“Great food in a fine setting, but can be crowded and slow”

Dunbar Restaurant & Tea Room
Ranked #17 of 68 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Dunbar House Restaurant & Tea Room, in an idyllic New England setting serves, lunch and afternoon tea seven days a week from 11-5, as well as tapas and dinner Fridays and Saturdays starting at 5, with an all new wine bar and English tavern, and outdoor seating overlooking beautiful Shawme Pond.
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Great food in a fine setting, but can be crowded and slow”
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

This is a go-to place for a change of scene. It is a tea-room with heartier fare, but it's not a pub. More women than men dine here.

3 Thank FoodiePilgrim

Hardy, Virginia
“Rude owner and waitress, terrible food”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We have been going to the Dunbar Tea Shoppe for the past 15 years that we have visited the Cape. I was so excited to go back this September as it has been 6 years since our last visit. The new addition added some much needed space to the building, but that is the only positive thing I have to say. The Afternoon Tea indeed does not come with tea as I was told by our waitress. I ordered the tea as an extra and my husband ordered the Yeoman's lunch with an ice tea. We then waited over 30 minutes. We had enough time to go to our car twice take photos and drink an entire pot of tea, and still no food. A couple that was seated 20 minutes after we ordered received the exact same meal as we had ordered and, so when I asked the older woman who delivered the lunch if I could speak to my waitress she rudely replied that she was very busy. 5 minutes later our lunch came out delivered by the older woman who turned out to be the owner. I told her I believed that she may have mistakenly delivered our order to the couple next to us and we had been seated 25 minutes before she then became very combative and she refused to let us speak to our waitress. Her words to me were just eat your food and leave it at that. My husband and I both felt humiliated and we never saw another person until the original waitress brought the bill and as a parting shot stated that the owner said "the owner said you did not like my service". We never said the service was terrible, we wanted to see our waitress and then the rude tirade from the owner began. The food on the Afternoon Tea was terrible. The bread was stale, the desert squares were purchased offsite. The desert was definitely frozen and thawed daily. My husbands sandwich was a plain white roll with slices of ham. The mustard was so extremely spicy that my husband needed to wash it down, but our waitress never returned to our table and he had nothing to drink. I had such happy memories of previous visits to the tea room with my young children that I was looking forward to a happy experience now that my children are grown. As my last stop before leaving the Cape this experience was devastating, and I want to warn others of the rude owners and staff and the terrible food being served up at this establishment.

• Visited September 2012
9 Thank pharmacygirl3
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Refined and splendid”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've gone to the Tea Room a number of times over the years and was surprised to read some of the comments here. I am amazed by the reviewer who went to a Tea Room, one that has multiple signs saying Tea Room, and was disappointed to find herself in a Tea Room and not some other type of restaurant. And after an Afternoon Tea and chowder was still hungry. That explains a good deal.

This is a popular choice for tea and excellent, well prepared meals. The Yeoman's is my favorite but the afternoon tea is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. This is not a fast food restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank Katherine D
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Fantastic Lunch”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stopped in for a late lunch on a gorgeous day, sat in the main dinning room with all the doors and windows open and a nice breeze. Introduced my young daughters to Cream Tea, strawberry jam and clotted cream were delicious. The desserts were the best all four types, tea was perfect. Not the cheapest but worth the money for the food and experience.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank MKP42
Lawrenceville, NJ
“A nice spot for lunch, with worthwhile distinction”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife, father-in-law and I enjoyed lunch here yesterday, on the way to the Dexter Grist Mill and the Hoxie House. I had the fisherman's lunch (with smoked mackerel), while my wife had the lunch with ham slices and salad. We all thought the ambience wonderful, a great break from the every day. With soft drinks and iced teas, and a view of the gardens outside, it's worth the trip from a distance. We weren't up for the traditional English tea with finger sandwiches, but they looked terrific. We all said we'd return for another visit down the road.

Visited August 2012