“It felt like home”

Riverview Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Upon arrival I was greated by a cheerful and knowlegeable staff. The grounds where clean and well kept, my room was ready even though I arrived a bit early. My accomdations were excelent, the room was clean, well lit and well supplied. At breakfast the staff was firendly and helpful,the food was fresh and enjoyable, much nicer than cold dognuts and coffee. I would defiinitely stay there again. The location is convenient to RT. I 195 (Proviedence, RI to Cape Cod MA.) and RT 24 ( Newport RI. to Boston MA.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a water view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 24, 2013

i found my room to be very clean and neat. It was decorated warmly and inviting. The food was fresh and tasty. The staff was friendly and outgoing. My room was ready on my arrival. I would not hesitate to stay here at any time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Avoid this hotel. I travel for work and have stayed in hundreds of hotels across the country. This one is to be avoided. I am typing this review from my room which smells like an ash tray. After I checked in and smelled the room, I went to the front desk and asked to change to a non-smoking room and was told that it was a non-smoking room. The woman behind the front desk (was she the manager?), said in a very unfriendly tone that there were no other non-smoking rooms available as the hotel was completely sold out. It was 2pm in the afternoon, surely there was still another non-smoking room available? The young man behind the desk at least made an attempt to be friendly and help by offering a chemical spray to cover the smell. Obviously this has been an issue before. I declined the offer on the chemical spray and returned to my smelly room. Thankfully there is a sliding door that opens, so at least I could get some fresh air from outside, and it was warm enough that I could leave the window open all night. In addition to the smell. the carpet is heavily stained. The wall paper is peeling off the walls in the bathroom. The tub is very old and very stained. The office chair has a dried puddle of something white, I don't even want to think what that is. I will be happy to check out and never return to this sad motel. Oh, they have free wi-fi.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank paulyrich
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We live nearby and had a terrible storm that left us without heat in the winter. When I called the manager got involved and not only offered us a room for us to stay with our small dog but held it aside. When i arrived they immediately knew who I was and had my room key ready. My room was average but had a sliding door to the back of the hotel for my dog. that was very impressive! My son enjoyed the pool and the breakfast was great!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A poor example for the Choice Hotel group.

The fixtures are ancient and scarred. The property is on a busy road. The breakfast included the soggiest French toast imaginable. The toilet was not fixed to the floor and wobbled when you sat down. The mirror edging was missing on 3 sides. The carpets were old and worn.

Not my favorite property.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CommanderChip
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel easily over a dozen times over the years, and have not been in about a year or so, but recently stayed a few days after Christmas. I had 4000 reward points expiring for the new year, so instead of losing them, I used them plus additional points for a free stay. We also brought along my dog, which is the first time we have taken her to a hotel, and luckily she behaved well!

They allow up to TWO pets in all rooms with QUEEN beds, but they are not allowed in King bed rooms unfortunately. We did get a queen room with a balcony and water view, which was great!

Now I usually stay in king rooms, but they are the same size pretty much. Our room (211) had a decent size table, but NO CHAIRS! The only chair was the computer chair for the desk, but the other table had no chairs, and to top it off, there were NO CHAIRS on the balcony either! Really?
Two queen beds but one chair for the whole room, including outside, is unacceptable...

The bathroom wasn't very clean. The sink had a ring of rust around the drain in the sink, the shower was relatively clean, but old. There was a brown smear on the wallpaper behind the toilet, I'll let you use your imagination as to what that could have been.

After watching Hotel Impossible, my girlfriend and I have a ritual of checking things before getting to comfortable. Under the beds was dirty, and one of the beds had a sock under it, so clearly that is not cleaned each time a guest stays in the room!

The cover on the bed had at least three burn holes, and also had white smudges on it, that honestly was probably semen from other guests. That went on the floor immedietly, and was probably not washed after we left, and put back on the bed...

The sheets were clean and hairless, which was nice!

