“Fantastic, authentic Indian food!”
Review of Guru the Caterer

Guru the Caterer
Ranked #96 of 312 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Great food, cheap, delicious - it satisfies my craving for home food! Try the achari chicken and palak paneer - your tastebuds will thank you.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Finally, finally, we have found a good curry in Boston! My boyfriend and I moved to Boston from the UK recently - we love curry, he is a curry fiend in particular, and we have been searching for curries which cut the mustard here. So far, we have found the curries to be really mediocre and have been surprised at how expensive they are. After reading all the great reviews of Guru, we decided to give it a try - and I'm so pleased that we did. For one thing, it is amazingly good value - around $10 gets you a main, side, roti & rice. I like the fact that the portions are generous, but not ridiculously large - I would rather pay slightly less and get a normal sized portion.

And, most importantly, the food is completely delicious. I had a chicken tikka masala, he had a chicken madras - both were wonderful. Beautifully spiced, and actually fairly hot - we asked them to spice it up, and both were hot-ish. We had tarka dal and palak paneer for sides, which were both really, really tasty and complemented the mains very well. The rice and roti were also delicious and rounded off the meal very well.

All in all, I can't fault it, and am looking forward to the next excuse to order!!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a truly no frills dining experience -- and utterly brilliant.

The menu changes regularly, but I had Palak Paneer and a tomato-based dish. My date had a veggie combo lunch, too. Both were equally sound: simple and direct plus depth, served quickly and inexpensively.

It maintains the highest quality of subcontinental food I've encountered, with the exception of another Boston-area restaurant I reviewed recently.

Guru is straight and to the point. It operates mainly as a take-out place with simple furnishings for eat in.

It is a great date location: excellent food, generous spirits [the staff at Guru were big-hearted and obviously customer-centric] -- a place where two can dine quickly and inexpensively and have this moment -- of having discovered something truly wonderful.

I do my laundry near this restaurant and expect many pleasant surprises as the menu changes but the quality and service remain the same.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

One of the things I missed in downtown Boston was a good (price/quality wise) Indian restaurant. Yes, there is Kashmir on Newbury Street, but it is on the pricey side and on top of that I cannot say the service is that great. But now there is D´Guru on 187 Devonshire St in the Financial District and the food is absolutely excellent. As a previous reviewer mentioned for $6.99 you get rice, 2 veggies and bread and the flavors of the veggie dishes are really great. So far I haven´t found a restaurant in the Boston area in the same price range that comes even close in terms of quality and flavor.

They mostly serve as a take-out place for the workers in the surrounding offices, but they do have 2 tables and a few additional seats for those who want to eat in.

The only drawback is that as it is located in the financial district it is only open on weekdays from 11.00 am to 3 pm, but it is definitely worth it to go out of your way for.

1  Thank Cosmos_Estrela
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Guru the Caterer is a wonderful place. The take out menu is based on a meal , not a dish - one gets one or two dishes, rice, and chappati. All for a wonderful price. The vegetarian food is good. They even have some vegan dishes. The people are really nice - I have dealt with the owner several times and he is great. The menu isn't extensive and it doesn't change that much over time so there isn't a huge amount of variety but the quality is good and the price is great. My husband is from India and he likes the food at Guru. We have presented this food to other Indians and they liked it also. Thus, is passes the test.

1  Thank mjc_travels