“So cosy you won't want to leave”
Review of Linden Tree Inn

Linden Tree Inn
Ranked #13 of 25 Rockport B&B and Inns
Didcot, United Kingdom
“So cosy you won't want to leave”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Frankenstorm hit but we were fine; Tobey - the Innkeeper - kept us stocked with breakfast, pots of tea, scones, chocolate cookies and let us borrow her laptop and phone to tell relatives back in England that we were fine. Wonderful to lie in a huge wooden bed listening to the wind whipping around the eaves, knowing we were safe and warm inside a wonderfully decorated (for Halloween) home. I'd love to see how she decorates it for Christmas. Tobey even gave us some scones and Halloween treats when we left! The Linden Tree is the perfect place to relax; it's definitely part of the holiday

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I first came to Rockport MA in 1998 and we stayed here then. It is a beautiful spacious old house. We liked it then and we have been back about every three years since including this year (2012). New decking has been built at the entrance from the car park but otherwise little has been changed. To us that is a plus! It is like staying with a well loved friend. We find the atmosphere charming. Breakfast is from 8am to about 10.30 am which suits us fine. The home cooking is delicious - especially Tobey's home made cookies! The room we stay in is spacious and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom is small but adequate. There is free WiFi. Five to ten minutes walks us either down to the seafront or to the train station, with a good prompt service to Boston (except that we would like a train back between the 8.30pm and 10.40pm offered.) Cape Ann is a beautiful area and always worth a visit.

Room Tip: The room we stay in is at the front over the dining room with a good view into King Street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed here in September for 3 nights. Normally we stay in another B &B in Rockport but could not get in there so opted for the Linden Tree. My wife and I were pretty disappointed and couldn't agree with the previous review more. This place could be really something special but the innkeepers just don't seem to be bothered that much. They are nice enough people but they have little interaction with the guests. Every time we saw the lady host she was sitting watching TV or on her computer in the office and she made little effort at having any form of conversation with us. Her husband seems like a nice enough guy but is out at work a lot.
As for the house and room. We stayed in Room 22 on the upper floor (2nd floor in USA). The room was large and the bed very comfortable but the decor is very tired. Also the ceiling was dreadful. It would appear that some years ago a 'suspended' plastic tile ceiling was installed. The tiles were in a bad state now and are buckled and very unsightly. They definitely don't go with the old furniture and decor. We had an over-bed light which didn't work and whilst I asked the innkeeper to check this out it never happened in our three days. All in all the room was as per the rest of the house - very tired and in need of some TLC. The bathroom was not too good either. The window curtains had black mould spots all over them and really need changing. The Shower rail was old and rusty and there was an unguarded low level electric heater located adjacent to the bath. I don't know if this actually works but I certainly was not going to try it. The bathroom cleaning schedule left a lot to be desired too. A small hair behind the basin tap stayed there throughout our stay! Other things that bothered me were the location of two fridges on the landing. These should really not be located in the escape route. What if they take fire. The escape route and staircase could rapidly fill with smoke and people could find themselves trapped. This certainly would not be permitted in the UK.
As for breakfast it was acceptable but nothing to write home about. The 'legendary' scones were ok but again nothing special but we understood that the lady was having problems with the oven. All in all this place was just mediocre and not good value for money. The Linden Tree is as said in a previous review, very tired and in need of an upgrade in numerous areas. It is definitely a budget B & B by comparison to the normal place we stay in Rockport.

Room Tip: No tip as I would not stay here again.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was disappointed in the Linden Tree Inn, which I expected to like. The location is excellent, down the street from Sandy Bay, and the house could be wonderful. I found the decor rather tired and dated, as if no changes or improvements have been made in a long time. The bathroom in particular was very dull, strictly utilitarian, not one thing attractive about it.

The king sized bed was comfortable, and we slept well, but the sheets were awful; they seemed very old, not even 100% cotton as far as I could tell. The towels were also sub-standard.

Breakfast in the dining room was all right, but was presented with no charm or attempt at specialness, which one expects in a bed-and-breakfast. We had to get up constantly and help ourselves to everything. The scones were good, especially the almond ones, but the tea was not made properly in a pot-- just tea bags and ordinary white cups, more like mugs, and hot, not boiling water in a carafe-- and self-service, like everything else. I expect better tea than this in a bed-and-breakfast, although in the U.S. getting good tea is always problematic.

The only cooked meal offered in the two days we were there was eggs with bacon, sausage, and potatoes. As I don't eat eggs, this was disappointing. I ended up eating a cup of yogurt for my protein, which is ok, but I don't pay bed-and-breakfast prices to eat a cup of yogurt for breakfast. I don't know whether eggs are always the only hot breakfast entre served. The only fruit offered in the weekend we were there was watermelon, not the best breakfast fruit in my opinion.

The innkeepers may be very nice, as others have said. We did not have much interaction with them. I do think they need to make more of an effort to make this inn special. They seem, frankly, a bit tired.

Overall, my opinion is that this would be an acceptable bed-and-breakfast if it were bargain priced. For what it was, the price we paid for the room ($167 a night) was much too high. We have stayed at far nicer b and b's for less than that. I would have to say this inn was below average of all the ones we have stayed at, and I would give a lower score if there was a category called "below average" rather than "poor."

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The Linden Tree Inn is the perfect place to stay when visiting adorable Rockport. It is ideally situated a short walk from the main beach, downtown and the train station. The rooms are charming and clean. The inn is a wonderfully maintained by John and Tobey who truly make you feel at home. Tobey's amazing scones are reason enough to stay. Besides the varied breakfast of scones, eggs-cooked to order, bacon, and assorted cereals and toast, there's always tea and cookies throughout the day if you need a snack. There is a nicely decorated sitting room for relaxing after a day of adventuring. There's also parking if you aren't taking the train in from Boston. I had a truly lovely time staying at the Linden Tree. I recommend it to friends, families, couples and solo travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank metrochica
Sparta, NJ
Reviewed July 5, 2012

You are treated like family when you stay at this very well appointed Inn. In a beautifully maintained larger historic home also features a four unit carriage house for those who like a bit more privacy. The breakfast is excellent and varied and the signature scones are worth the trip alone. Located very close to "downtown" Rockport it is convenient to beach and shops . Rockport is relatively near to Boston and all the North Shore towns and even has train service to them. The Inn has parking and much character!! Having stayed in this town many times( and at the Inn 3 times) I would rate this as my first choice in Rockport lodgings. These people are great..you will enjoy your visit!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PortiaAnn
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 1, 2012

First of all it is a great location - its in a quiet street with the beach a 2-3 min walk and another 2-3 to the charming town center.

Rooms: #21,22,23 are the king sized beds with 21 & 22 being the spacious corner rooms - do ask for these specifically and they are well sized and nice views. Sofa chairs, free WiFi only adds to it.

Fantastic cook to order breakfast AND the friendliness from Tobey/John only adds to the very pleasant homely atmosphere.

I'd love to return back here!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank n s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Rockport Inn and Suites
#9 of 25 in Rockport
The Tuck Inn B&B
The Tuck Inn B&B
#5 of 25 in Rockport

Been to Linden Tree Inn? Share your experiences!