“Simple yet yummy brunch”
Review of M3 - CLOSED

M3
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife had asked to visit M3 to close out her "birthday week" so we trekked into Somerville for an early afternoon Saturday brunch. We were seated near a window after 5 minutes
The menu is pretty straight forward with what is best described as Southern inspired comfort food. She went right for the fried chicken and waffles: a thick, light waffle with a slab of apple butter oozing over it next to 4 lightly fried, meaty wings. It doesn't happen a lot but she finished everything on the plate!
I've been jonesing for catfish so I went with the catfish and eggs breakfast. A lightly battered and fried catfish fillet was presented with pulled pork hash, scrambled eggs, buttermilk biscuit, and fruit medley. The edges of the fish were crispy but the flaky white meat inside was fantastic. I couldn't stop there so I ordered a side of chocolate covered bacon... are you kidding me? The sweet chocolate complimented the cooked just right salty bacon perfectly.
But wait.. there's more. A special written on the wall (the walls are blackboards) was a dessert of fried Oreos. Clear any preconceived notion of something you'd find at the Indiana State Fair. The 6 Oreos were encased in the lightest of fried batters with a rasberry sauce to drizzle over them. The cookie retains it's flavor while the creme center comes through ever so slightly when you bite into one. Just perfect.
The only downside of eating at M3, and this is no fault of the restaurant, is the parking situation. Street parking in Somerville is tough to come by, add in the fact that we had a blizzard last week so the streets were still not cleared and you will be driving around for a while trying to find a non resident parking spot. Don't get me wrong, it was worth a few laps around the block to find a spot. We will be back!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Wish I could give M3 a 3.5 rating. Started with the cheese curds and deviled eggs - both were served promptly and we washed them down with a couple of excellent beers. The main course however took a long time and my entree (shrimp & grits) was average at best. It was seasoned very nicely but the grits were a dry paste. I grew up with grits and I like them a variety of ways but this version missed the mark.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I visited M3 on a weeknight with some friends. All the food was delicious and I loved the beer selection. The staff was very friendly but did forget a drink from our drink order and one of our meals but offered us a free round of drinks to make up for it so maybe the server was having an off night. Either way it didn't ruin the evening or our experience.
Make sure if you visit M3 you are hungry, the portions are huge. I shared the meatloaf with my friend and we had the brussels sprouts, sweet potato casserole and pan fiend corn. The meatloaf was delicious, the gravy had a tough of curry which was a nice surprise. The sweet potato casserole is amazing as were the brussel sprouts but skip the corn it was just average. For apps we shared the chicken and waffle dumplings and the fried cheese curd, all were delicious.
In general a great little spot with a hipster vibe but a great spot to hangout and eat with friends. If you are going with a group (especially women) make sure they check out the menu in advance it is not a place that you can get light fare or a salad, be ready to eat!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We arrived at M3 on a Saturday at 1 PM and were told it would be a 30 minute wait. It was over an hour before we sat down. Not much of an attempt to move the patrons along with a line out the door. But, the food is very good. French Toast - yum, as is the house special waffles and Chicken. Duck Burger is very tasty but the Steak and Eggs is worth passing, not great quality steak, the size of a hockey puck. Great location in Davis Square but beware of parking, the public parking is hard to find.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had heard about this restaurant from friends, and my husband has been obsessed with trying chicken and waffles. I brought him out for dinner on Monday night and even on this off night, the place was full. Packed but in a good way. We started with a round of canned beers and our server had excellent recommendations for us. We then had the special appetizer, "vittles", the fried mac and cheese balls. Amazing! I liked mine dipped in ketchup and my husband liked his in the provided vinegar sauce. For the entrees, my husband got his long-wanted chicken and waffles and all I can say, is that he stopped talking for a good 5 minutes to devour the first few bites. It was that good for him. I got the mother hen plate of four assorted sides: biscuits and cornbread which were to die for, the pimento cheese fries and the sweet potato casserole, which were both just ok. Then even though we were bursting at the seams, it was his birthday, and we shared the dessert special: tollhouse pie with ice cream. Overall a really great meal with generous portions, a fun atmosphere and definitely worth a return visit!