“Stayed at the wrong hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerville
Reviewed August 19, 2010

La Quinta

Introduction:
We stayed at a La Quinta Inn in Somerville, Massachusetts from July 28 -August 11, 2010, for 2 weeks. The following are some of our comments regarding our stay:

The woman who cleaned our room could not understand or speak little English so we had to communicate with her by sign language.

Since we were going to stay for 2 weeks, I think that they did not assign us one of their better rooms. Our room was small and irregularly shaped.

Bedding:
The maid who originally cleaned our room said that if we want to have our bedding changed that we should put a La Quinta card on the bed and the bedding would be changed. However, that was for our first day. After that, the only time that our bedding was changed was when the maid was in our room and we asked her to change the bedding. Changing bedding every 3 or 4 days is okay but not once in 2 weeks.

When we complained to the front desk they sent a maintenance man with clean bedding to our room. They expected us to change the bedding, not the maid.

Towels:
We are two people staying in the room. Shouldn't there be enough towels in the room for two people? One of the towels that we received had a hole in it the size of my big finger.

Carpet cleaning:
I cannot verify this, but I believe that our room was never vacuumed during our 2-week stay.

Coffee in room:
Having a coffee pot in our room was a nice touch. However, many times we had to go down to the front desk to get coffee packages and cups. We had to clean the coffee pot everyday; the maid never cleaned it.

Breakfast room:
The items offered for breakfast were adequate. However, many times we had to wait to use the toaster behind 5 to 8 people. Sometime the toasters would stop working. Later I found out that the toasters would cause a circuit breaker to blow. If there weren't any staff people around the hotel guests would not be able to use the toasters.
The biggest problem with breakfast was the lack of tables and space to eat. Most times we would see people standing with their food in hand trying to eat.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VacationPhotographer
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed here for one day. It was clean and pleasant. The breakfast area could use some new tables. They were very wobbly. We had to hold it up on one side so that my son would not spill his cereal. Staff was nice and accomodating. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I am happy to report that the night staff at this hotel is much improved since 2007 when they were downright rude. Day and night, the staff seemed glad to be working there and willing to accommodate us and solve problems. The hotel provides shuttle buses on the hour to the airport and the T station, but since this service is on demand, you need to make sure the front desk clerk knows that you need a ride. They will also pick you up from the airport if you call them. One of the vehicles is a bit faded, and emergency window is missing a handle so window rattles open and shut--choose a seat away from this window!

Location is not the most scenic, but for $139 near Boston this is to be expected. It's on the Cambridge side of the Charles River, near some freeways. Driving there can be confusing, but there is free parking, a rarity in Boston. T station is walking distance, but I wouldn't recommend it at night. At night there were taxis at the T station when we returned from Boston, it's a $5 ride and some of them didn't even charge us. During the day we took a local bus.

We stayed two different times. In the first room the carpet was still damp and smelled like shampoo, but it was late at night and we were too tired to switch rooms. At least we knew the room was clean. Luckily it dried by the next day. The fridge functioned, but door was hard to open because someone had smashed the shelves inside. The coffee/tea maker spewed out some odd sediment, but they quickly replaced it with a brand new unit when I mentioned it. In our second room a towel bar was partially ripped off the wall, but I was impressed with the cleanliness of both rooms and bathrooms. The bathroom fan and light switches were separate, providing a little versatility in bathroom use.

The king beds and pillows were very comfortable, in fact the most comfortable beds we found anywhere on our recent CT/MA trip. AC worked great, fortunately, because it was incredibly hot and humid during our stay.

The swimming pool is extremely small, and a staff member had some laughs showing it to us. But seriously, who goes to Boston to swim?

