“Why???”

IHOP
Ranked #37 of 91 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We hadn't been to IHOP in many years and decided to give it a whirl after seeing some recent, new T.V. ads. We arrived at about 11:30 a.m. on Sunday to a twenty minute wait. We figured, "Wait... Gotta' be good, right?" WRONG!
The wait was due to the fact that you can't get your food! Once seated it took over 45 minutes and our meals came out in bits and pieces. Of course, it was cold and nasty. The ads and pictures in the menu are certainly not close to what they serve. Marketing genius!
We were blessed to be seated where we could witness a completely inept cooking/serving system in a building that's smaller than some living rooms. Which, by the way, is in dire need of a makeover. Yes, a dump. Way too many good breakfast joints around to get stuck with that. Outrageous cost too... Why?

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I guess it was really MY fault. I was the one who purchased the IHOP gift card for my mother for Mother’s Day because Mum had, in the past, enjoyed having breakfast at this chain establishment, and I thought, at the time I was buying it, that it was a thoughtful gesture. Well, we (my older sister and I), after a couple of months of procrastination and hesitation, finally took our mother to have a late breakfast at IHOP yesterday to redeem the gift card.

Upon our arrival, we were told that there would be a wait of about 10 minutes for a table. We sat patiently in the waiting area at the front of the restaurant perusing a menu. Now, I must point out that none of us had been to this or any other IHOP for several years and had expected this visit to be similar to our previous ones. Not so. IHOP has definitely changed for the worse. The Shrewsbury store has become rundown and slack, and the prices have soared. We also noted, while perusing the menu, that selections that were previously on in it, were no longer available (sweet cheese-filled blintzes and potato pancakes, to name two). After what was more like a 20 minute wait for a table, we were shown to a booth which was only accessible through a server’s station (strange), and it was a little difficult for our elderly mother, who uses a quadripod cane, to maneuver through this area. Once seated, we made our selections.

Our beverages (better termed as “swill”) were delivered by our server in a timely fashion. Mum ordered a hot decaf coffee and Sis and I opted for the iced mocha coffee. Well, let me tell you, the so-called “coffee” we received did not resemble coffee at all in taste or appearance. Mum’s decaf was watery, flavorless and tepid at best (and in a carafe to boot! Yes! That is just what we want! More of this disgusting brew!). Our iced mocha coffees were the same (urine-colored and flavorless) and unbeknownst to us, pre-sweetened (not noted on the menu and our server did not advise us of this fact) and sweetened AGAIN by us, personally, with Splenda packets from our purses (it is sad that few restaurants [especially chain restaurants, damn them!] provide diners with Equal or Splenda, only offering sugar or the evil Sweet ‘N Low). Our first swallows of the “coffee” were horrendous and gag-inducing. We made our server aware of the situation and he readily “remedied?” (grudgingly) the mistake by bringing us two glasses of regular iced coffee (again, urine-colored and definitely not tasting like coffee, but, not pre-sweetened), filled only two-thirds full (I guess that’s what you get when you gripe about your order and send things back). I can’t really fault our server for this. I’m sure that’s what he was told to do by higher ups in true conformity with corporate policy. For the most part, my sister and our mother were satisfied with their selections (Swedish crepes and a Kids’ Menu single pancake). I was not overly thrilled by the execution of my choice, the Quick Two-Egg Breakfast (2 eggs, supposedly cooked to order, 2 pork sausage links [pretty good], a pre-fab, warmed, previously-frozen hash brown and 2 slices of toast [soggy and cold, pre-buttered ---what if I was on a butter-restricted diet?], with one lowly package of apple jelly). I ordered the eggs that came with my combo over easy, but what I got was partially raw egg whites (visible only when the eggs were turned over by me after consuming a bit) with totally raw egg yolks which only received a teasing of the griddle’s heat. I did not, after witnessing our server’s reaction to the sent back coffees, return the undercooked eggs to the kitchen. Needless to say, I left the rest of them on my plate along with the limp and cold toast wedges. Several hours later, while shopping after departing IHOP, I experienced excruciating lower abdominal cramps with diarrhea (not an at all good situation) and attributed them to the undercooked eggs at IHOP. I am better this morning and did not feel the urgency to seek attention at the Emergency Room last night, so there goes a justified law suit. Live and learn.

Thank goodness the gift card covered the bill, but we kicked in extra for the server’s tip (yes, we tipped a full 20% despite the problems). We did, however, notice other disgruntled diners near our booth who left no tip at all.

I detest chain restaurants and question my sanity in purchasing the IHOP gift card. Never again. Mum will have to be satisfied with the superior Bisquick pancakes I prepare in my kitchen (especially the legitimate blueberry ones---no cheating with just blueberry topping!).

4  Thank lynninma
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for pancakes and waffles, this is the place. Other then the regular items on their menu, they are promoting new pancakes like Tiramisu, jelly, and banana nut or something like that. I tried the Tiramisu and it was fantastic. The combo is the way to go!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

The food is passable. Eggs, breakfast meats, and pancakes -- this is not gastronomy. My main gripe is that every surface inside feels sticky. That's kind of.......ick.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

OK, there are not a lot of good breakfast choices in the area. The result is that this place gets crowded even though the service and food is terrible. If you go on a Saturday or Sunday morning, expect to wait 30 minutes to be shoehorned into a table. Then, expect to be waited on by pitiful wait staff that is not very professional. Lastly, the food is mediocre at best, especially for the price.

My recommendation is to skip this place altogether and find a quality breakfast place.

2  Thank Bill S