“location.location,location”

Ranked #12 of 24 Rockport B&B and Inns
Marquette, Michigan
“location.location,location”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

spectacular view from third floor. Randy is available 24 7 to help. Didn't make it to breakfast at companion hotel since coffee was available. Hadn't realized that Breck shampoo was still made.
Definitely will return

Room Tip: appeared rooms on lower levels had been redecorated. Third floor has 2 beds and cot. Large bathroo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank upred

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My girlfriend booked a 2 night getaway a couple weeks ago, a place of my choosing for my birthday. I found in online through trip advisor!, ranked number 2... with AMAZING views, which was pretty much the sole reason I choose it, and the fact that they are running a special "book one night, get the second night half off" which is nice to do in the off season.
Now, the views, well you all know the views are amazing. I choose the best room ,which is the Neptune's car room (Don't get the term.) It has a private deck, which was really nice. I imagine even better when it's warmer. It looks like it needs a grill or something, there is so much space on it. The bad part about it is, whoever put the deck on, didn't do it the best way they could have.To get our of the room onto the deck, you have to step up,and to go back in you have to step down, which could be dangerous if you have little kids going in and out, or you are carrying things and are used to just stepping in and out of rooms with decks that have sliding doors, the way it should have been designed. It looks has if they just threw a deck on so they could charge a extra 50 bucks, without much thought in the design, or overall safety besides making sure it stays up.
There is also a step to go into the bathroom as well, which we thought was weird, again in the middle of the night, if your not used to stepping up into a bathroom, you might be annoyed. Maybe it was just the Neptune's car room that was like this, but just pointing out some flaws. Also coming in and out from the deck could be troublesome, as it is not a large screen door opening. Be careful coming in with large bags, you don't wanna take out a screen door, which I could see happening.
The room was very clean and nice :-) as was the bathroom. the view is amazing, as stated by everyone, especially from this room, with the large window and the ability to go out onto the deck for even better views. I suggest sitting in the comfy chairs near the window and just enjoying the view. It is one of the most relaxing things in the world, looking out at Rockport to your right, and Straightsmouth Island Lighthouse straight ahead, with vast Atlantic views. Bring back some subs from Virgilio's in Gloucester and some desert from Cafe Sicilia down the street from it and just take it in.
At night is can be a hauntingly beautiful setting, being right on the ocean, opening the windows during a high tide, you hear nothing but ocean. And do to it's location, not right on route 127, and down a small hill, you don;t hear any cars as much. Being in Pigeon Cove helps to. After 6 P.M, you won;t see much in the way of traffic.
It's location is great. You could really walk into Rockport if you wanted, but you are close to everything, and just far away enough to relax and enjoy peacefulness.
Now, to the things I did not like. For some reason on the two days we were there, they had to do construction on the house! Which made me VERY angry. So from 11 to late in the afternoon, you hear band saws, nailing, ripping off parts of the house, and putting in new doors below us. The walls were actually vibrating in the inn all around us. Not exactly what I call peace and relaxation. I think it's AWFUL SUCKY of the owners to let that happen while they have paying guests paying 200 dollars plus a night to stay. People go to this inn for the views and the peace it brings, not to listen to construction. If they need to do work on the house, they should close it down for a week in the off season and do everything they need to do. That's the way I would do business. I felt bad for the people checking in when we were leaving. Now we weren't there all day, we left, to do things around Cape Ann, I don't think I would have been able to handle it being there all day listening to the inn vibrating and the sound of house building.
The other big issue I had, was the lack of hot water. Which was aided by the fact that my girlfriend was battling a virus while we were there and was freezing for the better part of the 2 days we were there. A hot shower helps that. But two different times, there was no hot water at all, once while she was in the shower it turned ice cold! And we didn't have hot water for at least 5 hours the first time. Then the morning we were checking out, before breakfast, we had no hot water. Thank God we had it 2 hours later when we came back. I did not think it was from everyone using it, has there was only one other couple staying. I did not say anything about either issue, but I was pretty close to complaining to someone in the managers office. I'm sick and tired of inconsiderate people in this world.
There is no breakfast on site, you have to go to the Rockport Inn and Suites for a continental breakfast, which we did not go to. The red skiff in Rockport was our choice for breakfast and there are options in Gloucester.
I think the rooms could use a brighter look, everything seems very pale. If you wanna call a room Neptune's Car, I think there should be at least some blue somewhere, but everything was just beige looking. I don't see anything in any rooms that describes why the rooms are called what they are. I honestly think I could do better decorating in that sense. It would add to the ambiance of being there.
Also, I think the doors need to be better closed up so to speak. at night you can see under the doors into the halls. Its a small inn, so people are close all around you. I would like a door that makes me feel like I'm not around anyone else, so I think they need new doors. They look like cheap doors from a house in the 1980's anyway.
I understand this isn't some grand resort in like the Emerson up the street, but I think it could use some improvements, and hopefully the owners will read this, and decide to do it the right way, and close the property so they don't disrupt their guests days with unneeded noise.
Would I go back? If I did, it would be in the off season, or in the fall. I feel like it would be a busy place in the summer. Lots of people around you. I don't like vacations in the summer where I feel like I'm walking on people. I think it would be like that here cause it's a small inn.
So I guess that's pretty much it. Overall, a nice inn with some issues and much room for improvement, lots of potential. Hopefully it is realized.

