“Bistro is outstanding!”

Belfry Inn and Bistro
Ranked #4 of 7 Sandwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a family birthday dinner at the Bistro (did not stay at the inn). What a treat! Great, inventive, high quality food with attentive service. One member of the group declared the clam chowder best ever. Desserts were as delicious as the entrees and salads. While not inexpensive, we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here on the last stage of a trip around New England and all wished we had been abke to stay for longer.
We arrived far to early for check in but this caused no problem for them, one of the two rooms that we booked was ready so we put all our cases into that one awaiting our return later.We had rooms in the village house that left nothing out in comfort and views, there was even a hotel cat to welcome us.
The location in Sandwich was great, the village is so pretty, nice and central.
Now we come to the bistro......it's a mistake to call this a bistro as the food is without doubt five star. I started with clam chowder to start and can honestly say it was the freshest and best I have had, and I have had a few. Main course was scallops oh my god, sweet, buttery and full of flavour, followed by creme brulee which was heaven.
You may think that I am overstating it but this was the best hotel I have stayed in in the USA.
Thanks Chris and all your staff for the effort you put in to give such service.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank john k
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Like my numbers indicate, overall it was nice! When I booked this B&B, like another previous guest, I got it at a discounted rate. My rate was 2 for 1 including brkfst and a $35 voucher for dinner. What I found odd was I booked the Lee Room which in the description states that it a king bed with a church pew headboard! From what I remember that was the description of a couple rooms but I liked the Lee Room. The pix I saw we're very nice with yellow and white palette, a small sitting area and a nice bath! I even showed my wife on the pc because it was B-day gift! When we checked in the hostess brought us to the room and when we got in we weren't exactly pleased! The online pix were very deceiving. The king bed wasn't a church pew headboard, the phoneline to reach the front desk had cut so it was in the side table. The hostess said the painters probably cut it by accident. This was another strange thing that painters were there. The radiator heat was controled by turning the handle on the right side.The bathroom was huge, was expecting something a little more intamite, and the ac in the window had a wide open space on the right side. Once we pointed these things out the hostess gladly moved us to the Kristina Room which both my wife and I like much better although this room also did not have a church pew bed, stated on its website, which I later mentioned to the Innkeeper. The room did have a working phone but when I used it call about how to use the radiator heat I got and answering machine, so I left a message, waited a good amount of time only to have go down myself to the main building to find out that he controls the heat in the whole house. The heat did eventually come after 1/2hr like the InnKeeper said. The other thing I found inconvienent was having to get out of bed and go to the bathroom everytime I needed to use a tissue or throw something away since that's where the trash was located, nothing in the bedroom itself!!!! Like I said, overall my wife and I did have two nice days but I think I realized I'm not a B&B kind of a guy!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jomoos
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I attended a wedding in Sandwich and decided to spend the weekend at the Belfry Inne and Bistro. We were SO glad we did!!!
The moment we arrived at the Abbey we knew it was a special place; Jarves street is adorable and is lined with beautiful trees, flowers, and several quaint bed&breakfast spots. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly and we immediately felt comfortable here (my husband notoriously dislikes bed&breakfasts because he feels like we are staying in someone else's home). The entire Inne is beautiful; stained glass windows, original wood beams, etc..the original feel of the church is still very much "present".
We wanted to stay in the Tuesday room but it was booked, so we chose the Saturday room. It was PERFECT. Vaulted ceilings, jacuzzi spa tub, Michael the Archangel stained glass windows, it was more than we expected. The bed was so comfortable and no one ever "bothered" you while in your room, it felt like we were all alone here (which was nice).
We had dinner in the Bistro as well as Sunday breakfast and both were outstanding.
It is hard to find anything to complain about at the Belfry! Probably my only criticism is that there is only ONE mirror in the entire room and it's a bit small (located in the bathroom), this made it tricky while getting ready for a wedding but we managed.
Other than that I seriously can't think of one complaint. We will be back for sure, it was a very special weekend for us thanks to the Belfry. :)

Room Tip: We saw all rooms at the Abbey; Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday were our favorites. Friday and Saturd...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed in the George Room in the Painted Lady. The room is small, but very comfortable, with a fireplace, full bathroom, and massage tub. Even though the windows faced the street, it was very quiet at night and we slept well. The best part of the weekend was the food! We had an amazing dinner and two delicious breakfasts in the Abbey Bistro, and each time our servers were friendly and attentive. We would love to return and would definitely recommend the Inne to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have eaten at the belfry three times now, it has been fantastic every time. The cocktails are great and the food is imaginative. On the last visit my wife had baked flounder over "forbidden" rice, we had a good laugh about that along with our waitress....not sure what made it so forget it but it was delicious.

We splurge on a place like this about 4 times a year....we are definitely not big spenders but once in awhile we like to treat ourselves. The Belfry is certainly one of the better restaurants in the area.

Here is the breakdown: 1 app, 2 entrees, 2 cocktails and one dessert.... $125 (with tip).

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Met friends for dinner. Neither couple stayed at the Inn. Dining room has a warm atmosphere along with high ceilings that are an inviting mix for this renovated church building. All staff went to extremes to make us have a special evening. Though costly, drinks and food were creatively prepared and thoroughly enjoyed. The attentive staff and a personal visit from the head chef made the night magical. Piano music, candle light, and an upbeat unhurried vibe puts this Bistro at the top of our Cape dining experiences

• Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandwich
John Carver Inn & Spa
Sandwich Inn & Suites
#1 of 6 in Sandwich
Isaiah Jones Homestead Bed & Breakfast
The 1750 Inn at Sandwich Center

Been to Belfry Inn and Bistro? Share your experiences!