“Great breakfast, nice atmosphere, phenomenal service”
Review of Ball Square Cafe

Ball Square Cafe
Ranked #2 of 321 Restaurants in Somerville
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our server greeted us with a casual inviting Ora. Told us about the menu & his recommendations. We chose the banana stuffed French toast, eggs Benedict and we both got the grilled mash potatoes. Everything arrived hot and the presentation was spot on. As far as the taste, I would put this French toast up there with the best! The authentic whipped made it all the better. My wife loved the eggs too! The grilled mash is ingenious, tasty, and the sour cream makes them a perfect complement to any breakfast entree. The prices are not cheap, but the portions are big and comparable to the amount of food u get. We were introduced to the owner, who (with our server) made us feel like one of the family. We loved this place & when we come back to Boston, we will be eating breakfast here!

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I'm so happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your time with us this past week! Our passion is in serving delicious meals, so to hear you call it "ingenious, up there with the best, and spot on" puts the biggest smile on my face. It was a pleasure meeting you both, and I'm looking forward to the next time you two visit Boston. You're always welcome here.

Take care,
Mike

Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you can get in a little bit early & beat the crowds, Ball Square Cafe is definitely somewhere you want to stop! The food is tasty and served up pretty quick, not to mention the large coffee bar lets this New York cawfee snob craft her perfect morning joe. :)
Service is good, if it's not full to the brim, in which case it is about average. The owner of the joint is always visible, greeting people at the door and assisting with the little things, which makes for a very welcoming atmosphere.
My recommendations go to the french toast/ pancakes delight (aka the one with all the fruit on it), which have always been my favorite.

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

It's great to hear you're a fan of our coffee and the Delight, Camilla. We're very proud of what we have to offer, so it's flattering to hear this type of feedback, especially from a longtime customer. Have you tried other items from our menu? If you have any suggestions on how we can improve, we're all ears. Hope to see you soon!

Take care,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Ball Square Cafe is a good place to sit, eat, and hang out with friends, but a rivalry exists between this place and SoundBites next door. In my opinion, the quality of food is better at SoundBites.

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thanks for reviewing us last month Michelle! We work hard to offer all our guests a wonderful dining experience, so we're happy to hear you enjoy stopping by. That said, we like to think that there are lots of characteristics that distinguish us from SoundBites. We're proud to use fresh and flavorful ingredients for our dishes, and I hope your opinion of our neighbors didn't dictate your opinion of us.

In any case, we know there is always room for improvement. Is there anything else we could do better next time? I hope to hear back from you! Thanks for sharing and take care.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just moved into the 'hood and our nephew and his wife invited us for breakfast. Line wasn't bad and owner welcomed us - 4 plus a toddler - in to sit down. Good breakfast, nothing spectacular but very pleasant and very good coffee. Reasonable prices, big servings. After about 45 minutes, at least 10 of which were waiting for our food, we were told we were loved but that others were waiting for our table. This didn't make me feel like I wanted to return....our co-diners said it had never happened before. Lots of good breakfast places in Somerville so no problem.

Mike M, Owner at Ball Square Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Happy to hear your family enjoyed your breakfast with us! What did you try? I look forward to sharing your compliments with the kitchen. On a different note, I am sorry if the service left a poor taste in your mouth. We have a very, very small restaurant and have long lines of people who are trying to get tables. We don't ask people to move on to be mean, but because we're trying to be fair to everyone. That said, I apologize if we made you feel unwelcome — that truly wasn't our intention.

If you have any other or comments, feel free to send them my way. We're always looking to improve, so your thoughts are welcome. Thanks for reviewing us last April and take care.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stopped in today with a friend and got the Broadway blue. asked for the cubed potato's browned. what I received was some that were under cooked and some that were carbon.
The bacon was so salty I couldn't eat it, and since I'm on a roll the blueberry muffin was very dry... The worst part was that there was no one to talk to about my plate. I didn't eat what very poorly prepared yet had to pay for it because the people working there are not allowed to make changes to the check... NO CUSTOMER SERVICE WHILE THE OWNER ISNT THERE...
I asked the owner call me and I gave them my number. No call yet...

Kris, I know you left this review a few months ago, but I hope it isn't too late to reach out to you. I truly apologize for the quality of your dish when you visited us. It's really unusual to hear this type of feedback, but please know I relayed this information to the kitchen so that it doesn't happen again in the future.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Call (617) 623-2233 and ask for me.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future. I know we have what it takes to impress you.