“Not bad even for a meat eater.”
Review of True Bistro

True Bistro
Ranked #18 of 311 Restaurants in Somerville
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Although I enjoy chicken and fish even I can say this was a good eating experience. The dessert was my favourite dish. The service was excellent and the food was not costly.

1  Thank PeacefulWarrior67

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The restaurant takes no reservations, but we called ahead to see how full they were. Packed! But the owner, a charming Bermudian, took our name and fit us in soon after we arrived an hour later, as suggested. The food was sublime! Each dish had its own distinctive flavor and beautiful presentation. Our waitperson was lovely, patient, efficient, and also quite beautiful. The wine was reasonably priced.

My only concern is the lack of noise-absorbing decor -- all hard surfaces with the exception of an upholstered bench seating area. I know I'm old, and like quiet, and young people like the energy of louder places -- but if they could only use their indoor voices, especially in such a small, intimates, white tablecloth and napkins, delightful restaurant.

1  Thank RJvacations
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was a great little restaurant and has yummy vegan cuisine from a top quality chef. Don't miss it if you're near Tufts or anywhere in the Boston area. It has a nice interior, great waitstaff, and a varied and delicious menu. It has the atmosphere of a fine restaurant crossed with a neighborhood eatery. I can't imagine not liking this experience.

2  Thank Janet S
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Vegetarians and vegans have a tough time finding restaurants that offer well-prepared, suitable fare, which is part of what makes visits to True Bistro such a revelation. As its name suggests, this is honest, carefully prepared, and intelligently presented food. I'm always impressed with the sensible way the offerings are described. Not only is there no attempt to lure in unsuspecting meat eaters by naming things "steak" or "chicken," but they don't stretch credulity with buzzwords like "artisanal" or "house-made." But those are just the trimmings that I happen to appreciate. It's the food that matters, and I have never had anything that was less than delectable at True Bistro. The well-informed staff describe specials and answer questions in human-speak, so you understand up front what the meal will involve. When your dishes arrive, they are extremely attractive, but steer clear of those trendy fillips that distract from flavor, texture, scent, and sight. I've always enjoyed the wine at True Bistro, but commenting in more detail is best left to oenophiles. On the other hand, I'm fully qualified to write about the desserts, which are wonderful. They always "speak" of their principal ingredients, such as fresh fruit. (I recall a cobbler—in January, no less—that tasted like the chef had handpicked the ingredients that morning.) I attribute this, in part, to the judicious use of sweetener, which is never permitted to overwhelm the flavors of the dessert's "main event." I clicked the fifth disk above without a moment's hesitation, and I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank Brian H
Reviewed July 21, 2013

First of all let me say that I am far from being vegan. My wife and I are visiting our son and his wife, they are vegan. They invited us to dine with them at this small vegan restaurant very near Boston, MA. This place is first class. The food was incredible. A small, but nice selection of wine, beer and cocktails. Wait staff was great! We were very lucky to hit it perfect to where we didn't have to wait for a table. Like any great places to eat, there may be a wait for a table, it's worth it. If you have the courage to make it through the door, stay long enough to try the dessert called "Death By Chocolate". It's a great way to go. If I could eat like this everyday, I would be a vegan in a heartbeat. The wait staff was cheerful and the owner worked just as hard as everyone else. You could tell that this place is his passion.

1  Thank hogtraveler