“oh La Quinta”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerville
A TripAdvisor Member
“oh La Quinta”
Reviewed August 15, 2005

Anyone familiar with La Quinta knows that their establishments are cookie cutter in nature, but the La Quinta Somerville is different. This hotel appears to have been owned by some other company prior to the La Quinta buyout. The hotel is much nicer and well appointed than the average La Quinta, and the rooms are as well. Their staff could be a little nicer, but then again Bostonians are not known for their cheery disposition. A big selling point is their shuttle. They will pick up/drop off from Logan Airport 24/7 as well as do the same for the T station approx 1/2 mile away. The station is called Wellington on the Orange line and will take you directly into the city.
I stayed at the La Quinta Somerville free because of their Rewards program so I cannot comment on the price/value, but I was overall pleased with my stay.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Richmond, VA
Reviewed June 30, 2005

The room was clean and decent and there was a small fridge under the sink outside the bathroom. The staff was very nice and the continental breakfast was full of varieties (they had cereals, yogurts, fruits, pastries, juices, coffees and the waffle was so good). But finding the hotel is a bit tricky. It is very very hard to find the hotel, especially at night. If you are driving, you should call and get the direction from the hotel, not from the mapquest or other websites. Also, getting to Boston wasn't easy, since the nearest T was under construction even though the hotel offered shuttle van to the T. I would recommend this hotel, if you don't mind a bit of inconvenience to get to Boston.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank StarbucksRichmond
earth
Reviewed May 24, 2005

Getting to this La Quinta is terrible! And the front desk was not helpful at all on cell phone trying to direct us there. The hotel doesn't have a sign or anything off highway and no big entrance so you aren't sure where to go in.
Rooms were clean, beds comfortable. Windows do not open not even a crack for fresh air. Reasonable price so if you are on a budget consider this. Also has an airport shuttle that was a selling point for me in choosing this hotel over other Boston hotels.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank alexandria
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 28, 2005

We chose this hotel for our last night in Boston because it was an inexpensive choice that had easy access to the T and they had a free shuttle to the airport. The free hotel shuttle to the T was a little confusing the first time, but very convenient and the driver, while new, was very friendly.

If you are staying for more than a day or two, it is a little far out of town for my preference.

We had a toilet overflow while we were there. We called down and a tech came up to fix it right away. We left and came back to find that he had used our bath towels to sop up the mess and had left them there (ick!). I wrote of this in the Satisfaction Survey and received a personal email from senior management apologizing profusely and offering to make it up to us with a free stay the next time we were in town. I felt that the response was appropriate and it made me feel that much better about our stay at the Tage. When we got home, my partner realized that he had left his shirt at the hotel (a shirt he bought on one of our shopping excursions on the trip). He contacted the hotel and they mailed it to him without charge within a few days, which I felt went above and beyond the call of duty. All in all a good value.

• Stayed April 2004
3 Thank lisakelley
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 19, 2005

This hotel is only about 10 minutes walking distance from public transportation that can take you into the heart of Boston. Upon our arrival the staff upgraded us from 1 king bed to 2 double beds with no questions asked and no additional charges. The room itself was clean and comfortable. We couldn't afford the more expensive hotels located in the city so this was an excellent alternative.

6 Thank Onwi03
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 3, 2005

Really nice hotel! Staff very friendly. Hotel fresh and new. Nice La Quinta Inn and Suites!!!!!

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed January 17, 2005

I attended a workshop in downtown Boston in October 2003, staying at the Tage Inn for five nights. It was difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel room in the Boston area with both the ALCS playoff and the Head of the Charles Regatta going on that week, so when I booked my room at the Tage Inn the price was the main deciding factor. It turned out to be a pretty good choice.

When I checked in, the reception staff honored my grad student ID from an out-of-state government-funded university as proof of government employee status and gave me a discount; he also offered me some fresh fruit for a late-night snack!

The rooms were nice and clean, no problems with the bathroom, bed, phone, or TV. I had a corner room with windows on two sides, but the view was of the I-93 overpass, nothing spectacular. I'm usually very sensitive to noises at night, but the traffic noise was well blocked out and didn't bother me.

The hotel offers self-serve breakfast, including toast, bagels, fruit, cereal, juice, coffee, waffles, muffins, etc. They also had a microwave in the breakfast/snacking area. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there is one right across the parking lot. I did not have an opportunity to eat there. I do not remember seeing other restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, but there were some fast food restaurants and I think a pharmacy and supermarker near Wellington Station (see below).

The free shuttle service was convenient. Most hotel guests used it for transportation between the hotel and the Wellington T Station (subway station on the Orange Line) across the Mystic River north of the hotel. Shuttle pick-up at Wellington Station was available with a phone call, though they made it clear that it might not be available after 10 pm (maybe this has changed since my stay). You do have to walk past some trees and bushes, so a lady alone might not feel comfortable doing this at night. For most people it is just as easy to walk back to the hotel rather than to call and wait for the shuttle. On the Saturday morning the shuttle driver took me all the way to the Bunker Hill and Charlestown Naval Yard area to the U.S.S. Constitution.

The Assembly Square Mall shopping plaza is basically across the street from the hotel. I did not go there during the day, and at night it seemed to be deserted. A longer walk south of the hotel takes you to a movie theater.

Overall I had a very good stay at the Tage Inn. The main disadvantage is probably their location. If you don't have a car, getting around is a bit inconvenient, but they make up for this as best as they can with the shuttle service. To go to Cambridge/Harvard/MIT, you would ride southbound on the T from Wellington to Downtown Crossing (takes about 20 to 25 minutes), then switch to the Red Line northwestbound to get to your destination--or take a taxi. If you have a car you won't have to worry about Tage Inn's location.

I would consider statying at the Tage Inn again on my next trip to Boston/Somerville/Cambridge.

• Stayed October 2003, traveled on business
4 Thank yindw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerville
Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill
Hampton Inn Boston / Cambridge
Porter Square Hotel
Porter Square Hotel
#18 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville? Share your experiences!