“Oh what a night!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tomatoes Italian Bar & Grille
Ranked #33 of 64 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Oh what a night!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Tomatoes proved once again why it is always our choice for a great dining experience. After spending a day cooking (Thanksgiving) I decided it was time for what has become a Hood family tradition, reservation at Tomatoes. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law were visiting so there were 9 of us. We were sat immediately upon arrival (good thing we had reservations, it was an hour wait). Rachel our waitress was right there to take our drink order and warn us that there were only 3 lamb dishes left, so if lamb was on our mind, now was the time to speak. The only thing we had to wait for was our drinks (the bar was abit busy) Rachel was on top of everything at all time. The food was awesome as usual. Their menu is not just pasta, but many items you would not expect to find on an Italian menu. Two of my sons ordered the hanger steak, which is usually great, but was overcooked and tough. I mentioned this to Rachel and she immediately removed the 2 meals from the bill. There is another Italian restaurant in town we use to frequent, Amari's. We found ANTS (yes, live crawling ants) in our fried mozzarella ball appetizer and we had to ask to have them removed from the bill and there was no apology. We don't go there any more, and I have told everyone I know and even those I don't about my ants. WE love Tomatoes, good food, good drinks, good service and good fun! Thanks Rachel for helping to making our family get together really special! We got some great pictures, again, thanks Rachel!!

1 Thank CapeCodBonBon

Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Our go to Italian restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Very good service, nice ambiance, and delicious food in Gigantic portions. The wine suggestions are better than average. A movie, then dinner at Tomatoes, a very nice way to spend an evening.

Hyannis, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Try at your own risk....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

One of the worst dining experiences I've ever encountered. Due to the fact that it is one of the local areas only Italian restaurants, the locals seem to frequent it. After receiving a basket of bread with the center of the pieces frozen, I returned them to the bus boy after poking my finger in one. He returned them later, (same basket) with my poke hole in a piece freshly nuked... Ordered the Artichoke hearts wrapped in Prosciutto for Appetizer... A nice leathery texture.... A bit well done and dry... After ordering the leather, I had place my order for a Caesar Salad with a side of Anchovies, an entree for myself (Veal Parmigiana) and a Pasta Bolagnase for my Partner... The salad arrived without my anchovies.. I had to ask for them twice... Soon after the salad arrived so did the bus boy with my dinners. So I sent the dinners back until I at least could have some salad... I explained to the waitress what had happened and expressed that I would expect FRESH entrees. A short time after, out came the same entrees... COLD... I sent them back for a second time... Then after a few minutes, the Hostess comes over with the same entrees and explains that their will be no charge on them... OF COURSE NOT... RE-HEATED FOR A SECOND TIME??? Ever eat reheated tough Veal??? I paid the bill for two lovely cocktails (which is probably why people like the place) and left. Try at your own risk....

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark K
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Durgin Park of Sandwich”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

A few years ago I brought a customer (President of a Boston consulting firm). The waiter was beyond rude to him. So, lesson learned for me - never bring a customer. My husband and I have tried it for take-out over the years. Our most recent take-out experience was our last. The order was wrong and they over charged us. When my husband asked for the over charge to be returned the hostess said she didn't know how to do a credit. Yes, that's right. The order was wrong and they over charged and were bothered we asked for the over charge delta to be returned. He said between the manager and the hostess there were more eye rolls towards him than you would find in a 7th grade geometry class. The best part - the take out salad had spoiled cherry tomatoes and we had to toss them. If you're into Durgin Park - you'll love this place.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sandwich S
“Always consistent!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great menu, generous portions and affordable. Great waitstaff. Very attractive decor and a second home for many who live in a very upscale gated community in Sandwich!!

Visited July 2012