“It can only go up from here...”
Review of Johnny D's Uptown - CLOSED

Johnny D's Uptown
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Having lived in the area for years, I've always heard great things about the jazz brunch. So after a night out on New Year's, what better a way to ease the pain than soothing music and brunch? Just about anything else, it turns out.

Being crowded, we expected to wait. Our party of 6 waited more than an hour, and were seated in an awkward, drafty corner by the bathrooms. After having a bad coffee from the bar, we were all more than ready for drinks and food, and it remained that way for quite some time. Service was one of the slowest experiences I've ever had. There was an enormous wait between ordering coffees, placing our orders, and finally getting our order. My jambalaya was decent, although the eggs were watery and no good. The home fries were the saving grace. After eating, we sat for what ended up being another hour waiting for our plates to be cleared, the check, and finally our receipts. This may be a good spot at night for music and a few beers, but I won't be revisiting the 'famed' brunch for quite some time if ever. I guess my year can only get better!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great music, great crowd. Totally unpretentious place w/ good food & good music. Bootie Vortex had the whole place non-stop dancing. I haven't danced so much in years! They also serve tasty fresh weekend brunches. I love it that this place is five minutes from where I live!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Went for the "free" blues jam which I think is every Sunday from 4-7 PM. Great music, friendly staff. Can't comment on food except for the Polenta fries which were great. They have blues several nights a week but I think there might be a charge/cover for those nights. I would definitely go back here next time I visit Boston.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The best grits I have ever eaten! I like this spot because it's centrally located, has jazz, and a good brunch selection. They
have another scene at night but I have only been for B'fast or brunch. Will go again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Check the music calendar and see what's playing. The food has improved and is now better. Depending on the band, there will be more or less dancing going on. Johnny D's tends to draw an older crowd than some other places in Cambridge/Somerville.