“Excellent Brewpub”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Five Horses Tavern

Five Horses Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Horses Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 304 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Grove St
Carol Stream, IL
“Excellent Brewpub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Nicely appointed brewpub near Davis Square in Somerville has a great selection of beers and excellent food. The pub was busy but not overly crowded on a Tuesday night. The weather was nice so the front windows were open and inviting us in.

My wife and I like a wide variety of beers and the beer menu didn't disappoint us. I like to choose local beers whenever possible, and they had a great selection of Mass and NE beers, along with craft beers from around the world.

Atmosphere was energetic and a bit loud for conversation - I can only imagine what it is like on a Saturday night!

• Visited September 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“They do know beer (and food, and service)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Clever food options. One diner of group said " best crab cakes ever". Quick service. Only drawback - IT WAS FREEZING-cold in there.

Visited September 2013
Massachusetts
“Great spot for post-work beers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went here on a Wednesday night with a date for an after dinner drink. The service was prompt and I like the atmosphere inside. It's averagely-priced for the area. We had the wings which were really good - but missing a dipping sauce! Whenever I walk by this place Thursday - Sunday it's packed so plan ahead! On nice days you can eat outside. I'd go back for sure.

New York City, New York
“They Know Beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Unbelievable beer selection and the staff know their stuff. My waiter recommended me two new brews that were not on the menu and me being a bit of a beer snob knew they were some of the hard to get releases. The food was good, I had one of their pizzas (just so..so) my wife had a salad and baked Brie Appetizer and daughter had the Capon which they enjoyed. Definitely will return when in town. Also they told me it would be 30 min wait and they found us at the bar and seated us in 10 mins....gotta love that.

Boston, Massachusetts
“not as good as the menu makes it sound”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I feel bad calling this place a "bait and switch" but that is truly how our group felt upon leaving the restaurant. 4 of us had dinner here on Saturday night. We thought the restaurant had a great vibe to it, and we were enticed by that amazing menu. The food sounded inventive and satisfying. Between the four of us, 1 person thought their entree was "just okay" (and that was the fried chicken and pork belly mac n cheese - so much butter and fat that it would've been hard for them to screw up this entree anyhow). Lobster rolls are a dissapointment when your favorite part ends up being the bread. My friend who ordered the soft-shell crab was bummed out by his teenie tiny crab (about 3 bites in total). I had the crab cakes, and the actual crab cakes were great and a good portion size, but everything else on that plate was bad. I couldn't eat the salad that came with it because it was overpowered by too much raw red onion, and the dressing had no flavor. We left the place severely dissapointed, never to return (okay, MAYBE for a burger and a beer...but that's it...)

Only positive part of the evening was that we were seated immediately. When you can get a table that fast at 7pm on a Saturday, you should probably just turn around and go somewhere else.