The light above one of the beds did not work, and the remote to our TV did not work, so each time we wanted to adjust volume or shut it on/off, we had to get up from the bed, as there were no chairs, and manually adjust the TV, which was annoying!

We got food and didn't have forks, so I called the front desk and got some.
They were the plastic packages with a knife, spoon, fork, and a napkin. One of the packages we got was opened already and missing a fork! So we had to share the other one from the luckily unopened package...

Also there was wall paper peeling in the room, and along the hallways. The carpeting did seem relatively clean which was good, but this place could definitely use some renovating, as its got great potential, and I love hotels with balconies, especially with water views!

POOL
One of the hotel's main attractions is the massive pool, which is bigger than any other hotel in the area. It was warm, but it was a little dirty, and it needs to be painted, around the edges which is supposed to be white was yellow and gross. The bottom of the pool also needs to be painted, as you see just as much concrete as you do blue paint!
And of course, as always, there was NO TOWELS in the pool area! This is always an issue. Luckily I brought a towel from my room, so I avoided walking to the other end of the hotel to retrieve one from the front desk. I also had the pool to myself which was nice at nine at night.
It stays open til 10 which is great!!!!

Breakfast
I arrived about ten minutes before it was over, and there were two sausages left, and barely any eggs. The eggs were wet and disgusting, no flavor and they were just weird. I don't even get how you can mess up scrambled eggs that badly... Everything else was limited two, three bagels left, and they were gross kinds. There were only two yogurts, no juice (2 kinds), so the place was ransacked and no one filled anything up apparently, which was really disappointing. I ate some scraps and left hungry and annoyed, the breakfast has been better, but was terrible this time.

Overall I would give them another chance, as this is one of my favorite hotels because of the balcony, large indoor heated pool, and the views. But the building itself needs some renovating, as do the rooms, and the breakfast could stand a lot of improving as well. Please put some money into the place and return it to its former glory, as this place has so much potential!

Room Tip: Get a room with a water view!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This quality inn is probably the better option in the somerset area. Not saying much. first off, don't count on good customer serivce during check in or checkout. Ive seen more emotion and interest from a brick then I did the girl that checked me in. She had "savannah" tatooed on her right arm. She was so emotionless, I asked her how she was doing, thinking she was just having a bad day, she replied "fine", short and barely made eye contact, made me feel like i was burdening her by checking in. I was going to let it slide thinking it was just a rough day until I checked out....and the check out girl was just as bad, no emotion, no nothing. If your just passing thru for the evening, this place isn't bad. Its a big hotel with spacious rooms, but it has an old motel feel to me anyways. This hotel could be a luxurous hotel if they would update the decor and mabe VACCUM. A touch of paint wouldn't hurt either.

Cleaning:
Make sure you check under the beds, you will find a few nice suprises. I found potato chips, beer bottle caps under both my beds and the night stand, you can definitely tell the room cleaning employees do half the job. Dirt and stains all over the floor. Don't believe me? see the pictures i have attached. The bathroom wasn't clean as I would have expected. see pics also. I was afraid to use the toilet, and walk around barefoot in my room.

Breakfast:
The only thing that salvaged this hotel was the carol lady that made the breakfast. She was the only nice employee in that hotel. Oh and the Jillians bar and grill across the parking lot was pretty awesome. They have live music w/ dj and very good draft beers and food was suprisingly excellent.

Over all, this hotel is in a decent area next to the express way, probably the better option in the area. The customer service that you are used too with choice hotels doesn't exist here. They need to send the front desk employees back to training. Just not a friendly place. The hotel feels old and it definitely is dirty....(see pics). Only recommend if you are passing thru and you can't make the next exit or two up to a better hotel. If you are in the area, say hi to carol and treat her nice, she is the older lady that makes the breakfast, and the jillians bar and grill across the parking lock rocks!

Room Tip: get a room away from the pool! the pool gets loud quick!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset
Comfort Inn & Suites Fall River
#1 of 1 in Bristol
Regency Inn & Suites
Regency Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Dartmouth

Been to Riverview Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!