“Staff Retreat Success!!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rockport
Cambridge
“Staff Retreat Success!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Recently, our organization (a non-profit based in Cambridge) had our staff retreat at Emerson Inn by the Sea. We are a staff of 13 and were there for 1 night, 2 days. The one consistent thing that the entire staff loved about the retreat was the location (not just Rockport, but specifically the Emerson Inn). The rooms at Emerson were clean and comfortable, the location was phenomenal (the view off the back porch with the rocking chairs is not to be missed!), the food was great (we have rather picky eaters and a vegetarian on staff so food is always a make or break point), and the staff was professional and accommodating. The event coordinator I worked with (Kathryn) was extremely friendly and patient given that this was the first retreat I had ever planned and I was full of questions and concerns.

When we arrived, the conference room (Ocean View Terrace) was set up and ready for us and was absolutely perfect for our group size. There were a couple of minor last minute changes I requested from Kathryn that weren’t initially ready upon arrival but the person helping us during our stay, Melissa, who was nothing less than wonderful, was able to immediately help us with some additional requests and changes. Having such a great location and accommodating staff really let our group focus on our discussions and activities. Honestly, I really don’t know if we could have picked a better place to go. Both personally and professionally, I will be remembering Emerson Inn by the Sea for my future needs.

• Liked — Location& view, back porch (with awesome rocking chairs!!), & Melissa
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Traveler02139

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Boston
Reviewed July 20, 2006

I got married at the Emerson Inn 2 weeks ago. It was a beautiful day and the ceremony was on the lawn. The garden was beautiful and it was wonderful to have the ocean as the backdrop.

Everyone at the Inn was helpful and accomodating. They met with us to plan our menu and go through the schedule for the wedding day. Everything went off without a hitch. They took care of every detail that I requested including putting up some decorations for me. During the course of the day, the staff was so nice - they helped me feel very special on my wedding day.

We, and a lot of our guests, stayed over at the Inn also. Our room had a spectacular view of the ocean and was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included and it was delicious - after hearing my family say how good it was, I even snuck down on the morning of my wedding for the banana pancakes, bacon, and, egg fritatta!

Overall, it was just a beautiful place. That day and since, many of our guests have raved about what a wonderful wedding it was, from the food, to the view, and the atmosphere of the Inn. I think everyone thoroughly enjoyed socializing on the porch looking at the view. I know the kids who were staying over particularly liked being able to swim in the pool during the reception.

Stayed July 2006
4 Thank jcsailtrim
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I was married at the Emerson this year. Based on our experience with the staff and the unethical business practices of the inn I feel it only necessary to post my feedback on as many sites as possible to inform the rest of the world what the real story is. Our wedding was small at 45 people with an average age of guests at 37. So, we were not a loud young group of kids. Here I go... The staff's answer for everything is no. No my flower girl can't toss petals on the floor, no we can't use our ipod, no we can't move the wedding to the porch because it was raining out. As far as customer service goes there is none. We rented one of their cottages and they didn't pick up the garbage for three days. They wouldn't let us use the garage and they left no blankets or pillows for the pull out bed. My fathers room at the inn STUCK so badly I was embarrassed and told them I'd pay for them to stay some place else. Guess what, breakfast is NOT included if you rent their cottage for $3000 a week. The wedding planner doesn't return calls, she didn't provide me a receipt for my $2500 deposit after asking three times for one. She didn't advise us that we were $900 UNDER our minimum food balance until the bill arrived, which is funny because she verbally told me we meet it days before. The staff at the Emerson only care about getting your money and doing as little as possible for you. For those of you not looking to get married there - their rooms are small and overpriced. Stay at a B&B in town for $100 a night and get an awesome breakfast and MUCH larger rooms. Plus, you're right downtown. There's nothing around the Emerson... except construction on the houses around it.

• Stayed June 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 2, 2006

Depressing!!! The room that we had was tiny, the furniture shabby, bathroom in need of an update topped off with a view of a crowded neighborhood. The sound of surf was replaced by barking dogs and loud radios. Breakfast was a combination of cold cereal, cold scones, hard bagels and weak coffee; however the view from the dining room is wonderful. It is an insult to charge what they did and offer such an inferior accomodation. I would never return.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank NewEnglander1
Reviewed March 26, 2006

the rooms are really tiny and a bit worn out considering the price and the "luxury" image that the Inn tries to project. It's a decent basic B&B, but nothing in need of a little more TLC and a little less hype. Breakfast was kind of weak. There is a lovely ocean view, but the Inn is not right on the water, and there is a parking lot and another building/house between the Inn and the water. Reservations staff were confused and refused to offer specifics about room locations.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2005

Went for a couple of days "to get away", and there is no better place to go to relax! What could be better than to be by the ocean, in a swimming pool, sitting in a rocker on the great porch, eating outstanding food, sleeping in a very confortable bed, watching the sun rise and set over the ocean... I hated to leave. The staff were very friendly and more than willing to accommodate our wishes. The food is absolutely worth the trip (even if you are not staying overnight). The Inn was very clean and the rooms were very nicely decorated. We would (and have) highly recommended the Emerson to everyone!

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed August 17, 2005

It was a lovely hotel, but I wouldn't reccommend blowing $340 a night on the world's-tiniest-room on the fourth floor just because it has a sliding glass door with a railing and two rocking chairs behind it (aka 'balcony').

It was far from town and without a beach. Great water views, but don't let them tell you this is a waterfront. The rocks of Rockport are in their glory here, and you can walk out on them if you are careful enough.

The restaurant (food) was great but the breakfast service was not great. I mean, how many times do you need to say "yes, thank you, I would like some cream for my coffee" and sit for 10 minutes stewing in your pre-caffinated morning slump because the waitress kept forgetting. And this is both mornings.

I thought only in the Carribean did they not take coffee seriously!

The one bright star of the restaurant was our waiter, Jeff. Cute as a button - still in high school but he was so friendly and professional you'd think he'd been doing this for years. He put up with us until we were the last customers there at 11pm, all charm.

Stayed August 2005
5 Thank JanetAnnRyan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Rockport Inn and Suites
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
The Seafarer Inn
The Seafarer Inn
#1 of 25 in Rockport

Been to Emerson Inn? Share your experiences!