“Even my husband loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dunbar Restaurant & Tea Room
Ranked #15 of 64 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Dunbar House Restaurant & Tea Room, in an idyllic New England setting serves, lunch and afternoon tea seven days a week from 11-5, as well as tapas and dinner Fridays and Saturdays starting at 5, with an all new wine bar and English tavern, and outdoor seating overlooking beautiful Shawme Pond.
Rockland Cty., NY
“Even my husband loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

Aug. 10 - Our first full day in Cape Cod and it's pouring. The owner of the motel we were staying at recommended a drive on 6A because it is very scenic with older homes, small town flavor and charm. Along the way, I saw a sign for a tea room. I absolutely LOVE tea and the charm of tea houses and I have been to a few here in the states and in England, Scotland and Wales. I mentioned it to my husband and he said "let's go" (much to my surprise). There was a bit of a wait (but that usually means this is a good place!) but we didn't mind as we browsed in the gift shop. The wait was well worth it. The food was amazing. I had the high tea luncheon that was presented so lovely on a two-tiered platter. There was way too much food for one person. They were very accommodating by packing up the rest for me to take. My husband had a roast beef with horseradish platter which he proclaimed was one of the best lunches he had had in a long time. From beginning to end, it was a truly enjoyable lunch. The service was very, very good, with staff checking occasionally to make sure that everything was fine, did we need anything else, etc. When we were leaving, there had to be close to 25 people waiting to get in. I would highly recommend this place and I will definitely go back on my next trip to Cape Cod.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Loved the tea shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

This was my first tea so I don't know, maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. The tea shop is right in a beautiful area in Sandwich, very historical and quaint. The day we went it was damp and rainy even though it was July so tea was sounding really good. The hostess could have cracked a smile and I swear I thought she was giving me the once over (was I dressed properly) when I gave her my name. We had to wait about 20 minutes and were seated right by the fireplace in the corner which I thought was the best seat in the house. Our waitress was friendly alth0ugh it took her awhile to come back to give us the check at the end of the tea. The sandwiches and scones were so good I felt like I could have lived on them. The tea in its cozy was so cute that even my unhappy teenager was content. DD and I shared a tea but they charge extra for the tea. I loved the whole experience despite the snooty hostess and would love to go back.

1 Thank newjerseydaisy
new england
“horrible service, extremely rude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

I went here on a recommendation of a friend. Unfortunately, she had not been there in a while and this place had gone down hill. The food was okay but could have been much better. The service was awful! Our waitress got our order completely wrong and refused to do anything about it. I would absoluting never return and I urge you not to bother going.

7 Thank travelernewengland
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“not very welcoming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2006

July 2006. On a recent visit to New England from the UK, two of us visited the Dunbar Tea Room and were placed at a small table right in front of the noisy, open kitchen door. It was an extremely hot day and as we were seeking some cool respite from the heat, we asked to be moved away from the door to one of the cooler and quieter tables. The lady in charge of seating did not want to move us as the other tables were set "for three people." It was about 11.30a.m and there were several other empty tables. We had to insist on being moved. The scones were pleasant enough but we were not made to feel at all welcome throughout our time there.

7 Thank scotslass4
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Very Disapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

We visted this tea room this June. We were seated right away and were very excited as we had read some good reviews. The tea we ordered arrived weak and to make matters worse they do not allow for refills, they serve the tea in small pots which probably hold only about 12 oz of tea so a refill is a MUST! We both ordered a different slice of their dessert (which they leave on the side board in the dinining room UNCOVERED and right next to table of diners...) We had ordered a slice of cake and a frosted mint brownie and both pieces were dry. We let our server as well as the lady who checked us out know about our problem but neither cared. So unfortunaly this will be our LAST visit to this tea room, we will seek out somewhere other to visit while on our vacation.

11 Thank thewearytravelers