“Good food, laughably poor service”
Review of The Kebab Factory

The Kebab Factory
Ranked #154 of 311 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the restaurant for dinner and were promptly seated. After this, the service broke down. We had to wait nearly 40min before our order was even taken, despite flagging down our hostess several times, who kept saying "just a minute". Finally after a long wait, we placed our orders. Our drinks were forgotten despite multiple reminders, and several items we had ordered were never brought out, again despite several reminders. The food was actually good, and the restaurant has a lot of potential, but the service is just horrendous.

1  Thank V-Rage

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I love Indian food and thought that this place was pretty good! I thought it was a little more pricey than it should have been but overall a good experience.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Food is amazing. We are Indians so found the korma very bland - which may be fine for others. Their "dry" kebabs were perhaps the nicest I have had. Their service is very poor, in part because of the servers are not fluent in English. Once you go through that (dont expect recommendations or small talk), and assuming you have gone to a restaurant to eat, you will not be disappointed. Rather small which has its own pluses and minuses.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Amazing! My friend and I found this Indian buffet totally by accident. We were roaming the mean streets of Somerville/Cambridge (I never quite know which city I'm in) and freezing our tails off when we saw the Kebab Factory looming like a beacon of hope and warmth about a block away. We figured that we'd go in, ask where our main destination was, and get a small meal. Boy, were we mistaken! The first thing I saw when I walked in was a heaping mound of aloo gobi (my favorite Indian dish). I then saw about 50 people and was momentarily afraid but I soldiered on and we quickly decided to check out the buffet. Seating is tight but if you get a table a little far back from the buffet then it's fine. I felt bad for the people sitting almost up against it as there was a constant stream of hungry customers idling by their tables as they waited to ascend to the promised land.
The food was amazing. Yup, going to use that word a lot in this review. What a selection! I fell in love with what I assume is a dessert item that tasted like cinnamon cake crumbled down into little squares. And, for those wimps like me, very little was too spicy to eat. I wish I could tell you the names of the dishes but all I know was that each one was pure yum. Yum. Of course, we were gluttons and went back for seconds. You have to do that when at a buffet of this amazingness.
The price amazed us too. We thought it'd be around $40, and were shocked to see only $23! You can't even get one meal at most Indian restaurants for that price let alone two people going to the buffet and loading up twice. Um, amazing anyone? So yes- go, go, go! Don't eat first because you really need to experience this buffet in all its glory with a lot of room in your tummy. Undoubtedly, the best random restaurant we have ever stumbled into to get out of the cold!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have been dining at the Kebab Factory for maybe 8 years, and over that time, the food and the service have remained consistently good, whether we eat in or take out. The tandoori chicken is one of our favorites, and the tomato cream sauce that comes with it is so delicious. The flavors of everything we've tried are wonderful, the food isn't too spicy, and the portion sizes are generous for the price. Whenever we have guests in town, if they like Indian food we always suggest Kebab Factory. The little extras at Kebab Factory - like a complementary cup of their mushroom soup as you are waiting for your takeout order - have endeared me to this place.