“Up close with Nature”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salisbury
Salisbury Beach State Reservation Campground
Orlando, Florida
“Up close with Nature”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Favorite place of mine to get up close with Snowy Owls & Fox kits. Not a beach for bathing but yeah you can get bird shots which is my primary reason of visiting this place. Great location nevertheless.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Agniva_Das

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Hampshire
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family and I have being coming to this campground every year for the past 30+ years! (Before I was born ;) ) We continue to come here year after year. The campground is ALWAYS fully booked on Memorial day weekend. We reserve our site maybe 6 months in advance! I don't think it is as busy on the non-holiday weekends.

This campground is "alcohol free" so you need to conceal your drinks. They won't give you any problems unless you are disturbing others.

The sites aren't for everyone, since you don't have much privacy. That has never been a problem for us. You shouldn't expect wooded sites at the beach anyway.

I love being steps away from the beach. Dogs are allowed on the river side of the beach which I love since I bring my dog along.

The sunsets are out of this world. I actually painted a few of them and have them around my house.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Liane M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great location, for beach lovers such as myself. The beach is in walking distance, but not really a great swimming beach, but great for sunbathing. I could not understand why they only had one trash dumpster. I appreciate the idea of having my privacy when doing business, but I found the receptionist a little cold, when having people step outside to wait there turn to check in or out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisha L
Minnesota
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were told that Salisbury beach is caught in a time warp. Its glory days have passed and it's too early to say it is getting a 2nd wind. My son first described the area as, "zombie town". I guess I'd have to agree between the mix of boarded up attractions and the overall run down appearance of things. Hampton Beach seems to be where it's all happening.
However, given that, the campground is nothing short of interesting. The location is great if all you want is the beach or the river, but not the boardwalk. I didn't read all the reviews but of the ones I did read, I'm surprised no one mentioned the ridiculous system in place for checking in when you arrive at the campground. We arrived with maybe 4 campers ahead of us. The signs instruct you to wait in your vehicle until you are first in line. Then you may get out, walk across the parking area to the office where a couple of teenagers check you in. The door says to only allow one camper in at a time for "privacy". "Shhh, don't let anyone know, but I'm checking in to camp here". If you didn't pre-register with all your vehicle and camper info, the process takes minutes per camper. What that means is that everyone else in their big busses, trucks and other tow vehicles is left idling in the sun burning up fossil fuel thinking not very nice things about the MA park system or the people in front of them who obviously did not take the time to pre-register. (I did - I was in and out of that office in less than 60 seconds!!!).
By the time we were at the front of the line there were probably about 12 vehicles idling behind us.
The campground itself is not very scenic in that it's all shrubby beach trees, weeds and sand. Put close to 500 campsites on top of that and people who literally move-in with every imaginable camping shelter, and the aged bath buildings & store, and it's very hard to find a positive thing to say. It seemed more campsites than not had more than one vehicle at the site parked every which way. Rules? Joke. No alcohol, but go ahead. The place is jam packed and because there is not really any vegetation it looks kind of like a bad parking lot.
It seems there is some work going on, but the place is in dire need of a face lift.
The funny thing is, though, we had no personal issues. Our campsite was fine. Water hookup is a shared post for 4 sites so make sure your hose is long enough. It can get very windy so you may want to bring things to anchor down your awning. Lots of awning and screen tents - some live through the wind, some not so well. Our neighbors, who seemed to have about 12 people, left food and other items out. On a windy day there were pans and trash flying everywhere.
The beach is very nice. The bath buildings here seem very nice, but it seemed the parking lots had trash scattered around. The beach is steep - during high tide the waves break right on shore which is not near as fun. At low tide it's more shallow and the waves were also more fun.
We had fun and a good experience overall, but the Ritz Carlton of camping this place is not.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank JCJake
Jay, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent four days at Salisbury Beach, MA beginning Tuesday July 16, 2013 and checking out Saturday July 20, 2013.

We were disgusted! Aside from the facts that the Green-Heads wrecked our relaxing vacation and the heat was miserable, the place is a mess!

There are no trash receptacles around to place trash into so people just let it blow away. We found numerous broken glass bottles on the Merrimack River side of the Camping area. Every time we have come to this park, we have had to clean the campsite ourselves before we set up our equipment. The camp sites are the same as they have been for fifteen years that I can remember. No effort is made to level them or to get grass to grow, no trees are planted to replace those that have died. There are beach roses and weeds growing in walk ways that should have been trimmed back YEARS ago. Road cracks have been left to choke with weeds & grass to further their destruction. In fact it looks like there has been NO landscaping done anywhere inside this so called State Park for many, many years. How does Massachusetts justify taking money from campers and NOT spending it on the facilities? Is this just another income pipeline for the State?

Another issue is the lack of enforcement of rules; dogs bark constantly, children run unsupervised through camper's areas, fireworks are set off with NO reaction from authorities. We watched as a fisherman walked down to the waters edge among swimmers, set up his surf casting equipment and cast out with NO regard for the swimmers there. If your employees are scared to enforce the regulations, hire grown ups. Those college kids are not up to the job and the "Host Campers" apparently are useless. We camped next to one such couple and they never came out of their trailer except to go out to dinner.

Next summer will be a different story! We will also inform everyone we know what a total loss our vacation was due to State Parks of Massachusetts being so mismanaged.

Don't waste your money time or vacation days...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Mack B
Montreal
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I've stayed in campgrounds in Canada, the U.S., and Europe--probably 50 or so in all--and this was one I definitely would not return to. Tents are jammed in cheek-by-jowl. Coney Island would look like a wilderness paradise by comparison. But the worst part is the individual campsites are not clearly marked off. I'm attaching a photo that shows the problem. I was in site Y22 (where my motorbike is parked). I had people from Y20 and Y22 spilling over into what I assumed was my space. I pitched in the back of the area (it's the small blue tent) and a ranger came by and said I wasn't in the right spot. Where should I be, I asked? She wasn't quite sure. The guy in Y22 had three cars parked in his area! (I think I read the limit was two.) Then there was the noise problem. Quiet time is supposed to be, I seem to recall, from 10 to 7. A guy next to me was hammering away with a hatchet using the road as a backstop. This went on until 11 p.m. No ranger came by during that time. Meanwhile there was a firework display that started at 10 and went on for 45 minutes. What, the rangers didn't notice that? Or they gave permission to have one? This wasn't the 4th of July. (It was July 10.) The staff was a mixed bag. Some were quite friendly; some were surly. I walked up to a washroom and looked up to see a sign saying it was closed. Before I had time to turn around, the woman cleaning the bathroom said "It's closed"--in a voice that sounded like, 'Are you a moron? It's closed!'

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank PierreHD
Laprairie
Reviewed July 8, 2013

its cheap, and clean campground. Beautiful location. Not alot of shade, so bring your own. Reserve early! this is a state run campground, and they are not flexible.
This year, they are not alowing any alcohol whatsoever in the park, not on the campgrounds, not even on your site, noyt even inside your ten or trailer! The State Trooper are strick about this and they will kick you out if they see you have some.
the roads around the campgroound are paved, roller blades skate boards welcomed! Nice place to bike, jogging, run on the beach early in the am.. but do not go near the seals on the beach, they have a restaining order , and you will be fined by those state troopers on the boats.
All this to say, this place is a safe place.. lots of surviance around for the kids . I travel as a single mom, and I was not once afraid.. no noise after 11pm. As you can see it's not for everyone. Looking to party, go else where :-)

Room Tip: Y lane is only for tents..