“Not as good as it was”

GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Not as good as it was”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed here for 1 week having previously stayed in this hotel 10 years ago when we found it faultless. Whlist the Inn is still very good and the facilites have improved a lot, some things have got worse. Gardens are very nice and the outdoor pool area is excellent, as is the new Spa facility. Looking at the other reviews where comments about the accommodation are good, it does appear that there are two standards of rooms here. The room we had, which was in the main building, was very disappointing and in desperate need of refurbishment. Bathroom and fittings also poor, and very noisy plumbing. Luke warm hot water during busy times. The rooms in the wing underneath the new Spa also are very dark as the windows now look out into the newly built internal corridor! Housekeeping standards are very good. Standard of the food in the Tavern and Conservatory is very good though the service during our stay was very slow, and on one occasion not very friendly. No computers available for guests to access the internet and the free WIFI is poor. If you are lucky enough to get allocated one of the better rooms most travellers will enjoy their stay here. Overall we did enjoy our stay but we would not return unless the rooms are refurbished.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TheBardUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Connecticut
Reviewed August 14, 2009

This is a lovely bed & breakfast inn with the most stunningly colorful gardens I have ever seen. The dahlia's were as tall as I am, and about the size of a dinner plate. The entrance to the pool (which is not huge, or deep - only 4-5 feet at the most) has a white picket fence with an arbor, surrounded by rose bushes and a huge variety of annuals and perennials. The pool lounge chairs were really nice, too. Not your usual plastic chair furniture. There's a charming gazebo and a wonderful hot tub as well. You can also have lunch served to you there.
The rooms were fine. We had one of the rooms with two double beds. Had the price differential not been so much, I might have opted for the larger queen size bedrooms but for three nights,we managed. Actually the beds were fine. It's just sharing with husband, and our teen age sons having to share a bed felt a little cramped, but not the hotel's fault. The pillows, however, were not so comfortable. Synthetic filled, overstuffed and kind of hard. Lighting was a bit dimmer than was comfortable for me. I would have liked a stronger wattage light bulb. As it was, three lamps turned on was still a little dim. Bathrooms are on the smallish side but perfectly adequate. There was a nice size closet/changing room between the bedroom and bathroom that made it much easier, so we didn't feel so cramped. Rooms were clean and the a/c-although not silent, wasn't as loud as some places I've stayed. Rooms also seemed quiet. I think there were people in the next room but I never heard them. I was very impressed with the staff. I can say honestly that every single person I encountered during our stay was exceedingly friendly and helpful. Every time I made a phone call to make a request, change a reservation, etc, they were so accomodating. Same with front desk people. Just really nice. What a refreshing change from some hotel clerks we've experienced at other hotels. That alone, can make all the difference in your stay. The waitstaff, too, in the restaurants, were very gracious.

The food was ok. Not great. We had a late supper in the tavern when we arrived. The decor is quite old New England colonial style. Unfortunately, the food was too. A step up from HoJo's certainly but not worth repeating. My "beef" with Cape cod restaurants is that everything comes with french fries, cole slaw and tartar sauce. And that was certainly the case here. It wasn't bad food, just not anything worth having again. We tried several other restaurants in Sandwich and the only one I would highly recommend was the Belfrey Inne and Bistro around the corner.
Breakfast was much better. A little pricey, even with the $15 voucher. My scrambled eggs were done perfectly, the blueberry muffin had loads of blueberries, the coffee was actually good! Pancakes, according to my son, were a little rubbery. In any event, for subsequent breakfasts, we opted to go to Paul's Bagel down the street and brought back bagels and coffee each morning instead - much cheaper when four of you are eating out three meals every day.
We never tried the dining room so I can't comment on that.
For lunch, we picked up some sandwiches from the Brown Jug, a delightful gourmet shop next door to the Inn, and later on, some cheese and pate and wine and had ourselves a little cocktail hour before we went out to dinner. Would highly recommend doing that if you're planning on going to the beach, rather than stopping at one of the hundreds of ubiquitous fried clam shacks. The sandwiches were great! There's a neat little wine bar there too.
We like the little game room off to the side. We brought some board games with us which we could play at a large game table, but there were some games available for guests.
The inn is wireless, but there is no business center so if you need a computer and didn't bring your laptop, you'll have to use the public library across the street.
There is a spa here as well. We never tried it so can't comment. Sunny days in the summer = beach. I can get a manicure or massage in my own town. But if it had rained, or if I was visiting during a colder month, I would definitely have reserved a service or two.
Sandwich is a lovely little village (quite the picture perfect Cape Cod village and I suspect the local historical district commission rules with an iron fist)and very nice for a stroll. If you're staying on the upper cape, this would be my first choice. It would be perfect for a wedding, too.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed August 3, 2009

This was the best place where we stayed on a tour of NewEng with a certain UK travel company in our opinion back in '06 - our previous other comments on a few of the other places are on the negative side so this one's a positive - we were lucky to get a ground floor room, very spacious & clean, New England style. Remembering back the only minor fault was that you could hear the "plumbing" (toilets flushing) from room above. The staff were lovely & friendly & offered cookies & beverages upon arrival.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerOlic
of Cape Cod, live in the Finger Lakes in NY
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We stayed in Room #35 our first night (it was an add on night in our plans); it was divine.
The switch into Room #36 was a let down - from white canopy beds to dark sleigh beds. Room #36 needs some work - end table drawer came out and wouldn't reseat, window shade has lost its "spring" (housekeeping fixed both of these problems), unfortunately Room #36 had an odor (mildew or mold?) that housekeeping was unable to fix. Also, the inside bar in the tub was loose. The toilet in #36 was a slow flush but #35 was fine - very odd - these rooms are on either side of the stairway on the 2nd floor.
If the decor of your room matters to you or you are sensitive to odor (avoid #36), and ask about the décor in the different rooms. We only saw #35 and #36 but understand that all the rooms vary.
I have experienced the gift shop many times (Sandwich is my home town and I visit often) and also the Tavern. This trip we ate in the Daniel Webster Room (I love this room) and several times in the Conservatory.
The food was excellent - we had two romantic dinners, I had breakfast once, and my husband had breakfast four times (I was too busy getting SPA treatments). The Spa is the best I have ever tried in layout. The technicians are all skilled and lovely in temperament (chatty or not, your choice). I had a very bad reaction to my full facial wax but that is my skin not the Spa's fault. Try the body wrap - a not to be missed treatment.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We (My wife & I) stayed at Dan'l Webster for 4 days & nights. Everything was just as you seen it in the Website. Rooms are very clean, staff friendly and efficient , and decor appropriate to a colonial inn.

We were just using the inn for lodging as we had our daughter and her family to visit with during the daytime at a beach house on the bay. So other than breakfeast in the restaurant and message in the Spa we didn't relie on resort facilities to provide entertainment.

If you are looking for activities, the resort did not appear to have any such agenda but the village of Sandwich and surrounding area offer many.opportunities.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
northport, n y
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We usually stay at the priciest hotels on the Cape but could not get a room this year so we chose DWI...The traditional room was spacious with a huge closet and bathroom...the hotel pool was charming...overall for $199 a night it was well worth it

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
LA
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We had a wonderful nights stay at the Daniel Webster Inn. The room was warm and inviting. Very clean. We enjoyed the period decor. The in room fireplace was a lovely touch and we enjoyed it in the evening. Breakfast the next morning was not included but delicious and included organic options.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandwich
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Winstead Inn and Beach Resort
Winstead Inn and Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Harwich Port
Cape Codder Resort & Spa

Been to Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!