“Great food and Great service!!”

Fish Shack Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Rockport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2009

The Fish Shack is the only place to go in Rockport. It has a laid back atmosphere and delicious food. Great prices and wonderful service!

1  Thank shortylb

Reviewed August 30, 2008

It has been years since I had been to New England, and I wanted some fresh fried clams, and a lobster roll real bad. Thats what we had along with some fries and cole slaw. The bottom line was that we had some wonderful seafood, a great view...and we paid a fair price for it. Those clams were fresh, sweet and perfect. Now that I live in Texas, I really miss those. Anyway, if you happen to be visiting Rockport and are "jonesing" for some clams, this place will more than do you OK. Enjoy.

2  Thank vespagl
Reviewed August 24, 2008

The Fish Shack exterior had that old seatown look that prompted my party of 4 to go inside. We were promtply seated and had a wonderful view of the harbor on a bright sunny afternoon. Inside atmosphere was typical seasside motif. Drinks were ordered and delivered in good time by a nice friendly waitress. Our food orders - mine being Lobster Pie and my husbands being haddock arrived within a reasonable time but both orders of potatoes (instant) were cold. The waitress was quick to replace them but instant potatoes??? Not for the price we paid!!! The vegetable served was kernel corn (canned I think) - OK but not what I'd expected. The Lobster was very nicely done - and the haddock disappeared from my husbands plate quickly and was said to be very good. Our friends shrimp and swordfish dishes were fresh and tasty and serverd with a side of rice pilaf and there were no complaints. Overall our experience was good - just wished they'd bump up the quality of mashed potato and veggies. As a side note, the ladies room had three stalls, two of which were out of order and the one working was out of bathroom tissue. That was a turnoff but 'm willing to give it another try in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2008

We thought the food was really good--it doesn't get any fresher than this! You can also now have a glass of wine or beer with your meal--it's no longer a dry restaurant.

Our server was very helpful and friendly. Which was a nice plus...since, sadly, we couldn't say the same for a lot of the restaurants and stores in Rockport. We kind of got used to it after a few days....

The meals are simply prepared, but as fresh as they come. I'd definitely recommend it!

1  Thank szpal
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Date: 5/27/08
After reading an article in New England Travel entitled "A Lobster Tale", I discovered, according to the article, that one of the best lobster rolls was available not too distant from our where we resided on the North Shore. Extending the Memorial Day weekend with one extra day translated into a road trip to Rockport on what started to be a beautiful, warm and sunny Tuesday.

I'd been to Rockport many times over, but never paid much attention to the Fish Shack, located at Dock Square in the historic Bear Skin Neck area of Rockport. Walking in just before the sky opened up into torrential downpours, we were greeted warmly and told we could sit anywhere. Regardless of the rain, the view of the harbor was lovely and I could only imagine what it would be like when it wasn't raining.

Looking around the restaurant, I noticed a couple just being served a steaming plate of fried calamari. I decided to do the same as our appetizer We put in drink orders, but because Rockport is a semi-"dry" town (it used to be completely dry - ie., no alcohol was sold) they couldn't bring us our drinks until our entire food order was put in. We both quickly settled on the lobster rolls, one with fries and the other with cole slaw.

We were promptly served our calamari. What a hidden gem! Beautiful fried rings of calamari served with a warm marinara sauce -- no grease, lightly breaded, sweet and tender rings. We both agreed it was off to a good start.

The lobster rolls came out next. Served on a grilled hot dog bun was a generous portion of lobster meat piled on top of a piece of bibbed lettuce. The meat was a combination of tail, claw and knuckle meat . An accompaniment of mayonaise is served so that one can decide what amount is best. The roll wasn't buttered enough to my liking, nor fresh as it could be, but good none-the-less. The fries were good, but ordinary. The price of the lobster rolls a bit high ($19.95).

All-in-all, we would recommend the Fish Shack. Portions were ample, quality and service was good and the view and atmosphere - very New England. Food = above average. Value = average. Service = average. Overall, a thumbs up.

2  Thank ciao07