“Is this a hotel ?!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerville
Shanghai, China
“Is this a hotel ?!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

In the first room I was given, the main door could not be even be locked (!) and the phone did not work, so I had to get downstairs carrying all my luggage again. The new room was barely ok. Always with the old aircon blowing frozen wind (you have to wait about 30 secs after you press the OFF button)
Problem: there was no hot water! It was late and I did not want to complain again. I got to sleep - it was difficult as all the neighours had the water of their bath running, desesperately trying to get hot water. On the next day, I was told one equipment had broken, which explained the absence of hot water. Not sure this was true.

But my disappointment - appart from the fact that I could not have a shower before my 18 hours flight - was:

- Nobody informed me in time there was no hot waterx;
- The bill slipped under my door was <at full rate> (by that time they knew there was a pbm with hot water); Overall, the hotel, especially the public areas looks dirty, especially the elevator (dust in every corner, drink spilled on the door, sticky floor) and the corridors (strange odor).
In the first room I was given, the main door could not be locked (!) and the phone did not work, so I had to get downstairs with all my luggage again. The new room was barely ok. Always with the old aircon blowing frozen wind (it turns off 30 secs after you press the OFF button).
Problem: no hot water! t was late and I did not want to complain again. Next day, I was told one equipment was broken. Not sure this was true.

- Nobody informed me in time there was no hot water

- I understand breakdowns can heppen, but nobody informed me in time there was no hot water;
- The bill was slipped under my door <at full rate> (by that time they knew there was a pbm with hot water); does anyone expect to pay 173 USD for a room without hot water ?
- No follow-up e-mail to say sorry, nor any discount for the inconvenience was offered, despite the fact that I left my e-mail address at the check-out and expressed my disappointment.

Very poor value overall. Next time I will pay more but get a REAL hotel.

Room Tip: Check your front door can be locked before you get out!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank David B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed at the Somerville location in March 2014 and based on that experience, we decided to stay there again. We were surprised to be facing the raunchy stale odor of cigarettes in both of their elevators which also looked like they could stand a thorough cleaning of the walls and floors. It was disappointing to see the breakfast offerings with no attention to restocking even the basics like English muffins and condiments. When you bring it to their attention, they respond with little more than small rations. If your hotel is full or close to capacity, act accordingly!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Gerd S
Hillerød
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 nights here to see Boston. The room was big and the beds fine, but there was a stuffy smell and the windows didn't open. Most of the staff seemed indifferent and not very friendly. It very convenient that they have a shuttleservice to the trainstation.

The breakfast is average but also here the staff were not very friendly (with one exception).

We will not return here, when we're coming back to Boston later this Month.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kirsten G
Tulsa, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Great location for easy access to Boston, Salem area, BOS and near to T station. Upperdeck Tours picks up there every morning. Hotel shuttle to airport and T Station. Walking distance to upscale shopping and dining area. Rooms are just average, housekeeping was just average and breakfast was below average.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Ron D
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We were going to a Harvard graduation. The price we paid was very reasonable, but it was quite a commute to Cambridge. Took about 40 minutes by the T and about 30 minutes the days we drove (traffic and parking in Cambridge were truly awful). Hotel room was not laid out great for 4 people to share. The hotel staff was nice but not real helpful. We were looking for restaurant suggestions and did not get many ideas for the area. The 99 Restaurant next door is good and convenient. It was cold and we had to wait twice for the shuttle at the T for longer than 30 minutes. It is not a great place to wait out in the cold next to the road either. Parking at the hotel was free and not a problem. The continental breakfast was just okay with not a lot of selection. Would pay more and stay somewhere closer next time...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We came into Boston for a couple days after a cruise. The shuttle service was very good and it took us to the "T" station, which was huge, because this hotel was too far to walk. When the shuttle was engaged elsewhere upon our return , the hotel sent a cab to transport us back to the hotel. We so much appreciated this. The hotel was clean and quiet.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Southwick, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Went to Red Sox game. Hotel has free parking, took a cab to and from Fenway . $25 to and $15 from (less traffic). Traffic was crazy and was glad not to drive in it. When I booked I choose a king sized bed with pull out couch, but the bed was a queen. We ordered a cot and still had plenty of room. Free breakfast in the morning was pretty good. All in all, for the short amount of time we were there, it was fine.

• Stayed June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerville
Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill
Freepoint Hotel
Freepoint Hotel
#18 of 20 in Cambridge
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Cambridge-Arlington

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville? Share your experiences!