“Outstanding Hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 5 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Pembrokeshire, Wales
“Outstanding Hospitality”
Reviewed December 31, 2008

For two brits who've travelled the world we found this place quite by chance (that is, my iPhone chose to work for a moment) and thought it was great.

We were not that familiar with New England hospitality at that stage of our journey but would discover that even set against the high standards found in the area, our hostess was superb. We wanted for nothing, and the breakfasts were sublime. And if we didn't have what we needed Ali was never far away and would readily provide.

The house is beautifully done. It is, we understand, 190 years old but for such a new house it is full of character. The room we had was warm, comfortable and bright. The location is the ideal lauchpad for the restaurants of Great Barrington and the delights of the Berkshires.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to other travellers.

• Liked — Total charm of house and owner
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Arlingtin
Reviewed December 28, 2008

We just returned from our second stay at the Staveleigh House B&B in the Berkshires (MA.) Ali and Harry are gracious and kind hosts. The house is a warm and welcoming. The rooms are well decorated with all the comforts of home. On this trip we brought our grand daughters (age 6 and 8). Ali went out of her way to welcome them and treat them like little princesses!

The best part of the experience is how Ali is so willing to accomodate your needs, all you need to do is ask!

We strongly recommend the Staveleigh House to anyone who is looking for a quiet and restful get away.

Jim and Kim B. Vermont

Stayed December 2008
NYC
Reviewed December 19, 2008

Nestled in the Berkshires Stavleigh House is a True Find!

The owner Ali is truly gracious and cooks a fantastic breakfast consisting of the BEST Belgium Waffles I have had in years. The room was large and well decorated and the bathroom was new and spacious.

Truly a wonderful B&B!

• Liked — Everything was above board.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod
Reviewed December 4, 2008

This is the best B&B I've ever experienced. I've been most fortunate to stay in the large downstairs room more than once and it is a dream; beautifully decorated, separate entrance, and bigger than my bedroom at home. Ali, the innkeeper, is a doll who is attentive and charming. As I am a diabetic, she always customizes breakfasts for me to my request. Delicious omelets!

Staveleigh House itself is beautiful. There are pretty flowers around the property and a barn way out in the back with horses, goats, and other wonderful animals. The dining room is awash with light in the mornings and is nicely appointed. Great living room with a piano too. Incredibly, the prices at the inn are more than competitive.

I am going to Sheffield again soon and will be heading straight to Staveleigh and Ali. The holidays in the Berkshires are dreamy and I can't think of a better place to stay.

• Liked — Huge, beautifully furnished room.
  • Disliked — No internet access.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Pioneer Valley
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Since 2005, my wife and I have loved our annual October weekend at The Staveleigh House. Ali and her family have created an authentic and thoroughly inviting place where we can decompress and just be ourselves. We knew from the moment we first walked in that this B&B was "our place." We've stayed in several different rooms over the years and they've all have been very clean, quiet, and the beds supportive and comfortable (and I'm picky about beds).

Fall is my favorite season for running, and if you're a runner, you'll have access to an array of the most beautiful back roads and gorgeous single-track trails right from the front door. Some of my most memorable runs have been logged here, in part because I come back to Ali's incredible breakfasts, which are always sumptuous and fresh, and Ali's homemade bread is to die for!

The Staveleigh House is the best!

• Liked — The rooms, food, and especially the service!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed December 3, 2008

A lovely B&B in the Berkshires. Attractively decorated guest rooms and public areas. The owners are warm and welcoming, and the full breakfasts are delicious. Very convenient to area attractions. Highly recommended.

• Liked — The hosts.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
debo56
Reviewed December 3, 2008

My husband and I have been staying at Staveleigh House for a weekend in July for the last four years and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The house and grounds are absolutely lovely, artfully decorated, warm, comfortable and totally inviting. Proprieter,Ali Winston, is the most gracious of hostesses as well as an interesting, intelligent, charming and funny woman (not to mention a fantastic cook). The menagerie in the barn outback is like a little Noah's Ark of animal delight, there to be enjoyed or not, as you see fit. Sheffield is a quintessential New England village and accessible out the front door. I have come to think of Staveleigh House as my western Massachusetts 'home away from home' and wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Liked — the ambiance
  • Disliked — there is really nothing I don
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Days Inn Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
#4 of 10 in Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
White Hart Inn
White Hart Inn
#1 of 1 in Salisbury
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#3 of 10 in Great Barrington
Windflower Inn
Windflower Inn
#2 of 12 in Great Barrington
Briarcliff Motel
Briarcliff Motel
#1 of 10 in Great Barrington

Been to Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!