“A wonderful overnight stay!”

Eagle House Beachside
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Rockport
New Britain, Connecticut
“A wonderful overnight stay!”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My son and I stayed at the Eagle House Beachside for the first time and we look forward to returning in the near future! For many years, we have visited Rockport as a day trip, but never had the pleasure of staying overnight. We could only stay for one night and the Eagle House Beachside thankfully gave us this opportunity while the nearby hotels mandated a minimum two night stay. We were greeted by a personable staff member named Bernadette who made us feel very welcomed as she showed us to our room and cheerfully outlined the property's amenities. We were fortunate to receive an upstairs level room which was bright, cozy, and well-decorated. I noticed that the furnishings and bedding were purchased from Ikea and looked new. The room faced the ocean and also offered a convenient private entrance in the back. At the end of our day in Rockport, it was a pleasure to sink into the comfortable, soft, new beds and enjoy a restful night's sleep. My son fell asleep in two minutes after double-checking that the front bay windows were wide open to hear the ocean's waves. In our opinion, some of the previous reviews are too harsh. The new owner has made remarkable progress in renovating and updating the rooms, and there is no need to criticize the minor repairs which will be tended to in the near future. We wish the new management the very best of luck and thank you for your hospitality!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisa L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Talleyville, Delaware
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This motel is one of the best locations in Rockport, directly across from Front Beach. The downtown area is only a few blocks away. The views from this beach are some of the best on the Atlantic coast. Restaurants are close by.

We stayed in a decent sized room with a king bed. The bed is new and very comfortable. Most furnishings in the room were also new. A small table and chairs outside of the room offered views of the beach and a pleasant spot to read or have coffee. Satellite TV service offers lots of viewing choices. The room has a microwave and a small fridge. The room has a window air conditioner and lots of windows for beach breezes.

The only negative is the bathrooms are small with no room for toiletries. For a two or three day stay, its not an issue. Everything functioned and the rooms are very clean. The main building at the inn has wireless internet but it doesn't carry to all of the rooms. You may have to go up to the main inn to get email but at least its available.

The rates are very reasonable given the location and view. The on-site management is cordial and very helpful. The owners keep an eye on everything and have done a great job of renovating a classic fifties style motel that has served the town well.

Room Tip: End rooms offer windows on three sides with lots of ventilation. Second floor rooms in the main bui...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Great location across the street from a public beach. Walking distance to many shops and resturants. New owner doing remodel. A little rough around the edges. But has refrigerator, coffee maker and wireless internet. No phones in the rooms. Front desk not always staffed. All that said for a beach front no a bad choice.

• Stayed August 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have to say that the room was visually pleasant and quite clean. I enjoyed the fridge, microwave, and coffee-maker. Didn't mind the old TV at all, given the large number of stations that were available (although I will say that not everything was controllable via remote control -- they need to rectify that). LOVED the ocean view and patios, as well as the neighboring cemetery, which is an interesting, historic landmark.

Now, on to a few of the down sides. The mattress on my bed was hard as a rock -- very uncomfortable. The screen on my door was badly torn -- something noticed by staff, but there was no effort to actually rectify the problem (nor did I ask -- but I shouldn't have had to). At one point as well, the owner (I believe it was the owner) saw me going into the room with some sand on my feet and more or less scolded me for not using the hose at the entry of the parking area, indicating that sand is why the plumbing is getting clogged. First of all, I hadn't been informed about a hose at the base of the parking area. Second, I didn't know there were any plumbing issues. And finally, I can think of better ways to address a guest. The gentleman seemed needlessly exasperated (I suspect it was misdirected exasperation, but nonetheless, not a great way to speak with someone).

Having pointed out these negatives, I'd still go back! The location and views are great, the room was fine, and the price was very competitive relative to similar places along the main drag. I do think that the owner tries to run a decent business and work on improving problems. Based on my interaction with him that day, I'd say that perhaps he was in need of a few days off!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This was a very nice place to stay. It is an older property that is a work in progress. Our experience was very positive.
- Location is perfect. Just across the street from a small beach with a short walk to the shops and restaurants.
- View - There are nice sitting areas just outside each room that offer a great view of the beach and boats....
- Our room was clean and recently renovated. It was old...but it has an updated feel. The beds,ac unit, and fridge all looked like brand new. It was obvious that the owner was making significant updates. We typically stay in Hampton Inns when we travel. That was not an option at this location, but we still felt very comfortable.
TV- the tv was old.....but we did not come to Rockport to watch tv.....and it still had directtv. There was a mini fridge and coffee maker.....Didn't even need the coffee maker since there was coffee a few steps away in the office.... Len (the guy in the office) makes a great cup of coffee...and he keeps it flowing in the morning.
- Friendly staff- Len greeted us and showed us to our room when we arrived. He showed us everything in the room and even offered(and delivered)extra towels since we had four people. Len was also very nice in offering dining and entertainment options.

