“fine dining”

The Pilot House Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #13 of 70 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Please note the Pilot House is closed for the months of January and February 2018 and reopening in early March.
Reviewed October 2, 2018

This is a finer dinning restaurant near Cape Cod Canal. Sea food was fresh and a good selection. We had a group of 7 including a toddler and the service was excellent. Nice place to enjoy a walk along the canal after dinner.

1  Thank James D

Reviewed October 2, 2018

The food here is very good. We have had two meals here on separate occasions. They have great outdoor seating with heaters and music. The scallop salad was delicious and the swordfish dinner was huge. I was surprised at the large portion of fish...cooked perfectly. I would definitely come back - I recommend reservations.

2  Thank vacationhappy_11
Reviewed October 2, 2018

The views were lovely. A cruise ship passed through the canal while were eating. The food was well prepared. The menu was varied. The service was excellent without being intrusive.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank ghostmom5
Reviewed September 28, 2018

I take guests throughout the summer to this beautiful location at the Sandwich marina for drinks out on the lawn and lovely lunches outside on the patio. The scallop salad is delicious and memorable and the broiled Schrod is fresh and yummy. Our last visit was disappointing because there were so many flies in the dining room. I asked if they could bring me a fly swatted or fly paper but our wonderful waitress said that was not allowed. She apologized for the flies and seemed genuinely embarrassed. I wasn't able to enjoy my meal because of the flies and will probably not go back to the pilot house again.

1  Thank Linda P
Reviewed September 23, 2018

Terrible disappointment. A special occasion dinner was a flop.

Literally, from the time we went in with the musty moldy smell, to the totally disinterested and unresponsive bimbo at the front desk, it was terrible. We were unceremoniously escorted to a table without any comment. When our server finally showed up, he was also uninterested almost to the point of giving the impression of being put out that we were there.

The order process was somewhat rushed, with the Stuffed Quahogs ordered first. Rolls were unceremoniously plopped on the table without any comment. He did bring water as I to him that was fine. The rolls went, and we asked for more which did come this time hot from the oven.

We picked two dishes that should have been a no brainier for the cooks. Shrimp Scampi and Baked Stuffed Shrimp. The shrimp were small 16-23 size, not much "jumbo" as the menus said. Now, there were 4 in each dish. However, both dishes were badly overcooked. The shrimp stuffing was a melon baler size and somewhat tasty. The shrimp were rubbery with most of the taste cooked out. A salad was supposed to come with the scampi. It never arrived. We were never asked if the food was OK. We were never asked if we wanted desert. The dinner check was just unceremoniously dropped on the table without comment.

Now let me talk about the menu. Almost everything on the menu, except the appetizers, was $25.99. I did find a chicken dish at $22.99. Both our dishes were $25.99. You would think that perhaps they could have really used real JUMBO shrimp and maybe a couple of more per order. A little ripped off, just maybe. Way over priced, definitely.

I rarely give bad reviews, trying to be positive about the places we visit. However, would we ever go back. Never. Take heed and look elsewhere for food. Sea food Sam's is right around the corner - and it is good.

1  Thank John C