“Inspired, inventive flavor profiles, inventive cocktails, great wine list”
Review of Bergamot

Bergamot
Reserve with OpenTable
Bergamot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 320 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Harvard (Red Line) #86 Bus (Cleveland Circle, Sullivan Sq via Harvard Sq) #83 Bus (Rindge Avenue, Central Sq via Porter Sq)
Description: New restaurant
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Had the 7 course tasting menu with paired wines last night and it was simply one of the best meals I've had in years. Roasted beets with duck confit, asparagus salad, spring pea risotto (a knockout!), garlic soup (the only slight disappointment), pan roasted mahi-mahi, a palate cleanser of coconut lime sorbet with toasted coconut, the best pork tenderloin I've ever had, rich, meaty and full of flavor and an almost indescribable dessert with a small cake, marinated muscat grapes and candied kalamata olives - truly inspired. The wines were varied and perfectly matched. The bread was so good I ate *three* slices (with an outstanding house 'everything' butter that included garlic, salt, sesame seeds and more). Presentations were artful and the many flavors in each dish made for ever changing notes throughout each course. Service was friendly, informative and quick without being obtrusive. If I had one small complaint to make about Bergamot's, it's that the banquet seating along the wall is short by an inch or two, making the table seem too high up on that side. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We were at Bergamot for my wife's birthday dinner. My experience was fine but it was nothing outstanding. As we were pulling into the restaurant, I was afraid that I would not be able to find street parking (and I would have been right in terms of street parking) but fortunately, there was a designated parking lot right behind the restaurant and that helped enormously in finding a parking spot in time.

When it came to ordering food, two of the five of us ordered from the prix fixe menu and another three decided to order ala carte. As we were still in the process of deciding on what to order, our server came and informed us that there were only three veggie strudels left and if we wanted to order one, we should get that soon. As one of our companions was a vegetarian and as the strudel was the ONLY veggie option on the entire menu, she confirmed that she wanted one right away.

I went for the prix fixe menu and my choices were cornbread cavatelli as appetizer and pan-seared cod for the main course. The cavatelli was certainly very different from what I had expected (though that probably speaks more to my ignorance than the quality of the dish itself) and was quite unremarkable in its taste. The description read "House-made Ham, English Peas, Shiitake Mushrooms, Carrot, Fermented Honey" and blame my plebeian taste buds but I couldn't make out either the corn bread or the honey. Next to come (after a long wait btw) was the pan-seared cod. It was certainly better than the appetizer but cod tends to be a light fish and so it was quite underwhelming. A pertinent question here would be why order a light fish if that is not what I like and that brings me to my biggest gripe about this place - its super-limited choices. There are exactly 6 options for main course and no lamb or steak or duck items are on hand. Neither were there any lobster or crab dishes available as main course. Given the limited choices and given that we wanted to try out the various options, I ended up getting a dish that was not entirely to my liking to begin with.

Lastly when it came to dessert, I ended up getting the milk and cookies. The name for this dish does not quite do it justice because the most important element of the dish is a coffee ice cream rather than either milk (duh!) or cookies. The dessert was probably the part of my meal I enjoyed the most but portion sizes were quite small.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed by my experience, its good service notwithstanding. It is not that there was anything particularly wrong with any of the dishes or with its service or with the ambiance. It is just that this was a place not quite up my alley. My taste buds like a bit more spice and rich flavors than this place dishes out (no pun intended) and the super limited choices are its biggest drawback. The fact that it is also ends up being somewhat pricey doesn't help. I doubt I would be back here at all. If I were dining out for a special occasion (as was the case today), I would prefer going back to old favorites like Atlantic Fish Company or even another excellent option right down the street from Bergamot - Dali!

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Great food, everything in the menu is excellent. mid range prices, and definitely worth every dollar, IMHO.
Sitting at the bar is nice too, where you can hang out with the bartender and some of the regular crowd.
If I have to recommand one restaurant in Boston area, this would be it!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Made a return visit to Bergamot to try again after a couple of years. The experience was very uneven. One diner enjoyed the split pea soup's strong flavoring with smoked pork trotter. Sadly the flavors of the seafood in the Cappellini alle Vongole were totally lost due to the dish's predominant flavor of salt, which did not come across as sea but simply as salt. The elements of the Grapefruit and Roasted Golden Beet Salad were fine, but skimpy. The sauce on the plate with the Pan-Seared Local Cod was pleasant but there was barely any of it leaving an impression of bland, unseasoned, albeit well cooked cod. In contrast the Pan-Seared Swordfish was flavorful and thoroughly enjoyable. Deserts were "deconstructed" to the point of leaving diners wondering what if anything they had eaten. The Roasted White Chocolate Cheesecake included a bit of tasty grapefruit sorbet, about 2 teaspoons of a cheesecake flavored mash, and some crispy bits of sesame/coconut scattered around. Similarly the most substantial part of the Milk and Cookies was a small bit of coffee ice cream. The rest was small bits of things scattered around the plate. This might have worked if the flavors were powerful enough, but that was not the case so it came across as someone's attempt at being sophisticated gone awry. The cheese plate was lovely and the cheeses well chosen. Finally, the first wine chosen off the menu was undrinkable (but deemed by the wine steward to not be corked.) To their credit this wine was not charged to the table and another wine was chosen that was quite a nice accompaniment to the food. All in all, a mixed experience.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

My sister had been trying to plan a double date since her second child turned 6 months, they needed a night away and since we always go to their house they decided to come visit us. She found a Groupon for Bergamot. It was a 7-course meal for 4. I was pleasantly surprised when we found a place that didn’t have an issue making a reservation for a Saturday night using a Groupon, so that was a bonus. Then I was even more impressed that they told us they would honor our Groupon even after the expiration date because the earliest Saturday we could get in was after the expiration date. Finally a place with good business practices. They never had an issue or treated us differently for using one.

I have a tree nut allergy and my boyfriend a seafood allergy, even with the pre-fixed menu they accommodated completely without any complaint. The food was excellent and we were always looking forward to the next tasting. The only gripes I had were that even with 7 courses we were actually still slightly hungry in the end. We were holding out hoping the tasting that preceded dessert would be something more substantial. It was a bit underwhelming. The dessert was a bit of a letdown when you got a sorbet then a sorbet dessert…dessert would have been nice if it didn’t feel like two serving of sorbet, maybe a nice piece of cake next time.

As for the drinks we all enjoyed the great selection and creative cocktail offerings, they were pricy but I guess that’s to be expected.

It had a nice ambiance. Our waiter was delightful (we felt lucky to have him, since others seemed quite stiff).

Would we go back? It was a 50/50 draw.