Room Tip: I would suggest Neptunes Car or any room on second floor
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BlueYankee_Traveler
Uxbridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Our room had a lovely large picture window overlooking the ocean, which I think is true for every room. We were on the second floor, so looking out our window, we saw the rocky shore directly in front of us, the ocean beyond, Bearskin Harbor to the right, and a pictureque old New England Inn to the left. My wife and I relaxed sipping wine and looking out the window for quite some time. With the windows ajar we enjoyed the soothing sounds of the sea as wave crash against the rocky shore. This was now our second stay at the Quarterdeck Inn. On our first stay, from our picture window, we enjoyed watching lobster fishermen checking their traps in the harbor. It made feel like we were part of an old Yankee fishing village. Randy, the owner, is very friendly and helpful; I can see he enjoys his work. Beautifully remodeled with authentic antiques, it really was a romantic trip back in time.

Room Tip: Any room looks good, we were in the Neptune room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Comfortable, quiet, clean, lovely place for a weekend on Cape Ann. Our room, billed as "partial ocean view" had a sumptuous view of the water as we awoke and a full frontal view from a shared deck. Comfortably appointed, it is furnished as an inn with the anonymity of a motel--no central place to gather or food served. Coffee available 24/7 in the entryway. One drawback: continental breakfast available at another local inn/motel a mile away. On the other hand, guests at the Quarterdeck also have use of the other inn's indoor pool. We didn't avail ourselves of this, but it may be worth the breakfast trade-off. Close enough to Gloucester (twelve minutes driving) so dinner choices abound even in winter.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My wife and I visited this Inn at the end of a northeast coast road-trip. If you've ever had a balcony room on a cruise ship, that is what this feels like. My wife literally got sea-sick from the movement of the waves in the picture window, brilliant. The amenities were great, service wonderful, and the area had a wonderful little nook of towns to explore. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the semi-private deck if the weather is good, you won't want to leave.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachcomber78
Lovettsville
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed in early October in the Neptune room. Standing by the picture window it almost feels as though you are standing on top of the ocean. We sat by the window for many, many, hours watching the tide come in and a full moon come up. Forget the TV, who needs it when you can experience the ocean just outside your window.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Doug H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this Inn, in early October. We stayed in the Neptune room, which had its only deck, and fantastic views of the ocean. We had a wonderful meal at the Yankee Clipper next door. Only drawbackto staying at the Quarterdeck Inn is that you have to take your breakfast at another hotel (not near enough realistically to walk) for breakfast. I feel that breakfast should be offered at the Inn, they could easily turn the 'office' into a breakfast area. Would however recommend the Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dianne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Rockport Inn and Suites
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
Yankee Clipper Inn
Yankee Clipper Inn
#8 of 24 in Rockport

Been to The Quarterdeck Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!