“Great beer bar with good food, impressive for sports bar”

Olde Magoun's Saloon
Ranked #47 of 314 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We have 21 rotating taps featuring local and import craft beers all served in their own unique glassware. Our menu has all your pub favorites including sandwiches, burgers, pizza and hearty entrées like beef stew, mac & cheese and fish & chips. On Wednesdays we feature a special menu highlighting a different cuisine each month. Start you weekends off right with our special brunch menu and our famous bloody mary. You can catch all the sports action on our 6 HD projector screens.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is my local pub. I love this place! Huge rotating beer menu (30ish beers on tap), great food every time I've gone, and awesome specials. If you can make it for their Wednesday specials, I would highly recommend them. The brunch is particularly awesome: Jameson-soaked French Toast, Magners-glazed apples, and Bailey's whipped cream. And that is just my favorite brunch item there. They have a bunch more, that are all good. No one I've gone here with has ever complained about the meal.

Word of caution, check if the local teams are playing - Bruins, Pats, Sox- because if they are, the place will be a mad-house. My only complaints would be the fact it's a sports bar (not a sports person) and that service can be a bit slow when they are busy (duh).

Reservations only accepted for large parties, FYI, but they will tell you how long your wait might be if you call them first.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great food. The menu is not your ordinary pub food. Great beer. The list is long to choose ftom. There is something for everyone. Great atmosphere.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My friends & I went St. Patty's weekend, and that was a mistake since this is an "irish pub". This quaint little place can get very crowded - SRO. Good sign, but table seating to eat seems to be first come, stay as long as you want. The hostess kept promising us a table and actually asked us to hover near and "stalk" a tableful of people who were just drinking. Two hours after arriving we were finally seated for some delicious dinner. Interesting menu that appears to be well done by the kitchen. My duck bahn (sandwich) was wonderful with good chunks of duck laid into an interesting oriental slaw. I would recommend this place, but not during busy times nor band hours. The band that came on at 800pm was very loud and not very good - and yes, I am an old geezer but love my rock n roll.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I'd never been to this place before, despite it being close to my apartment.

The neighborhood appears a bit rough, sign said to seat ourselves when we arrived, and it took ~12 minutes to have a waitress appear to take our drink order.

It appears that they have a different specialty menu every month. We were lucky enough to go during the bacon-menu. The bacon-menu items were OUTSTANDINGLY DELICIOUS. My wife had items that were not from the bacon-menu as well. There was even a bacon old-fashioned, which is nice that the bar ties in with the special menu.

Based on the large selection of quality beers and the quality of food that came out, we will be back. There's things that the restaurant could improve upon, certainly, but nothing that will keep me from going back.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We love this place because it's a quaint pub. I want to love it more, but there are always a few things that leave me wanting it to be better. I love the cute atomosphere. I love the little white/red/different lights they have up around the whole pub for holidays. I love the little fire place. I love all the huge screens to watch all the sports games at once, while still being a cute pub. Last night I *loved* my burger with the fried egg on top. I have to say the burger was better than I remember, so they have improved one thing!

What I wish they'd fix is the tables near the mens room. For some reason we are often seated there. I understand their need to use the space, but it's cold. It's not quaint. And you feel like you're in the path of well - men who need to pee after one too many beers. Some how that area has to be less drafty.

I also wish they'd improve their beer list. It's on a chalkboard. Ok that's cool. But the problem is those beers are not the beers we all know. When you serve unusual beers, you should have definitions. Or at least a waitress with the personality to want to explain what they are, or provide samples. Old Magoun's has none of that. WHen I said I didn't know what I wanted, because I couldn't see the beers (they were on the same wall as where I was sitting, so the angle was horrible), our waitress left. I thought maybe she was going to get me a menu with definitions, but that was not the case. She got my husband his beer (which he didn't realize he had ordered!), and some OTHER waitress delivered it. Our waitress didnt' come back for awhile, and when she did, she just said "did you decide".

I don't think either of those are hard to fix. A little heat, maybe a divider near the bathroom, and a menu with beer definitions on it. That's it! Then I'd love it more.