“Worst experience in my dining history”
Review of Diva Indian Bistro

Diva Indian Bistro
Ranked #62 of 315 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

After setting up a Valentine's Day reservation for 8 PM, I was very excited to continue on with my day after work and enjoy a nice Indian dinner with my significant other.

Unfortunately, the experience from the first minute we got in there (they sat us next to a window that let's a strong, cold breeze into the restaurant), which continued throughout the time. I was hoping that they would redeem themselves with the food they provided.

So we first ordered a few appetizers and then went on to the main courses. Not only was all the food cold, but they didn't serve us all the food included in the entree and what's worse is that our waiter was very rude and didn't not care at all that we complained about the low temperature of the food. Not that I know for sure, but it seemed like friends and family of the restaurant were getting hotter, better quality and a higher quantity of food. What's worse is that we were not treated as customers but if anything as an inconveniences for choosing their place to eat.

The couple sitting a table over from us left within 10 minutes because they kept questioning if their appetizers had all the ingredients advertised and over and over they would ask the chef--who would confirm but was clearly lying. It was a disappointment that anyone would come here to eat and be treated like this, much-less on their special day. Being less of the optimist than my better half, I politely pointed out that there were some issues with our food, including the chicken having no tender parts and my girlfriend and I ordering mild and medium spices respectively but the food tasted like something you would give your new born baby (no spice at all).

So once we proceeded to ask for the check (almost immediately after getting our entree), our waiter went over and got the check for us, did not thank us for dining or anything of that sort, and just left the table (assuming we would be leaving shortly after--which we were). Everyone else, who seemed like family or friends seemed like they were aware of this shortage of hospitality yet they were being treated like kings and queens in my opinion.

I've been to many Indian Restaurants and would consider my knowledge of the culture and food to be average to many others in Boston. However, this was not Indian food--it was the fast food version of what you would serve to someone who has no money and can't afford to pay for a nice meal. Not worth the $50-$70 you will pay for a disappointing evening and meal.

I highly recommend against Diva and the main reason is service, lack of integrity, and overall rudeness with their customers.

4  Thank TAAlejandro

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went there on a Saturday night and seated quickly! Beautifully decorated and clean! Menu has lots to choose from, and everything seemed reasonably priced! The lentil soup and lychee bliss martini were delicious! Can't complain about a single thing! Portions were large, and we saved room for dessert simply bc we peeked early and "had to"! Good move on our behalf! Strongly recommend the mango ice cream and rice pudding! Yum!!! Will definitely be back!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Diva Indian Bistro is an attractive restaurant in the center of bustling Davis Square. We arrived for an early (6:00pm) Saturday evening dinner. We were greeted immediately and seated in a comfortable booth with pillows, which was a nice touch. The menu is extensive and contains items from regions of India. We shared a tandoori chicken caesar appetizer; for entrees we ordered tandoori duck masala and lychee chicken. The appetizer was so large that we were glad that we only ordered one to share. Both the tandoori duck and the lychee chicken were excellent, although both of us preferred the wonderfully balanced flavor of the lychee chicken. The service was fine, although not overly friendly. The extensive menu has items for every taste. The prices were very reasonable. By the time we left at 7:30, the restaurant was packed and the vibrant atmosphere indicated a happy group of diners. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is one of our favorite restaurants in the area. We always leave happy, the Tikka Masala always tastes tomatoey and the Korma always has a bit of a kick. It make for a nice cozy date night.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Diva Indian Bistro offered outstanding, friendly service and delicious food during our recent Saturday evening visit. Our waiter was kind and accomodating, bringing a complimentary, tasty amuse bouche and freshly baked Naan to the table as soon as we sat down. We chose the Vegetarian Samosas for an appetizer, which came with an array of great dipping sauces. I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala for my entree. Both dishes were absolutely wonderful, easily the best Indian food I have had since eating some in London. It is also reasonably priced, and the atmosphere and decor are lovely. I can highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Hexy