We liked the breakfast: waffles, hard boiled eggs, muffins, cereal, fruit, etc. Start time of 6am meant we could grab breakfast before our flight, but end time of 9am was kinda early when arriving jet-lagged from the West Coast. Still, the breakfast was a plus, as was the free wifi. We will return!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robinko
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Myself and a colleague stayed 10 days in the Cambridge and Boston area for business and we had to change hotel because all hotels were full in Cambridge (due to Harvard commencement). We just stayed one night at La Quinta to take our flight to Logan airport the next day. One night was more than enough! I don't think we could have stayed longer. First of all, the hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. The only restaurant around was a 99 which was decent but again, it was the only restaurant around !
When we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist (which was not smiling at all) told us that there were only smoking rooms available. OK fine, I am myself a smoker. When we arrive at the room, the smell was terrible. Even for a smoker, it was difficult to handle this and there was no way to open the windows. I could barely breath. The smell was so terrible that my colleague decided to take a cab to Cambridge and spend the whole day and evening outside.
The room itself looked very dirty and there were holes on the rug etc. I am surprised that we haven't seen bugs. Surprisingly, bed sheets, toilet and bathroom were clean. We arrive at the breakfast room around 8:00 and the food in the buffet was almost gone. The price of the room was 190 USD/night and I consider it largely overpriced. For me, it doesn't even worth 60 USD/night. The only positive aspect of the hotel is maybe the free internet access but I would never recommend this hotel !!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I selected La Quinta in Somerville since I had stayed at La Quinta on previous occasions in Windsor Locks, Connecticut and Secaucus, New Jersey, and was very impressed with every aspect of my stays. The franchise at Assembly Square in Somerville was not close to the same level of perfection I had experienced at the other locations. Despite the "No Smoking" signs, the elevator area and sixth floor hallway outside our room reeked of cigarettes. There was no smoke odor in our suite. Although I had reserved two doubles with a fold out sleeper for three adults, they could only give me a king with a fold out sleeper. The couch was visibly worn and frayed. No shampoo, conditioner or lotion in the bathroom. The internet did not work. About a half hour after I requested someone to look at it, a maintenance man came running into the suite without knocking and dashed into the bathroom (which was fortunately not in use at the time) to check the toilet. He left after calling the front desk to learn the toilet was malfunctioning two floors below. Another half hour passed when two people came to replace the connection wire for the internet. Later when we opened the sleeper sofa, we discovered that the sheets and blanket were unmade and unchanged from the previous guest. About a half hour after we called for replacement bed linens, a worker came to the door and handed us linens so we could make the bed. The breakfast buffet was poorly maintained, garbage overflowing in the trash bins, and inadequate replenishment of items like eggs, juice and milk. There was no one monitoring the dining area so all requests had to go to the front desk. The table we had (all the others were in use) was dangerously out of balance and kept tipping, spilling coffee and juice at nearly every contact. Sadly the reaction of the folks at the front desk to every one of our concerns was unapologetic. Although I would still recommend the La Quinta chain, I would avoid the one at Assembly Square in Somerville.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I checked in during one of the big rain storms of March 2010. Upon getting to my room (king reserved), I took off my sneakers and walked in. Not 10 steps in, my feet were completely WET. I checked the window and it had silicone poorly applied all over it. With a 7 month old and wife in tow, I went downstairs to get another room. (They only had Queen rooms left) After entering the second room and settling in, I noticed it was quite cold so I turned up the heat. After waiting over an hour for it to warm up, I noticed it was still blowing cool air. During the next 2 hours, maintenance men came and went saying "it'll heat up" -- after 3 hours, I had enough. I asked for a 3rd room. What would soon follow is something I wish none of you ever encounter. I walked with one of the maintenance men to 3 other rooms, each of them with broken HVAC units. One was a King suite but both HVAC units did not work. Another was a Queen suite room with 2 broken HVAC units. I finally settled on another Queen suite room with only 1 working HVAC in the living room. Throughout the stay, I had to keep this on full blast so it could cool down the separate room with the Queen bed. Despite this bad first experience, the breakfast was decent and the location couldn't be beat. It was only a 15 min drive to the convention center. Free parking and free internet was a plus too.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2010

We booked thru MGH where our son is a patient. Room and common areas were very clean and fairly newly appointed (only thing I found dated was the choice of wallpaper pattern). King bed was a little too soft.
Internet access is wired (wifi in Lobby also makes it up to 2nd floor)

Location overall off of Rt. 28 is fine, but actually reaching it is classic Boston...our GPS nearly melted when we made a wrong turn. Follow signs for Middlesex Ave/Assembly Square (adjacent shopping center, which IMO faces the wrong way) and the Ninety Nine restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerville
Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge
AC Hotel Boston Cambridge
AC Hotel Boston Cambridge
#6 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville? Share your experiences!