“Waiter forgot to place our order”

The Independent Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #132 of 315 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My sister is a local and enjoys the cocktails at this restaurant/bar. However, after this last visit she is not interested in this place any longer even for a drink. She took me here while I was visiting and we got the last available table without a wait at about 8:30 on a Thursday evening. It took a while for a waiter to stop by and ask for drink orders. They do have a large selection of beers and cocktails. Then we placed our order. All of us were starving at this point and kept watching other food being brought out. Food never came for us! After about a 1/2 hour our waiter came to the table to tell us he never placed our food order and took it again!!! The manager brought over roasted almonds to try and please us, but unfortunately we were still really hungry and almonds don't help.

The food was just ok. My sister said the fried chicken tasted sour and didn't particularly enjoy it. The veggie burger I ate was just ok. Definitely not anything special.

They offered us free dessert, but none of us really wanted it. They sort of pushed it on us and offered to box it up. We ordered the strawberry shortcake to go. What a mistake! When we got home and tried to put it together, the biscuit was super dry and awful. Probably the worst biscuit I have ever tasted and the strawberries tasted like GARLIC! Yes that is garlic. Needless to say we tossed the "free dessert" because it was too gross to eat.

I was pretty disappointed with the overall experience and would have preferred they comp our drinks or even one meal from their terrible mistake. The place was loud and it was hard to talk over all the noise including the tv.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is a real neighborhood place. It's always buzzing and has a friendly atmosphere. The food is fresh and good. There's always a great beer selection. "The Indo" does it right.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We made two visits to The Independent, once for brunch and recently for a late dinner. The feel of the place is that of a neighborhood pub. There is a large selection of draft beers, not a surprise, but the quality of service and food were a welcome one. One indication that a pub is looking to do something more with their food than accompany the alcohol is the quality of the salads, and my wife's cucumber and tomato and my quinoa salad did not disappoint. Her chowder was rich and smoky with bacon but not overly thick or greasy. The Independent has made it on to our 'visit regularly' list.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

This Irish themed bar in Somerville has some great pub food at reasonable prices. Friendly, helpful staff. Bar staff not too knowledgeable about Irish cocktails and drinks however; even when directed on how to make a Black Velvet, a disgusting Snake Bite was served up. Otherwise a very pleasant evening with good food and great service.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

I like the atmosphere of the Independent..good pub grub too.