“Still Hungry with no money left”
Review of Journeyman - CLOSED

Journeyman
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Journeyman serves creative, ingredient-driven tasting menus in a comfortable and unpretentious setting. We feature local producers, natural wine makers, and craft cocktails from our sister establishment backbar.
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Ok, I am going to be the one that is goes against the wave. We headed here with recommendation from friends, and amazing reviews. We were disappointed in so many ways. This is fine dining. You are paying for artistry, flavor and service. You do not get to pick your meal it is a tasting menu which can be accompanied by a wine pairing. We went the whole nine yards. The full tasting menu and wine pairing. Which runs about 150 per person. Ok I was prepared to be wowed! to learn to be treated like a queen.
Well it fell short for me. The staff was nice, but when they presented your tasting it was if they had marbles in their mouths when describing it. I couldn't here them and they rushed through the description. It seemed as if they weren't really sure what they were serving. The tastings are just that, a taste, a mouthful. 9 mouthfuls. The food itself although beautifully presented lacked the pizazz I was expecting. Out of 9 bites I found 1 meal great, the razorback clams (3 small strips of razor clams) and one very good, but I had so little to try I have no idea if it was that good ( a bite of lamb and a small bit of lamb sausage) seriously 1 bite each. that was the main course. The tastings came pretty quickly too and did not give us time to really savor our wine.
In addition I was freezing. It was cold in the restaurant, I actually sat with my winter coat on and not once did a waiter ask me if I was too cold. Not to be petty but when you are paying this much you want your needs to be noticed. When you leave food on a plate you wanted to be questioned whether it was ok or not and how can they better serve you.
Having eaten at many farm to table restaurants, I wanted to be blown away. Instead my wallet was blown away and I was looking where we could stop on the way home to get a bite to eat. I know you may say ahhh she doesn't understand fine dining or the artistry of it, and maybe I don't. I do understand what it is like to be blown away by a meal and I just wasn't here.

3  Thank Washburn7ed
There are newer reviews for Journeyman

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I will keep going to this place, either just with my wife (it's romantic), or with friends (it's also casual, in an upscale way). The food is excellent: it's tasty and creative. Every time I go, I feel the meal was hand-picked for me.

1  Thank mountain_goat11
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I sat at the bar to watch the action in their tightly packed, highly organized, swiss-clock-like kitchen. We did the tasting menu w/o wine pairings - we wanted the cocktails, which are amazing. I think they share BackBar's bartenders. Food was what you'd expect from a place where every tiny detail is perfected, but without being high-faluting - this team isn't about fancy, just artful. Highly recommended.

1  Thank FuriousTiki
Reviewed September 13, 2013

You've been to per se and Chez Panisse, and scored one of those final el bulli reservations? You haven't eaten, until you set foot into Journeyman. Simply amazing.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The main room and the seats at the bar both presented delightful views at Journeyman. If you sit at the bar you get to watch the chefs cook. In the main room you have views of incredible plants basking in the sun. The tables and chairs and very trendy. The service is excellent. Very well prepared wine list, with excellent 'nouveau' cocktails. The surprise tasting menu (envelope provided if you wish to peak) is the way to go! The kind of place you wish every town had!