“Surprisingly worth it. (Spring 2010)”

Heritage Museums & Gardens
Book In Advance
More Info
$105.00*
and up
Small-Group Day Trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod...
Ranked #1 of 51 things to do in Sandwich
More attraction details
Owner description: You can enjoy more than 70 acres of gardens after visiting the art and history museums at the Heritage.
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Well the new waterfall and auto museum have opened up now so I can understand how people would have previously been a little underwhelmed coming here. Honestly, for my wife and I, this was an ideal place to spend the morning. $12 per person is a little pricey but there really is a lot to see in here. Of course there's the enormous grounds to roam, but spread out along the pathways is a really cool old car museum (neither my wife or I are into cars, and we both found it to be really interesting), there's a little folk art museum, a 100-year-old operational carousel (A very fun, and safe, and free ride) There was another little history museum highlighting some military stuff and historical gravestones, an authentic old windmill, and a very nice little outdoor covered cafe where we ate lunch. Honestly, I don't know any other place you could do all that for $12. (Well, ok the lunch isn't included of course.)

I like the cell phone tour also, at each point you could call a number on your cell phone to hear an explanation or history of the particular plant or building you were looking at.

We found a $3 off admission coupon in the Sandwich published tourist booklet. Plus I saw they honored all kind of other discounts for certain memberships. $6 for kids could be steep if you have a big family, but for my wife and I this was the perfect place. We thought we'd spend an hour or 2 there, we ended up spending nearly 4 hours there!

Overall, it just a nice peaceful and refreshing morning. We'll definitely return someday.

2  Thank aaronstout
in 12 reviews
"carousel ride"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2009

Okay, so they're asking a little much. That being said, it's worth it if you plan on spending the entire day hiking the trails. If you only have an hour or so (like I did) don't miss the car museum... it's definitely the highlight.

1  Thank wahoo7
Reviewed August 6, 2009

There is a difference between a labyrinth and a maze. Both are here. My grandsons love them both. They love the carousel and the cars. The history museum has kids activities and the art collection is interesting.

The carousel is particularly wonderful. The rides are long and the horses are very beautiful.

The food at the cafe is good and not as expensive s other places like this. Of course, you can bring your own food.

Membership is a good deal and we joined this summer so we can take the grandkids and visit ourselves. It has wonderful plantings and is very well kept.

For those looking for a quiet day on the Cape without sand in your shoes.

1  Thank RogerBERG
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I can't believe they charge 12 bucks to get into this place. First of all the herb garden is in a fenced in area about ten feet square connected to the administration building. This garden is so small, someone could make one in about an hour. Second the labrynth, is a bunch of small pebbles underneath a tree with an outline of a maze. It's like someone took some wheelbarrow full of stone and dumped it around a tree. Third the hydrangea garden I thought would at least be good because they are blooming now. I was wrong. The plants are all like 2 feet tall and have one or two flowers on them. My wife commented that the houses on the street after we left this place had better flowers.
We spent 18 bucks to get in (9 bucks each with a coupon we had) and spent like 20 minutes in the place. This is definitely not worth it, save your money.

4  Thank dawheel
See more reviews
Reviewed June 20, 2009

We visited the Heritage Museum in Sandwich MA on a rainy day in mid June. The road signs for the museum are hard to find and we didn’t see any identifying Grove Street but take the time to locate these wonderful gardens and museums. The museums had a variety of interesting exhibits and the gardens were in top shape. It was refreshing to see such a large garden that had such a high level of care and such a diverse collection of plantings.
There are three different museums spread out on the grounds. A Shaker style barn houses the antique autos, an American history museum and an art museum. If it’s raining be sure to wear a raincoat or bring an umbrella there’s quite a distance between exhibits. It’s a half mile walk between the Auto and art museums.
The museum was founded in 1969 by Josiah Kirby Lilly II as place to store his private collections today a private foundation does an excellent job maintaining the facility.
Don’t miss this hidden gem.

5  Thank pand155