I have seen some other very negative reviews about this place and I couldn't disagree more. We really felt at home during our stay and I would definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Coasterchaser
Albany, NY
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This place looks like they tried to make something out of nothing but they have a lot of work ahead of them. We were offered coffee in the morning but I agree the rooms are musty and window sills rotted right through. The TV was older than I am and NO internet nor radio nor clock in any of the rooms. Fresh towels layed on your bed instead of being hung up and dirty towels left on the floor in the bathroom(where staff suggested we leave them) - guess we were lucky they took the trash out of the baskets. No coffee makers, wet bars in rooms as promised... Reservations were made for rooms next to each other but rooms given away before we arrived at 1:30 pm.... Lights turned off at 11:00 and no noise there after... Very dangerous situation. I came home with a good dent in the passenger side door (not sure it happened here) BUT just enough parking for guests. NO need to ever return to this Hotel although Len was friendly, just not enough to make me or friends want to return here.... Many other options in the area...

Room Tip: Don't GO here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
eaglehouse01966, Owner at Eagle House Beachside, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
I find it interesting that this guest could not think of one nice thing to say about their stay. I admit that this property is a work in progress. The windows need to be replaced which is on my list for a fall/winter project. I am replacing TVs a little at a time. All the TV's work and we offer a very nice Direct TV hospitality package. I purchased the property last May and have made significant improvements over the last year. There are new beds which guests are constantly raving about. I added AC to all the rooms. There are amenity stations in all the rooms which include mini fridges/microwaves and coffee makers/no wet bar. Most of the rooms have new bamboo flooring replacing old carpets. I have added outside patios facing the water and new planting beds. The landscaping is beautiful, not to mention the ocean views. Most return guests are amazed at the progress in just one year and can't wait to see the changes planned for next year.
Arlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 14, 2010

The rooms were such a pleasant surprise. They were beautiful and the bed was very comfy. I slept like a rock with windows open and cool breeze from the ocean. The two rooms we stayed in were decorated in soothing colors and gave off just the right beach vibe. You can see the care and thought that's going into this place. I got to peek in a few rooms and they just kept getting better and better. There were a few negatives that may be things they haven't gotten to yet. I hope they do something with the carpet and the 100 year old TVs. The wallpaper was pretty dated, but they did do a great job helping you to not see it.

A couple friends opted to stay at the Eagle House Motel, right up the road. Their room was neat and clean but very tired. It looked ready for the nursing home. I'm nosy, so I poked around a little to see if I could see any other rooms and I did notice one that looked really nice and updated, so it seems like they are working on beautification projects at the Eagle House to.

The room rate was a little high (140.00) for what was offered but I can it being worth it if they finish the rooms and maybe provide a little more space to hang out outside (like the beautiful courtyard they have at the Eagle House).

One more thing. The parking lot. There seemed to be a little too much focus and fuss about the parking situation. I can see that maybe being annoying to guests. Why not relax and make the dang lot first come, first serve and be crystal clear about it. We wouldn't have cared in the least. Overflow can go to a paid lot or maybe even offer to valet the car for them. Sweet. Or they canjust drop off the family and the gear and who ever is the fittest can take the car to the lot and leave it there for the weekend. You barely need a car if yout hanging around Rockport. yes, there are logistics to work out, but I see even more potential for this place than when I started this review.

Bottom line is we had a great time and would love to come back again!

I'm rating ithe Beachside a 4 and hope to come back next summer to check on the progress. I'm sure they'll be a 5 in no time!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Rockport Inn and Suites
#3 of 7 in Gloucester
Eagle House Motel
Eagle House Motel
#6 of 6 in Rockport

Been to Eagle House Beachside? Share your experiences!