“This particular evening.”

The Blue Rock Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New American Gastro pub with 14 foot post and beam ceiling overlooking the Deerfield river in Shelburne Falls. We have ten taps of drought beer and many by the bottle. great wines by the glass list and many by the bottle. We also serve craft cocktails and have an impressive bottle selection.
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I called to make a reservation, (for one) @ 5:30. The young woman who greeted me gave me a choice of two tables for two sitting very close behind the bar stool rear ends of two bar patrons, the bar (where the stools are not straight and cannot be pushed close enough to the bar so you have to unnaturally lean over to eat) or in the corner by the bathroom (very dark, small round tables). If I wanted to eat at the bar, I would NOT have called for a reservation.
I asked for one of several tables for two at the back. She refused and said they were reserved (?), but I had a reservation and was on time. No one sat in ANY of the ones she refused me for well over an hour. I was about to walk out, but I opted for the bar because there saving grace is Jeff, a brilliant bar tender who is full of life, helpful, and lots of fun. Screw her incompetence. Yea Jeff! He turned the evening around as did the chef accommodations. He is there on Friday and Saturday nights. P.S. The small salad should be served in a bowl, it gets everywhere if you try to cut it and is not worth $5.50

1  Thank cavegrl777

Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I took my mother here for dinner on her birthday a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to get on and write a review because it was such a great dining experience. The service was wonderful, the menu was unique and everything sounded delicious. I had the spicy seafood pasta al pomodoro (amazing!), my mother and sister had salads with strawberries and prosciutto (I think). My husband had the blue rock burger, which he loved. Everything was delicious. Our waitress was very, very nice and attentive. Many of the ingredients are local, which is awesome. I definitely recommend making a reservation as the place filled up right after opening for dinner. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just eh this time. Last time, eveything was wonderful, so when we booked our weekend in the area again, my boyfriend was sure to make a reservation here. We arrived early, hoping our reservation could be pushed up. Well, turns out they had "lost" our reservation. They were ultimately able to seat us thought, and we sat down to our meal. I spent most of the meal shoeing away fruit flies! They were everywhere. One even landed on my salad plate and was crawling along. Not the end of the world though...

We made the unfortunate mistake of ordering the same thing we had the last time we were here - me, the curry, and my boyfriend the scallops. Mine was ok - a bit heavier than I remembered, but OK. His looked nothing like his last meal and was a bit disappointing. To top it off, the drink service is very slow. I ordered a drink when my dinner arrived, and was practically done with my meal by the time the drink came. Anyway - still decent, but not as great as the last time we were here. Maybe just an off night...

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I can see by others' reviews, that I'm the odd person out here in disliking this place. Four of us were driving back home and needed dinner, so stopped to enjoy the sights of Shelburne Falls on a lovely late summer evening. All but this place in town had a two hour wait -- although we did have to wait about 1/2 hour here.

The evening was downhill from there. 40 minutes after being sitted, we had to ask to place our drink order. ANother 1/2 hour and we went to find the drinks -- at that point, it appeared that the hostess took over from our server. Within 10 minutes, we got our drinks and our soup (because the drinks had taken so long, we weren't going to let the hostess leave the table side without placing our dinner order.)

We then waited another 45 minutes for our dinners. No bread, no crackers, no snacks, just our drinks. One of our meals was to have crab in it, no flavor of crab. When we mentioned it to the hostess, she did go speak to the chef, and he sent out a small tasting of crab to add to the dish.

We were in that restaurant for three hours, and were not well taken care of -- we watched other diners come and go, a little faster, but not speedily.

And, let me add, we were not rude about our needs; we asked nicely to be served, but we will not go there again.

Sadly, the evening could have been much better -- because three of the dinners were absolutely fantastic tasting! I can't speak to the desserts, as we had no wish to wait another hour. As it was, we chased down the hostess for our bill.

4  Thank DrSharonGreenfieldMA
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Local businessman recommended this restaurant so I was looking for it. Otherwise, I might have missed this downstairs jewel. I was promptly and warmly greeted and seated in the bar. I chose items from the night's special menu and was not disappointed. The chilled melon soup was perfect for the warm evening. The duck was the best I have ever had. I couldn't resist finishing my meal with the fried ice cream.