“Only been for brunch but its been great”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Johnny D's Uptown - CLOSED

Johnny D's Uptown
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Somerville, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Only been for brunch but its been great”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I somehow have only been at brunch but part of that is because i think 11am is the perfect time for a meal. I LOVE their brunches though, which is why this place is my sunday brunch regular go to. Music in the mornings, so nice.

• Visited March 2013

San Diego, California
“Fun, Yummy, Cheap”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went to Johnny D's with younger niece and nephew. Wasn't sure about it because it seemed to be primarily a music club at night. BUT, it was really fun, crowded with people all very engaged and lively, there was music, the whole scene was very upbeat and friendly. The food was surprisingly good, huge portions, and very inexpensive. Don't go with someone who is hard of hearing, but other than that, just about anyone except the elderly would enjoy this place. I would definitely go back.

• Visited April 2013
Medford, Massachusetts
“It can only go up from here...”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Having lived in the area for years, I've always heard great things about the jazz brunch. So after a night out on New Year's, what better a way to ease the pain than soothing music and brunch? Just about anything else, it turns out.

Being crowded, we expected to wait. Our party of 6 waited more than an hour, and were seated in an awkward, drafty corner by the bathrooms. After having a bad coffee from the bar, we were all more than ready for drinks and food, and it remained that way for quite some time. Service was one of the slowest experiences I've ever had. There was an enormous wait between ordering coffees, placing our orders, and finally getting our order. My jambalaya was decent, although the eggs were watery and no good. The home fries were the saving grace. After eating, we sat for what ended up being another hour waiting for our plates to be cleared, the check, and finally our receipts. This may be a good spot at night for music and a few beers, but I won't be revisiting the 'famed' brunch for quite some time if ever. I guess my year can only get better!

• Visited January 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“Rip Roaring New Years Eve”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great music, great crowd. Totally unpretentious place w/ good food & good music. Bootie Vortex had the whole place non-stop dancing. I haven't danced so much in years! They also serve tasty fresh weekend brunches. I love it that this place is five minutes from where I live!

Visited December 2012
Hyde Park, New York
“Great Blues Jam on Sundays”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Went for the "free" blues jam which I think is every Sunday from 4-7 PM. Great music, friendly staff. Can't comment on food except for the Polenta fries which were great. They have blues several nights a week but I think there might be a charge/cover for those nights. I would definitely go back here next time I visit Boston.