“Tasty food, flavors you can't get elsewhere!”
Review of Tu Y Yo

Tu Y Yo
Ranked #39 of 313 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This very pleasant, out of the way restaurant is worth a try. Service is great, the menu is varied, the food is delicious and it's not too expensive!

1  Thank r82913

Reviewed August 2, 2012

"Diners were polarized in rating for this "homey" Mexican, with "friendly service; but agreed that "tables with a steel column in the middle" were "kinda small;" and the apps were mostly "delicious" (the sope) and "spicey and good" (the Mexican sausage), the main courses didn't meet our "[high] expectations," other than the "sublime chiles rellenos."

Food: 3.5
Service: 3.5
Decor: 3
Overall: 3

Lightly edited comments follow:

"While my Mexican sausage app was spicy and good, I thought my pork and cactus was rather bland. Service was friendly and the atmosphere was comfortable and homey."

---

"My expectations were really high going into this visit so I may have built it up to be the ultimate in Mexican when I got here, but upon reflection, it falls victim to the same issue I've had with every other Mexican restaurant in New England; every one of them is trying so hard to elevate Mexican food to some fine dining experience, when really, all I want is an expertly made taco, a truly flavorful enchilada, and a good helping of cheese that I wouldn't normally eat. (Yes, that was one sentence, but I'm pretty certain it's grammatically correct. ha!)

I'd go back, but I'm still not happy that I haven't found the Mexican food I want. Quit trying so damned hard to impress me with your exotic foods (grasshopper, anyone?), and get back to basics. The sope was really delicious. Why wasn't more of that evident in the rest of the meal?"

---

"The fungus crepe was bland with too much sauce and an amateur plating. The chiles relleños were sublime ... but... both dishes came out of the kitchen cold. When I arrived, they tried to arrange the table for us with the steel column in the middle of the two tables! I had to get Helen to make them change it and they still refused to move us more than 6" from that column. I'm sure that the woman in charge was glaring as we were enjoying ourselves which is why they stopped filling our water glasses or checking if we would like more coffee. Putas!! Conyos!! But those chiles relleños were good."

---

"Besides Chipotle, don't have much experience with Mexican, (not even Mexican men either) so it was a treat, especially the fungus. The tables were kind of small for our massive appetites, but all in all, I really enjoyed the place, and would come back again! "

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Before I moved away, I would come to this place as often as I could. This place is really a local gem, with a unique menu and atmosphere you can't find many places, especially around Boston. The food is excellent, and truly Mexican; it's not your typical burritos and tacos type of place. They have a lot of Traditional (like Mayan) dishes, plus seafood, cactus, etc. The sangria is also great. A particularly nice feature is that this place is rarely crowded, so you can actually get a table on a Friday or Saturday night without waiting!

1  Thank Ben W
Reviewed July 10, 2012

While visiting my daugher in ma we looked up mexican food and decided to try it. Food was a little pricey and portions were not large but filling. We ordered the plaintain empanadas w/cheese (3) & flautas both were delicious but small. I ordered as my main course the chicken sorry forgot the name. it was pulled with delicious well balanced spices it came with refried beans and rice. I didn't like the fact that it didn't come with tortillas I had to pay a $1.00 extra which I didn't know until I got the bill. Our bill total was aprox $66.00. Just two days before we were in NYC china town and ordered mulitple dishes with 4 people and it came to less.
The food was a little pricey for most but it was very good and I would come back again but I like to try different places when I go away.

Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Great traditional Mexican/ central American fair. I had a great vegitarian plate with cactus as the main ingredient. The meals are medium size and with a group I would suggest appetizers. Ultimately Tu Y Yo is a little expensive, but worth it on occation for the great food.