“Boston Easter 2009”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerville
Reviewed May 10, 2009

One night stay proved to be sufficient for our motel needs. Rooms were very clean..nice room decor. Breakfast was continental plus a few extras like waffles, yummy! Easy access to the Boston metro. Heater worked well. Bathrooms were very clean. Staff was really friendly. Would go again if needed to.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 17, 2009

We needed a one night stay while visiting colleges in Boston. The La Quinta had the best price for a hotel within the beltway. We got lost and called them at 9:30 pm and they talked us in. The free parking was an additional bonus. The bathroom had the sink outside the bathroom, so that allows one person to get ready while another is showering. Breakfast was typical, but extra points for hot, make-your-own waffles.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel on and off for over 6 years. It used to be a Tage Inn. I saw a post here that said someone saw a person who looked like a prostitute leaving a room. There is a floor here that is set aside for Mass Eye & Ear hospital for folks who are having surgery or treatment. This hotel has been a little safe haven for us over the years and following my little daughter's eye surgery. That torn up lady could have been me working on night two with no sleep and heading for the ice cream machine wearing whatever.

There is a K-mart around the corner for necessities. The hotel is always clean. They used to use this little room for the breakfast room, but I was there in Feb 09 and they now use a different room that is much larger and better, across the hall. They have a waffle maker that you can use yourself, which my family loves.

They also have a washer and dryer on different floors (I have saved a few nice articles of clothing after taking the kids out to dinner) a van service that will take you around the area or to the subway station. It took us right to the hospital for our appointments. We aren't big city people so it saved us a lot of trouble from driving.

I will say that in the last 4 visits, their "spa" was broken. They used to have a tv and workout equiptment in the little spa room. Now the work out equiptment is in a windowed room that used to be the manager's office I think. The spa has no tv. Our last visit, there was a sign on the door that the spa would be open soon. I asked the FD staff who had no idea. They said they would check with the MX man. They called us in our room to say it would be open in an hour. Kids put on suits and waited. We went down. Our key wouldnt' work in the spa door. FD girl let us in. Spa controls didn't work, water was ice cold. We had walked all over Boston all day and were very dissapointed that we couldn't relax in a warm spa.

The breakfast staff lady and the cleaning staff are thorough and very nice & Polite. The rooms have always been clean, and I check.

Also, I worked for a lovely Best Western in the Finger Lakes and a related Cottage Rental agency. I know about customer service, and Jeesh. Their FD staff needs to learn about communication from one shift to another and about being courteous and honest with guests. I would say that since the Tage moved to being the La Quinta it was not an improvement at all. Also, I have had to leave the hotel due to burnt popcorn setting off the smoke detectors 2X. Also, wah who for pet friendly, but get the pooper scooper out and clean up around the grounds at least 2X per day. Really.

Thanks!
Rebecca

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We picked this hotel specifically because it is "pet friendly". We brought our dog and all that worked out OK. Our room was fine, the free breakfast was as-expected (bagles, waffles, yogurts, etc.).

And at a good price for a Boston area hotel.

Now the bad part. We arrived, registered, were given our room keys. Lugged our stuff up to the room (after driving 6 hours), and the key didn't work. I left my wife and daughters and dog standing in the hallway while I went back down to the front desk, and told them what happened. The re-did the magnetic keys and handed them back to me without a word. I asked "are you sure they're OK now?" the woman said yes. No "sorry for the inconvenience" or whatever. Nothing. So I went back up, and tried the keys, this time they worked. We went in the room and....someone else was already in there! I kid you not!! Good thing we didn't catch them in some uncompromising position! So I went back down the desk, and told them. No "sorry about that Sir", nothing, not a darn word. They assigned us to a new room, gave me the keys, we lugged our stuff up another two floors.

Now this was not the hotel's fault, but in the middle of the night, the fire alarms went off, we had to evacuate, the fire company came, determined it was a false alarm. And it was VERY cold out!

The good part is, when I got my bill the next day, it was exactly half of what it should have been. I didn't question it. I assume that this was done either for the room mix up or the false alarm but didn't ask.

p.s. If you do take a dog, there's dog park 2 miles away!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We stayed at the La Quinta in Somerville over a weekend. It was the choice of our family group who were in Somerville for a family celebration. When we arrived, we were assigned to a room that was clearly not available for guests -- the furniture was on the bed, a giant fan was on, maybe to get rid of a cigarette odor. The room we ended up in was fine, but very basic. The management did give us a good discount because of this problem. I would rather have paid the full price and have a more comfortable experience.

The room contained limited toiletries, dim lighting, a coffee maker but no coffee pot or coffee, a refrigerator that was damaged, windows that didn't open, etc. The staff was decidedly unfriendly, I rode the elevator with a woman who was clearly a prostitute leaving a client and the breakfast room was poorly maintained. I have stayed in many of these kinds of hotels before so I have a very good idea of what to expect. This was my first (and last) visit to a La Quinta.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2008

Many of the hotels in downtown Boston are very expensive and if though this one is a short distance from downtown, you couldn't fault the price. We stay here for 4 days in October and fully enjoyed our stay,breakfast was fine and filled a hole before going out for the day. It's not to far from the T station,around 10-15 minutes and it's perfectly safe to walk,be sure to visit the 99 restaurant/bar opposite the hotel,it was just perfect after a long tiring flight.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Newer La Quintas are very nice. This property however is not so new. I think it was previously a different. lower quality chain. THe rooms were ok, but not usual La Quinta quality. Sort of musty and dated, but comfortable.
Breakfast room was very small and crowded and food areas were not cleared up often enough.
We chose to stay here rather than areas in downtown Boston because of the poor reviews on anyplace cheaper than $500 a night, so, pricewise at $170. a night, it was good safe deal. Location wise, it was about a 30 min. walk to the T. We felt the area was a bit sketchy and after walking to the T from the hotel the first night, we decided to take a Taxi in the future.
Boston was terrific. Did the Freedom Trail, Cheers, etc. Never got lost when we followed the red line! Food was great, people were nice. History and sightseeing was beyond our expectations. Love the accents.
La Quinta was just OK.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerville
Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill
Hyatt Place Boston/Medford
AC Hotel Boston North
AC Hotel Boston North
#1 of 2 in Medford
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge
Hampton Inn Boston / Cambridge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston Cambridge-Arlington

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville? Share your experiences!