“Fantastic view of the bay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brackett's Oceanview Restaurant

Brackett's Oceanview Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 52 Restaurants in Rockport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Thaxted, United Kingdom
“Fantastic view of the bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

We had our anniversary dinner here, and enjoyed the views over the harbour from the massive window that runs the length of the wall. The restaurant looks 'fine dining' but the service and food was more informal.

rockport, ma
“upscale decor, clam shack heart”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

I have friends who are completely in love with this place, and if you too yearn for New England fare of old you probably will too. By this I mean casserole-style dishes served in a mini-chafer like lobster pie (lobster meat with butter, a little sherry and a generous coat of Ritz cracker crumbs); schrod Florentine (cod, frozen spinach, bland white sauce, a little parm and a generous coat of Ritz cracker crumbs)...you get the picture. You get two sides with your meal (rice, baked potato, green beans, beets, etc) and those come in seperate little white bowls.

The waitstaff is young and unsophisticated--they could have been transported wholesale from Friendly's. They dash around the dining room (in running shoes) and yet, oddly, our service was pretty sluggish. They also create a tremendous din, dumping ice into the service sink with a crash; stacking and shelving glasses from the kitchen and so on. Our waitress reached across my husband all night to serve (and clear) my food and pour my wine, even though she could have easily come around to my chair.

The wine list is likewise unsophisticated--heavy on the fruit-forward wines. But at least they have a wine list, which is a welcome change considering Rockport had a liquor ban until about 5 years ago. They also have a full bar and a modest selection of beer.

Brackett's is right next door to the brand new and utterly spectacular Shalin Liu Performing Arts Center so they will probably thrive year-round and that's something to warm any local's heart.

P.S. Whoever did the interior design--tip o the hat to you! Great colors, sophisticated and modern feel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank capeanngirl
Connecticut
“Wonderful place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

We went to Brackett's on the advice of the TripAdvisor Review and we were not disappointed! My husband ordered the swordfish steak, grilled, and it was fork tender. It was served with whipped potato & fresh butternut squash. (Only minor disappointment was they ran out of baked potato. What restaurant runs out of baked potato on the busy Labor Day Weekend?) I had baked scrod with Harvard beets and cole slaw. I would swear that both our fish items were caught within an hour of being cooked. They were so fresh and delicious. The wine list is acceptable. The rolls are good but they should stick with the rolls and ditch the corn bread. The portions are just right for moderate eaters. They are not huge but not skimpy. Wonderful view but be sure to make a reservation because, even at 6:00 at night, it was already packed.

Newton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you are anywhere near Rockport, go to Brackett's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

My husband and I were at Brackett's yesterday, August 8, 2010. It was a Sunday a little after 4:00. We have been coming to Rockport since Brackett's was Oleana's. We had not been back, though, for several years. Rockport, as always, is a delight. Our meal at Brackett's was amazing, one of the best meals we've had, ever. I had the Lazy Day Lobster, green beans, and mushrooms. My husband had the broiled sea scallops, cole slaw, and french fries. The lobster was beyond belief. And I'm still trying to figure out what they did to the green beans, but they were amazing. The mushrooms were very good. Although fried, the french fries were amazingly light. (I tried one and stole several more.) We sampled each others seafood as well and just couldn't believe how good it was. I didn't realize until after we left that I had forgotten to sample the cole slaw, but my husband loved it. I don't know who is doing the cooking there, but they are pure gold. Our waitress was superb. We will always remember that meal and the beautiful setting. The only thing I can recommend more highly than Rockport is Brackett's. Go there and sample both the town and the restaurant. You will not be disappointed.

1 Thank vealib
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“would not recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

Service was slow. party of eight -our meals were not served together at the same time. Waitress did not return to our table after serving cocktails until dinners were served one hour later......portions were small. A better piece of fish can be bought at Shaws than the one that was served for a salmon special. Not very impressed.

Fred Schneck , Pennsylvania