“Gluten free, but scary”

Dining options: Takeout
Boston, Massachusetts
“Gluten free, but scary”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I purchased gluten free cupcakes in the past from here, then went back a second time. I am now more educated about cross contamination and noticed that the gluten free cupcakes were on the bottom. Hmmm... That increases the risk of cross-contamination due to flour dust settling on the bottom. Easily fixed issue by moving the location of the gluten free cupcakes to the top shelf, right? I made the suggestion to the staff and received a snippy reply: "If you're that sensitive, then you shouldn't buy anything here." Easily enough done. I walked out and never went back."

• Visited March 2011
4 Thank Lisa G

Charlotte, North Carolina
“How does this place stay in business?”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I have never understood the appeal of Kickass Cupcakes as there is NOTHING special about them, yet they are incredibly expensive. If you enjoy small cupcakes that taste like they came from a mix, you will be satisfied with Kickass Cupcakes. If you want something better, head ANYWHERE - another local cupcake store, a local bakery or even Stop and Shop. They all have this place beat.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank GreenTravelerMA
Boston,MA
“Caring customer service”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

A year ago I ordered cupcakes from KickAss by phone for a family party. I had tried KickAss cupcakes before and really liked everything about them. The person who took my order by phone was helpful and friendly. Sadly, the scheduled party had to be canceled because of a death in my family. My order had to be canceled on the morning of the scheduled pick-up. Whoever took the cancellation the call to cancel the order couldn't have been more considerate. My credit card payment was refunded right away and I received a very kind note as well. I was very touched by their response at that difficult time. So along with delicious cupcakes, their customer service was the best.

• Visited September 2010
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible Service - Rude and dismissive”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I was trying to order cupcakes to be delivered - something which they apparently do - and when I tried to see if I could get less than the normal 12 cupcake minimum (since I was placing multiple orders) the owner was SO rude. Completely dismissive that she would ever entertain the idea (despite that someone on the phone had implied it was possible). Just the worst. Have not had that level of rudeness and rigidity in a LONG time - especially for a small business owner. They certainly don't have a 'please the customer' mantra here. Very different than other bakeries I have worked with in the past (like South End Buttery) which - even if they can't accomodate a request - do it gracefully and apologetically. Will definitely make me never go back.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank Emily A
Marlborough, Massachusetts
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We had gift certificates from a discount website. Normally, these cupcakes are $3 each, but we got a dozen for only $20. For a $3 cupcake, you might expect them to be a bit larger than they are. I can make bigger ones at home and frost them just as well with a frosting kit from Wal-Mart. They do have a decent variety of flavors, but again, they aren't anything too special. The good thing about this place is that it's less than 1/4 mile from the Davis Square station so we didn't have to walk far with the cupcakes and it wasn't hard to find, which was good because we had never been to the area.

We can say we tried them but we can make just as good, if not better, at home, and for WAY less.

JP Licks is probably a better dessert idea in this area.