“Tent Camping”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sandy Neck Beach

Ranked #13 of 39 things to do in Sandwich
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic stretch of beach on charming Cape Cod is perfect for relaxing, birdwatching and hiking.
Wolcott, Connecticut
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Tent Camping”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Only 3.3 mile hike but they failed to tell us about the green head and mosquito infestation and that the hike was in the sand (not a trail) with no shade whatsoever. I got heat exhaustion by the time we reached the campsite. I was very sick, overheated,vomiting and couldn't keep water down. We called to get a ride out, trying to get me somewhere to cool down. Only to get someone telling us its 60 a person, "did you see the price it's $60 for us to come get you?" The guy was so nasty about coming to get us we stayed hoping I would get better and not need medical attention for heat exhaustion. We hiked out at 5am the next morning when it was cool. I was shaky and sick the whole next day. I would have loved for someone to check on us after calling that I was sick with heat exhaustion and needed a ride out. MEDICAL care and SAFETY of the campers should be first not the price and the inconvenience of having to drive out there.

1 Thank unhappycamper526

Fitchburg, Massachusetts, USA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Rocky Neck Beach”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I do not understand the rating being so high for this beach. My comments will be identical to each review - how could anyone give above 3 stars? I can only explain this way. If you go to the beach to sunbathe, swim, or play in the sand or water - do not go here.

Pros:
Snack bar and bathrooms
Parking lot
Not crowded
Beautiful

Cons:
Rocks/pebbles cover beach
Green head flys
Not a beach with waves
$20 per day parking

If you like to look at natural beauty of beaches - this is a very nice natural beach. There are hiking trials (we were afraid to use due to green heads).

The off road vehicle comments are also a little deceiving. You cannot just drive you 4x4 on to the beach. That would be great, we had an SUV. The guy at gate said non-resident can buy seasonal pass only and it was $160. No day or weekly pass. I did not investigate more since I assume ranger at entrance had all the facts. It did seem like a lot of SUVs were entering the beach.

2 Thank Kevin C
East Sandwich
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Long peaceful beach”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Too bad Sandy Neck is sooooo rocky!! This is a gorgeous almost untouched area of Cape Cod. Beautiful sand dunes and miles of beach to spread out on. Walking is great but wear beach shoes unless you have very tough feet!!

1 Thank kelskibike
East Sandwich
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“My next door beach”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I love this place!

You're right, it can be rocky and full of pebbles, but that's just a minor annoyance. I usually don't go into the water until about July 4th because it can be very cold or very warm - also depending on the tides. Green head flies can be a nuisance - also depending on the wind.

The birding and turtle watching - as in diamond back terrapin can be very enjoyable. In season, peach plum picking is a wonderful pastime. Oh yes, there's cranberry bogs that can also be gleaned - there were working bogs up until very recently.

For off-road vehicle users the piping plover nesting season will surely crimp your style. Piping plover are endangered species nesting on quite a large portion of the beach. After nesting and fledging the authorities open all trails. Horseback riding is allowed, with certain seasonal restrictions.

There is water fowling, primitive arms white tail deer hunting and shellfishing...When bluefish and strippers are around, the surf casting can have good results.

If you go, watch out for poison ivy on the back side of the beach and ticks!

In the day, stranded whales were tried out on the beach ambitious Cape Coders.

1 Thank grumpy_east_sandwich
Toronto, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Do not know why it's called Sandy”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This beach is all rocky - very nice with different types of rocks and swim shoes are recommended. Water was cold, however the facilities were okay. Not too busy and very nice.

1 Thank QuestDreamer