“Too bad about the service”

The Dan'l Webster Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dan'l Webster Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 66 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Traditional favorites share the menu with contemporary cuisine. Lovely dining rooms offer a choice of settings; candle-lit rooms, fireside dining in the Music Room or garden side dining in the sun or moonlit Conservatory combine with outstanding service and innovative cuisine to produce a positively exceptional dining experience. We welcome guests in all our dining rooms dressed from casual to their Sunday best. The Dan'l Webster Inn serves contemporary American cuisine for lunch and dinner daily, year round. Start your day in elegant style with a delightful Breakfast. Recipient of The Wine Spectator's prestigious Best of Award of Excellence, features wines that will please even the most discriminating guest. The Inn, recognized as a Distinguished Restaurant of North America, offers familiar favorites such as the most tender prime rib and filet mignon available along with seasonal and creative dishes from our constantly changing Chef's Special Menu
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Too bad about the service because the food and ambiance was quite good.

My wife and I spent 10 days in New England to re-explore that area of the continent, so we were on the road most days touring and walking. Most days we would wear jeans or nice shorts and a nice shirt.

When we arrived, the hostess took a look at us and said, "I think we'll put you in the tavern" as if to say you're not clean enough for the dining room. I would have fully understood if she said "we have a dress code for the dining room, would the tavern be okay?"

We then sat down and looked at the great menu and the server arrived and we asked him what was was on tap. One of the selections was a Pumpkin Beer. I asked him if it was actually made with pumpkins and his reply was (get ready for it), "I don't know, I don't drink beer". No further explanation. Unbelievable!

In any event, we had a very nice lunch, although the side dish that my wife ordered wasn't provided. As the waiter said, "the kitchen didn't tell me that they changed the side dish". Okay, we get it, you hate your job.

We paid up (no tip this time -- first time maybe ever) and got no "have a good day" from the hostess as we were leaving. I think she and her friend were too busy gossiping about something. They didn't even see us leave.

Too bad for a nice place. I still shutter when I think about the service.

1  Thank jeffreybrookfield
KimSt, Executive Assistant to General Manager at The Dan'l Webster Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Mr. Brookfield ~
We are very disheartened to hear of your last experience with us; by no means should you have felt that the service was enough to shutter about. But we would also like to thank you for your honest review; without reviews such as this, we would not have the opportunity to fix the situation.

We have reviewed this with the team and our General Manager, Gary Cremeans has asked that I contact you to ask you to please call him at your convenience. We strive every day, every table, every Guest to create the ultimate Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa experience and we certainly missed that opportunity with you and your wife.

We would like more information regarding your visit so we can address this with each involved team member individually. Rest assured, we do not let comments such as these fall on deaf ears.

We look forward to your call and sincerely apologize for the experience.

Sincerely ~
Kim Stanfield
Executive Assistant to Gary Cremeans, General Manager

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My friends and I had a wonderful dinner here, entertained by the live piano player in our dining room. The menu had a great variety of meals from casual, crisp wood fired pizzas to lobster crusted cod. The deserts were good, too.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Excellent choices! Worth the $$$. Need a reservation and don' show up early...they are booked. Local spot for towns people and travelers.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

A nice varied menu. Good portion size. Well prepared and presented and very tasty. No hesitation in recommending them.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We chose this venue fordinner suring our short stay in Sandwich, although staying elsewhere for the ambience , friendliness and genuine welcome. The food was excellent ok a bit pricey but this is Cap Cod and the chance to order smaller portions was a real bonus. These by UK standards were a regular size. My husband had the best Fillet Mignion ever all beautifully presented with interesting flavourings