“A hole in the wall place with excellent subs!”

Royal Pizza and Subs
Ranked #164 of 304 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Pizza
Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hole in the wall place with excellent subs!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had some training in Boston for a few days during the week and managed to tack on a few extra days for sightseeing. Like the previous three reviewers, I too was staying at the Holiday Inn across the street. I came in on a Sunday and went out exploring the city. Upon returning to the hotel, I noticed that this place was closed, but it was certainly convenient to the hotel. After another day of sightseeing on Monday, rather than eat downtown and take the train to the hotel later at night, I thought I'd give this little shop a try. I returned about 8:00 pm, to find that they were open - they are open until 10:00 pm, Monday-Saturday.

I was surprised by the variety of the menu - a variety of salads, spaghetti dishes, subs, wraps, calzones, pizzas. I settled on the Pepper Steak Sub. As I was waiting for my order and perusing the menu board, I noticed the "Steak Bomb" on the menu and asked what that was. Apparently, it is like the Pepper Steak, but with cheese, grilled onions, peppers, and mushrooms. That sounded even better, so I asked if it was too late to change my order, as it was a similar sandwich. They easily accomodated the change and, as it turned out, it was an excellent sandwich. In fact, it was so good, I came back another night during my stay for the same sub. I ordered fries as well, which turned out to be very flavorful, and there were way more than I could eat.

The subs were reasonably priced and the guys working there were quite friendly and provided great service. As I was waiting for my order, two different bus operators, who work for the "T", came in for a quick order between shifts, raving about the food. Now I know why.

• Visited May 2013

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Convenient from hotel”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

While staying at Holiday Inn across the street, this place was the most convenient for a quick eat. We had the meatball sub and chicken fingers spaghetti. The sub was okay, didn't like the spag. They do have an extensive menu so got lots of choices. Will probably try their pizza next time.

Visited April 2013
“Delivery Pizza Terrible”
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Staying at the Holiday Inn next door. On Monday night they have a delivery special on cheese pizza. The pizza showed up in about five minutes. They could not have had time to make it. They must pre-make the pizzas. It shrunk so much that it looked like a piece was missing. The crust was super thin as was the cheese and sauce. Don't bother running a special if this is the kind of quality the customer can expect.

I also ordered a tossed salad. The salad was very good. I prefer iceberg lettuce and it was loaded. Unfortunately the salad did not make up for the very bad pizza. I rated the service excellent since the pizza showed up so quickly. But considering it showed up quickly because it was premade I may have made a mistake.

Phillipsburg, New Jersey
“Sub Sandwich”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I am in town on business at the Holiday Inn, 30 washington St. I saw the Royal Pizza and Subs and thought, that's a place to get something quick meal. I got the Italian Sub with everything. Great bread, lot of meat and fixin's. Love it. Can't wait to try thier pizza.

• Visited June 2012