“Surprisingly nice hotel for a fraction of Cambridge prices”

Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Somerville
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I had several meetings in Cambridge and the cost of hotels there was through the roof. After looking around, I expanded my search to Somerville which just a short trip from Cambridge and elected to stay at the Holiday Inn near Bunker Hill since, at least, it was on the same side of the river and seemed like commuting to the meetings would be reasonable.

It was quite a nice hotel. The cost was less obscene than Cambridge hotels (although -- to be be fair -- it was still a non-trivial $250/night with taxes). The room was very comfortable, with free internet and free parking.

Minor complaints -- the length of the room made it a bit difficult to watch TV --- I realize that I'm complaining about the room being too big, but it did just seem like it needed a bigger TV or a different layout. Internet, while free, was clunky. The hotel is in an industrial part of town, and the neighborhood didn't seem especially welcoming. Traffic was a mess due to some construction (you need to have an updated GPS/Phone) to avoid the bridge problem.

The commute to my meetings in Cambridge was just under 2 miles,and the traffic was slow going through some difficult to navigate streets. It was definitely worth a tiny bit more of a commute to save something like $100 (or more)/night.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear NC_traveler1998,

Thank you for your fantastic review and warm recommendation. It always a pleasure to read how guests enjoyed our hotel, and appreciate the great value we are.
I welcome the feedback you provided and wanted to let you know we are working on the wifi always to ensure it is perfect. We would be honored to have you visit us again when you are back in the Boston area for work--or play!

Thank you again!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed May 7, 2014.
Great location to Boston downtown with room prices much better.
Staff at this hotel was awesome... one of their managers actually drove our party over to downtown Boston in the hotel shuttle van so we did not have to wait 30 mins for regular shuttle driver.
All the ladies at the front desk were super friendly.
Complimentary breakfast much better than expected w/ really nice and attentive wait staff complementing the self serve setup.
Rooms were really nicely appointed, a bit more so than most holiday inns I have stayed at.

Highly recommended! Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: I had fifth floor away from elevator, King bed... very nice room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear drgeeGT,
Thank you for your perfect review and for your kind words about our property and our team. We are very appreciative and love reading when our guests enjoy themselves, and will return. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the Holiday Inn Boston Bunker Hill, and we all look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Boston!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

The renovation work on this clearly older property is stellar. Super modern fixtures and the tv set up in the room was amazing- a HUGE tv on a full motion mount made our trip very relaxing.I have stayed in many, many 'fancier' hotel chains and this was far better than many rooms I would pay double or triple for. The night auditor that checked us in the middle of the night was very kind and helpful. The room type and location of the room that was requested was exactly what we received. The Bath and Body Works bath products smelled amazing and my husband and I all in all loved our stay here during a stressful relocation process.

As far as negatives, I will say that we had a massive spider dangling over the bed when we walked in- not a huge deal because we caught him but it was unnerving. Additionally the night auditor told us there were ice machines on every floor- but after checking I found them only on odd number floors. The lobby upon check in had some dead crickets and trash on the floor- not exactly the best curb appeal considering how nice the rooms are!

This hotel is worth it, and deserves more respect than a typical Holiday Inn might garner. The management clearly tries very hard to make the property successful and a haven for guests. I would put family or friends here without hesitation, and would welcome a chance to stay here again.

Room Tip: higher floors have a sweet view of downtown Boston!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Stormycakes,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed our renovation and had a comfortable and relaxing stay with us. I do want to apologize for the couple of hiccups you did experience, a spotless guestroom and knowledgeable staff is our constant goal, and I have shared this with the housekeeping and front office teams for review.
The greatest compliment we can get from any of our guests is to know they will recommend us and come back! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

The room, was spacious but the soap holder should be install in front of the showel wall not the left side of the of the wall. MY left elbow was hit on that soap holder when I was taking a shower the first day I arrived and I was in pain for more than a day!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Julian O,
Thank you for your review. I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer, so that he may look into placement of the soap dishes in our guest rooms. We appreciate you letting us know about this, feedback from our guests is vital so that we may improve. Thank you for staying with us.

Terri

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel to be close to Tufts and because it was a reasonably affordable option. The hotel was typical Holiday Inn. If you are planning to visit Tufts, it is about a 15-20 minute drive away. The immediate neighborhood around the hotel is not inviting, so, you will want to drive if you don't want to eat meals at the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 50Continental_Drift

Hello 50Continental_Drift,
Thank you for sharing with us feedback on your stay with us. We are very close to Tuft's and a great value. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Arrived here having booked two TWIN rooms (two beds per room)- you guessed it, they place us in doubles (one big bed per room). After several rounds of 'musical rooms' we end up with the best they can offer - not nice at all. One of us has to sleep in a 'fold-away' bed, all we get is a pile of sheets placed in the room - we have to make this bed ourselves. Wow.
During the process of looking for twin rooms, the receptionist was one or two notches above outright rude, the process of getting checked-in resembled how I imagine arrivals are in a boot-camp. Not in the least bit (meant to be) pleasant.
Rooms were very noisy - frequently woken up by road noise (mainly trucks).
Tried the restaurant, once - never again. Our daughter (14 at the time) said she preferred to go hungry than to eat whatever it was on her plate. Skipped breakfast here because of that.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nossi
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Nossi,
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for your stay not exceeding your expectations. I will share your comments with our entire team so that we can review and improve based on your feedback. We have completely renovated our restaurant since your stay, and also have a new Chef with some great new menu items.
I do hope when you are back in the Boston area you will give us another try, so we have the opportunity to win you over.
Thank you again.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

This hotel fulfilled my criteria in choosing a hotel: cleanliness, comfortable bed, indoor pool, reasonable price & free parking. Apparently, this combination is so hard to find in the expensive city of Boston. I am glad to have found this place right outside of Cambridge & will be returning soon. Metro station was just a few blocks away & only 3 stops to the center of Boston. My kids were amazed by the hotel's activity center with a basketball court, billiard, foosball, rock climbing wall & a movie screen; all indoors, next to the swimming pool. I was most impressed by the firm, comfortable beds & room furnishings that resembled a 4-star hotel. The hotel's only restaurant served average food, but the friendly staff & Kids-Eat-Free offer made it a good deal. I had a low expectation out of Holiday Inn in general, but this place deserves high praise.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you for your great review! We love our hotel, and when guests such as yourself give us such high praise, we are so grateful. I am so pleased you and your family enjoyed our hotel and found out what a gem we are when staying in the Boston area. We look forward to you coming back to visit us again soon!
Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerville
La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge
Hampton Inn Boston / Cambridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Boston Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
#2 of 19 in Cambridge
Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston

Been to Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill? Share your experiences!