“Magoni's NO MORE!!!”

Dining options: Reservations
Swansea, Massachusetts
“Magoni's NO MORE!!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went to Magoni's recently with a small group of people. One friend ordered a "fried clam" plate. The order was served and it was awful. It looked like the clams were fried in luke warm oil. The plate was returned and 5 minutes later the waitress returned what looked like the same plate, possibly microwaved?? It was returned again and was removed from the bill. Check out the picture. It was disgusting! Never,......ever going back to Magoni's.

I have another major complaint about this place; it stinks! i mean it really smells like a mixture of urine and stale food.....really bad.

Magoni's was a decent restaurant at one time. NOT anymore.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank ChefDonJulio

Bristol, Rhode Island, United States
“great food”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

great food and good early bird specials prices are reasonable from prime rib to their soup you'll want to go back for more

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Maureen M
Somerset, Massachusetts
“A+”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

if you are looking for a prime rib dinner at a resonable price. no need to travel to providence and or boston check out Magoni's Ferry Landing Their Prime Rib is excellent .Tthey have two sizes and both are pretty good size. They have been around for a long time and its a nice place to visit.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank JAKEFXWD
Portland, Maine
“Excellent food but some improvements would serve this restaurant well”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had excellent meals on a recent visit, but I agree that Magoni's needs some updating. I hadn't been to Magoni's in at least 10 years, maybe 15, but I was a frequent visitor as a child and a teenager. As other reviewers note, it would not be hard to update the place.

Before I get to that, let's focus on our meals. Much of what we ate was just as excellent as it was 20 years ago. The cinnamon sticks, the minestrone soup, and the clams casino were as delicious as I had remembered them. My spouse had a pasta dish with steak and a gorgonzola sauce. The size of the portion was obscenely large, but the dish was absolutely delicious. We begged the waitress to wrap it up, so we wouldn't eat the whole thing and gain 10 pounds at the table. I had a special, which was equally tasty. Chicken wrapped in prosciutto and basil and finished with mozzarella and a tomato sauce. Wow. The chicken was perfectly cooked too. We also had glasses of house reds and a chocolate cake that were good as well. So, foodwise, we really enjoyed our meal at Magoni's.

We also had a charming waitress named Paula. There are many great waitresses at Magoni's. Some of them have been there for decades, and they are very professional and do their jobs well.

But there's room for improvement.

The first thing that I would do is remove the weird, country-kitsch, fake flowers and garden-like things in the flower boxes on the front windows. When the Magoni family opened this restaurant, they imagined it as a place where people in the community could come for cocktails and a nice dinner out. Metal flowers and fake butterflies were not on the agenda, and I have no idea why anyone would think Magoni's Ferry Landing would want to associate the restaurant with the cheap faux-country junk you find in roadside stands in suburban towns that still imagine they've retained their country roots despite the giant boxstores that line the two-lane highway. Magoni's Ferry Landing was never country anyway. It was about the history of the Taunton River, the Fall River Steamship Line, the ferry landing, and the clipper ships once captained by Somerset natives. I wanted to rip all that metal garbage out of the flower boxes and take the restaurant out of its misery. Stick with the real history, not the imagined or countrified past.

At least someone has had the sense to keep the old Magoni's sign on top of the building. That's classic. Please don't ever get rid of that.

If you remember the update that Magoni's did in the late 80s/early 90s, you'll notice that not much inside has changed since then. There is one update that puzzles me though. Why divide the main dining room in half with a long black booth? The chairs that accompany it are uncomfortable, and they do not match the older furniture. For that matter, the booth gives you the feeling that you're in some sort of giant cafeteria or roadside diner.

I was also amazed by how little the busgirls (there were no busboys on the night of our visit) had to do. It used to be that the busgirls and busboys at Magoni's set tables, cleared tables, filled water glasses throughout the patrons' meals, assisted the waitresses in serving the food, served coffee, brewed coffee, and delivered cinnamon sticks to the tables. They had so much to do that they were practically tripping over one another. Not anymore. Our waitress cleared all the plates from our table. Not once did a busgirl come by to fill our water glasses. A busgirl never came to our table while we were there. Even when busgirls set tables, all they had to do was toss out a few plates and some silverware wrapped in napkins. In other words, they didn't have to set the tables; they didn't have to place the silverware on the tables.

The pre-wrapped silverware also gave the impression that eating at Magoni's was no different from dining in a cafeteria.

Many years ago there was a lovely older woman who made sure that the busgirls and busboys did all the duties that I described above, but she must be long dead and whoever gives them orders now is much more lax about how the bus staff approaches their tasks. Yet, just as they did 20 years ago, the busgirls stand by the fireplace waiting to tend to tables. Only now, they do a lot more standing than busing. Why are they not doing more? The waitresses needed the help, and the busgirls could serve to give the restaurant some much needed polish.

To continue, the lighting was not good either. We sat at the mega-booth, and my chair was right beneath an extremely bright light that made me feel as though I was in a police interrogation room. Had I walked out with a sunburn, I would not have been the least bit surprised. Lose the cheap IKEA ceiling lights.

Finally, I still hate the Keno. Magoni's introduced that tacky element in the early 1990s. Maybe they make money off of it in the bar, but no one (at least on our side of the mega-booth) was so much as looking at the Keno screens. Getting rid of the Keno, at least in the dining area, would help to class things up a bit.

At the end of the day, Magoni's only needs some classing up. No more fake flowers, no more cafeteria-style maga-booth, no more Keno, no more harsh lighting. Keep the sign and the paintings of historic Somerset. Most important, keep the delicious food. The needed changes are so small and could be done so easily.

I've obviously written this review in hopes that the owners will read it. But if you're in Somerset and you want a delicious meal, you'll get one at Magoni's. I'll go back for the food, and so should you.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Citizen_of_Amherst
North Providence, Rhode Island
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This place can run hot or cold, fortunately, we caught it on a great night. We had a fabulous waiter named Jeremy, what a pleasure! For dinner, we began with clams casino. They were tasty but a little pricey- $9 for 6. We had blue cheese dressing on our salads and it was full of big chunks of cheese, yummy. The fresh bread with seasoned dipping oil was ok but not spectacular. We both ordered the prime rib from the value menu. I ate about half of mine. It was large for a smaller cut. The meat came out exactly as we ordered it and it was tender and delicious. The Cole slaw was fresh and very tasty. Potato is what it is. The value meal also came with a dessert. Add coffee and I was too full. Then I had to eat the fried dough with sugar and cinnamon.....I was so pleasantly surprised by how good everything was, and to top it off, we also had a restaurant.com certificate and got $25 off our check! I will go back.

• Visited June 2012