“Bad attitudes”

Ranked #2 of 24 Rockport B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Bad attitudes”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've stayed at this place before, and I do have to say that the room was lovely and the breakfast was delicious. That having been acknowledged, the manager I dealt with recently has a serious attitude problem. Unless Seven South Street cleans up its act in this respect, I certainly won't stay here again, and I will pass along that advice to friends of mine who have also stayed with them.

First of all, they are VERY SLOW in returning phone calls. This is truly problematic, considering that they don't have an online reservation system. I've had to wait hours -- sometimes 24-36 hours -- to get a callback when simply trying to make a reservation, even in the off-season when business is slow. That has ultimately led me to stay elsewhere.

As well, I recently made a reservation that didn't turn out very well. While on the phone, I mentioned that I would be arriving into Rockport in the morning. Jim, the gentleman "managing" the place for the owners, told me that the earliest I could get into the room might be 1 PM (normal check-in is at 3 PM). I asked if I would be able to check into the room earlier than 1 PM IF it hadn't been occupied the night before, rather than wandering around Rockport until 1 PM or later. I suggested that I could call upon arrival into Rockport in order to find out the status of the room. To my astonishment, he gave me a resounding "NO", indicating that any earlier than 1:00 would be "a whole new day". When I asked what he meant by “a whole new day”, he told me that given requests of this nature, he “might as well let people do whatever they want, and then people would request all kinds of things”. Thus, entering the room earlier than 1 PM would require being charged for an additional day. He added that he wouldn't guarantee that I could get into the room at 1:00, even if it had been unoccupied the night before.

Now, I have to say that I've traveled quite a bit, AND I was a Hotel Manager for 8 years. I've rarely experienced anything like Jim's attitude, and I would never have imposed that kind of rigid, unreasonable dictate onto a guest. At the hotel I managed (and at any hotel where I've stayed), if a guest arrived into town early and their room was available, then they were welcomed into the room immediately. As a manager of a business premised on "hospitality", why would I allow an early-arriving guest to wander around town, hauling their luggage, when the room for which they were going to pay was empty and clean? That's counterintuitive to logic and the provision of warm welcome. Jim’s attitude also implies that by coincidentally arriving into town early, a guest is somehow trying to subvert the check-in time and "put one over" on the B&B. How ridiculous! I can only say "Shame on you Jim." I hope that Debbie and Nick, who I believe are still the owners, have more common sense than this -- and that they employ people who are better trained, and who innately understand how to work more sensibly with other human beings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank AssikoGal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Montvale, New Jersey
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have been coming to Seven South Street Inn every summer for the past 9 years. Debbie and Nick have been the most gracious hosts; helpful in ever way. The rooms are well appointed and immaculate. Room #7 is our favorite. I think most guests would agree breakfasts are elegant and scrumptious. The inn is in walking distance to shops, restaurants and beaches. And....there is also a swimming pool tucked behind the inn in a lovely setting. We look so forward to our time on Cape Ann each year and Debbie and Nick really make us feel like we are home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at the Seven South Street Inn at the start of our holiday in New England. It is a super place to stay and Debbie and Nick were so welcoming. Our room was lovely and had every comfort .The breakfasts are to die for! We would recommend this inn to everyone and hope to return one day.

east hartfo
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our first experience at a B&B was truly a memorable one. Staying at the Seven South Street Inn was more then we anticipated. The room was lovely and the breakfasts served were exceptional. Debbie and Nick were very helpful and made us feel right at home. In the future should we go back to Rockport, we would not hesitate to stay the Seven South Street Inn.

United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Such a lovely clean and homely B&B in a nice neighbourhood and in walking distance of Rocketport village centre. Could not fault the way the place is managed and spotless throughout! Only downsides are that the gourmet breakfast that is served is of one variety and no alternative is offered to you as in other places where they have a two to three to choose from. Also if you are a smoker beware that Nick the owner is very rude and abrupt when explaining that the only place you can smoke is outside and down the street as he says that if you are near his property at all, some amount of smoke can go into any windows that are open so preferably the further away from the building the better.Apart from that i would recommend this place to anyone as it does have its goodside which is a comfortable and lovely clean place to stay.

Room Tip: Beware that in Rockport if you do not get down to the village restaurants by early evening you might...
Niantic, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just stayed at the Seven South Street Inn for the first time. This Inn is located within walking distance of the center of Rockport, which makes it easy to go shopping, out to dinner or walk to a beach. The Innkeepers, Deb and Nick, are warm & attentive hosts who serve the most delicious gourmet breakfasts we have ever eaten. The most relaxing vacation we've had in a long time and we"ll definitely be back.

Sterling, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to head to Rockport for a last minute labor day vaca. We were SO lucky and got a room for one night at Seven South Street Inn. We were greeted by the fantastic owners and shown to our amazing room. Everything was PERFECT. We stayed in room 6, and everything was so comfortable and inviting, it didnt matter that I left my overnight bag at home!! It was clean, cozy, and decorated very classic New England. In the morning we met other guests in the dining room for a very special and tasty breakfast prepared and served by the owners. I felt like I belonged instantly, and enjoyed every bite of breakfast, complete with homemade coffee cake and fruit smoothies!! I will be staying there again and again and hopefully for many nights in a row!! THANK YOU for making our weekend so carefree, comfortable and welcoming!!

Room Tip: Book early to get a room of your choice, but any one will be worth it!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Rockport Inn and Suites
#3 of 24 in Rockport
Beech Tree B&B
Beech Tree B&B
#4 of 24 in Rockport

Been to Seven South Street Inn? Share your experiences!