellette with Grits was by far the best. If your in the area check this great joint out.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is the perfect neighborhood restaurant that one dreams about when moving to a larger city. The food is always great and so are the cocktails. The staff is friendly regardless of how busy it is. I would suggest getting here early for both dinner and brunch since it is very very popular! Can't wait to come back for another mimosa!