“Home Away From Home.”

Ranked #2 of 312 Restaurants in Somerville
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is hands-down the best breakfast place in New England. The owner, Mike, goes out of his way to make sure every single customer feels like family. He truly appreciates anyone that steps through his door and takes pride in this wonderful cafe. The staff is friendly, helpful and enjoy what they do. The lines move quick and the food is well worth the (fairly short) wait. And bonus, on cold days, Mike brings out hot cocoa on the house to warm you up in line. The stuffed french toast, omelette specials and grilled mash - a delicious spin on hashbrowns + mashed potatoes - are all to die for! Everything is made to order and even the fruit platters are excellent - jam packed full of berries, grapes, bananas and melon. They have great gluten free options too. Ball Square is truly Boston's diamond in the rough!

1  Thank ashley l
Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Best breakfast place in New England? What an amazing compliment! I'm truly humbled by this review, and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts here on Yelp, Ashley. I can't wait to share this feedback with the rest of the team. Whenever you're craving a good breakfast, you're always welcome here.

All the best,
Mike

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I came here on a Saturday morning around 11 am for brunch. There was a line outside, but we only had to wait for 10 minutes or so until a table for two opened up and we got to jump the other customers in line who had larger groups. The menu is pretty diverse and has a nice selection. I ordered the tomato and avocado eggs Benedict dish with the homefries, and my friend ordered the florentino eggs Benedict with homefries. It is self serve for beverages (not everything is free refills though!)

We both enjoyed our dishes overall. Our waitress came over and placed the check on the ledge next to the wall and told us to take our time. My friend and I had a lot to catch up on and sat for another 20 minutes or so before a man working there came over and asked us to pay and leave. It was a little abrupt, but I somewhat understand since there were still other customers that they wanted to serve and it's all about turnover. I would have given this place a "very good" rating, but because of this interaction I am giving a average rating. I would have appreciated a little but of a kinder gesture such as asking if we needed anything else, instead of just asking us to pay and leave.

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

I'm happy you and your friend enjoyed the food, Melisa! We love serving our guests a delicious breakfast, and it never fails to make us smile when we hear positive feedback like that. On a different note, we never meant to offend by asking you to leave once you were done eating. We only do that so other people waiting in line can get seated quickly too.

Since it sounds like you and your friend had a good time otherwise, I'd love to welcome you back to try more of our menu. If you have any further comments, please don't hesitate to reach out.

All the best,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I love breakfast and this place is perfect. Tons of options and amazing food. Our server Matt was wonderful. He was hilarious and just made our day. He was very helpful and professional. Both mine and my husbands omlettes were huge and so good! The place was packed and people were waiting outside to get in. I wish we lived here to come back each weekend, yes, it is that good!

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thanks so much, Misty! We're proud of our food and service, so hearing things like this makes us all really happy. I'll be sure to pass your compliments on to Matt too (he'll be thrilled to hear it). Anytime you're back in Somerville, we'd love to cook for you again.

Cheers,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

When we have out of town visitors who want to see where the real people eat in Boston, we take them slightly out of town to the Ball Square Cafe. The waffles and fruit are absolutely outstanding. No one has ever walked away hungry. Lines outside on weekends, but well worth the wait.

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thanks for bringing in your friends to see us, Malchus! We're proud to help show your friends what Boston and Somerville is all about. Anytime you have guests (and even when you don't), we'd love to cook for you.

Cheers,

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Great place for breakfast, especially for vegetarians. Had "Fit for a King" that included eggs, toast, pancakes and sausage. I was able to replace the sausage with vegetarian 'sausage' made with brown rice, grains and spices with sage. It was great!

My wife had Eggs Benedict with avacado and tomato rather than Canadian Bacon.

All the self serve coffee and tea. Even though it was busy on a Thursday morning at 9:30, we were able to linger without being pressured.

I will be back!

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Glad you loved our "Fit for a King" option! We truly appreciate the encouragement. That dish is one of my personal favorites, so it's great to hear you enjoyed it too. Next time you and your wife are craving some delicious vegetarian breakfasts, we'll have your plates waiting!

Many thanks,