“Pastry does not get better than this in central MA!!!”

Bean Counter Cake & Pastry Shop
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Shrewsbury
MA
“Pastry does not get better than this in central MA!!!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This place has, hands down, the best pastry in central MA. Also, fabulous coffee. A nice place to meet someone for brunch or coffee because it is out of the way and quiet (despite being on Route 9). Only drawback is that it's on the eastbound side, and if you're on the westbound side you'll need to figure out how to turn around. A gem hidden in a very ugly strip mall type area.

• Visited March 2012

Holden, MA
“Decent food, poor service”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The drinks and food are fine here--no better than at other places. But the one thing that strikes me about this place is the lack of friendliness from the staff. They act like you are bothering them when you place their order, and there is never a smile. It's unfortunate because it makes the place not welcoming and makes it less likely that I would meet friends here for a visit.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank SMC88
Westborough, Massachusetts
“great place for coffee & treats!”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Love their coffee! And they have wonderful delicious desserts. Unbelievable desserts :)

Visited May 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
“If you want the Best Cakes and Pastry, Goto The Bean Counter!!”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I have been dealing with Alice Lombardi in a commercial as well as a retail customer for nearly 15 years. I have never recieved anything less than the best service and quality of cakes and desserts in 25 years of restaurant employment. I have served her cakes, pies , and mini pastries to some of the finest restaurants in the area, I have used her mini-pastries as a staple for bridal and baby showers on more than thirty seperate occasions and functions. I can fully suppoert the quality levels which Alice strives to uphold and commit to in her business practices. Great Job Bean Counter!!!

• Visited September 2011
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“Overrated and very poor qualit control”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My family stopped in a few times after church for a quick treat. I liked the muffins, but never cared for the cakes - the frostings all have a funny, heavy aftertaste. Anyhow, one morning my young son got a decorated cupcake and noticed it was completely moldy on the bottom after he started eating it. We quietly and politely brought it to the counter and the young man asked if we wanted a replacement - no, thank you. He asked to take our name/# and have the owner call to apologize - we obliged, but assured him it was not necessary. Well, the owner called within 2 hours, and was mortified and very apologetic, INSISTING that she send us something in the mail to make up for it. Ok, fine. About 2 weeks later, we got an envelope with a $5 (FIVE) dollar gift certificate. I was positively insulted. Why? Because in order to bring my son and just myself to each get a cupcake, it would cost more than $5!! Really? Why did the owner even bother, other than to get more money from us. I ripped up the gift certificate, never went back and eagerly tell all of my friends about the moldy cupcake. Take a PR lesson - or even marketing 101.

• Visited September 2010