“Fantastic Lunch”

Dunbar Restaurant & Tea Room
Ranked #18 of 66 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Dunbar House Restaurant & Tea Room, in an idyllic New England setting serves, lunch and afternoon tea seven days a week from 11-5 with an all new wine bar and English tavern, and outdoor seating overlooking beautiful Shawme Pond.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stopped in for a late lunch on a gorgeous day, sat in the main dinning room with all the doors and windows open and a nice breeze. Introduced my young daughters to Cream Tea, strawberry jam and clotted cream were delicious. The desserts were the best all four types, tea was perfect. Not the cheapest but worth the money for the food and experience.

1  Thank MKP42

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife, father-in-law and I enjoyed lunch here yesterday, on the way to the Dexter Grist Mill and the Hoxie House. I had the fisherman's lunch (with smoked mackerel), while my wife had the lunch with ham slices and salad. We all thought the ambience wonderful, a great break from the every day. With soft drinks and iced teas, and a view of the gardens outside, it's worth the trip from a distance. We weren't up for the traditional English tea with finger sandwiches, but they looked terrific. We all said we'd return for another visit down the road.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was not a destination restaurant, but rather a stumbled on choice after visiting the Sandwich Glass Museum (which was outstanding). We choose restaurants primarily by the number of cars in the parking lot and of course the reviews on Trip Advisor. On this occasion, we chose only the parking lot guide. We arrived for breakfast and were impressed by the decor (Old English, Country French) and the talented harpist providing background music (however the acoustics did not favor music and conversation). We ordered coffee which arrived promptly, but much stronger than some might like, with the choice of milk or cream, nice touch. My husband ordered eggs benedict and I ordered the French toast made from brioche. My husband's meal was excellent, eggs poached correctly, hollandaise not too overdone. However, my French toast was dry and lacked flavor (another reviewer noted the same issue). I know brioche bread is a little drier to begin with so it is a good candidate for the batter, which is......eggs, milk or cream, vanilla, nutmeg or cinnamon, dash of salt......SOAK BREAD IN EGG BATTER, cook on griddle until golden on both sides, sprinkle with confectionery sugar and local fruit or maple syrup. They skipped the "soaking" part and as a result served three dried out pieces of day old break....yuk. No one asked about our meal until it was too late. It looked like they were very short staffed on a busy Sunday morning and it was hard to get anyone to make eye contact. We may try it again next year.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Dunbar Tea Shop is a must visit whenever we are on the Cape. It is open year round and the space is suited to all seasons with nice large windows in the main room, and a cozy fireplace in the original room. The menu is unique and if you have not visited before it helps to ask your server what exactly each item entails, some offerings are definitely more hearty than others. The specials are always great, especially when they are offering a chilled soup. For dessert the bumbleberry pie should not be missed! The tea selection is expansive with both hot and iced teas, you can also buy all of the teas offered in the shop. The Tea Shop is in the downtown area of Sandwich, there is plenty of parking in the gravel lot and on the street. Sometimes they also have live harp music which is very nice. This isn't a fast food sandwich place but good food carefully prepared and served to you. I have visited other U.S. tea rooms and so far none are even close in quality, service and selection to the Dunbar, I wish I lived closer!

1  Thank BrisketJones
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have visited the Dunbar Tea Shop since the mid 90's, prior to this visit it has been 3 years, even after reading the reviews, friends and I decided to try it again for breakfast. How disappointing. The service was fine, the food another story. One of us asked for Eggs Benedict. They came out minus the english muffin(?huh?). The french toast was awful. It was dry as a bone and I don't think any egg was used. It was more like two grilled pieces of bread. The "seasonal fruit" was never served. We didn't find parking to be a problem, probably because people are reading the reviews. I hope the owners see some of these reviews and get Gordon Ramsey to help!

3  Thank nona1ca