“Pass the one by...”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rockport
new york
“Pass the one by...”
Reviewed October 13, 2008

The hotel property is a rather nice location by the sea in Rockport, MA. However, this hotel lacks the services one would expect. I spent $350 for my room and absolutely no services what-so-ever. When I asked for local information from the front desk, every contact was wrong for some reason. The restaurant at the hotel was out of anything I asked to order on the menu. Service was equal to a hotel that charges less than $100. Rooms are run down. Many rules posted everywhere. I was ask to initial my check-in in five different places -- perhaps the owners are nutsy??? The area is lovely with many choices, so I would avoid this one.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The management is terrible!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iphonenyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Duxbury, MA.
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We stayed for two nights in room #309 Sat and Sun of this past LD wkend. The room was ocnvw 3rd floor and was quite small but clean and adequate. The sink in the bathrm was tricky due to a glass shelf above it that didn't allow you much space to put your face over the sink = water all over floor. Bed firm but comfy. toilet plugged up on last day when brought to desk attention it was fixed promptly but no compensation or discount given upon checkout. we paid 299.00 per night and because of the proximity to our friends home where we attended a LD party this was fine, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay that again. The help were just ok not real friendly very young, property gorgeous and convienient to Bearskin Neck, Breakfast was very nice and fresh.

• Liked — close to where we were going
  • Disliked — bathroom (no place for storing health/beauty aids)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chickie1031
Iowa City
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed for two nights in August 2008. My husband and I had a beautiful ocean view from our room. The room was comfortable and consistent with what we expected for an Inn (e.g., you will hear your neighbors). Our son had a smaller non-ocean-view room, which was less expensive, smaller, but still quite nice. The gardens were lovely and there's easy access to the rocky shoreline. The breakfast buffet was fine, though not spectacular. The staff was adequate, but not especially friendly or welcoming.

• Liked — The view!
  • Disliked — The cheezy piano player in the evenings.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I just read some of the past reviews.

This is an Inn, not a Hilton. You do get what you paid for. My wife and I carefully reviewed the website. I found that oceanview rooms were more expensive that street facing views. I also found that the more you were willing to pay, the larger the room.

That said, this was our 2nd visit to this property. Our room on the 2nd floor (older wing) was just about the size of a whatever you would call a 'normal' hotel room. The room had 2 windows, along with an air conditioner.

The room was nicely furnished. Comfortable bed. I didn't care for the pillows. Our bathroom was beautifully decorated. This bathroom wasn't cramped at all. It also had a window where I could look out at the lawn/water as I showered.

Our friends stayed on the 3rd floor in a small room. I felt that their bathroom was a bit snug.

They do have a computer available (for free) downstairs on the lower level.

I agree with all the breakfast comments, and sadly, the dinner comments too. Next time we won't eat dinner on premises. My lamb chops were fatty, and all 3 were different sizes!!

The wine list reads like out of Wine Spectator, and was reasonably priced if you know anything about wine.

• Disliked — pillows
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
NY
Reviewed August 1, 2008

We wanted a to stay at a place with a pool, there are few Inns with pools in rockport because of the beaches. I prefer swimming in pools and this had a pleasant setting overlooking the ocean. Our room was typical of an old Inn, on the small side, but it was immaculate and cozy. The hot breakfast buffet is worth the stay, we enjoyed a fabulous spinach frittata, hot links, home fries and many wonderful baked goods and fresh fruits. They had out in the foyer, iced coffed, iced tea and cookies for an afternoon snack which was delightful. I enjoyed sitting on rockers overlooking the ocean and the well manicured gardens. Overall our last minute decision to stay in Rockport was well worth it.

• Liked — The gardens, pool and breakfast
  • Disliked — The size of the room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank lildudleysmom
New York
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We are in the third day of our four-day stay here at the Emerson Inn and I see no reason to wait until we get home to write a review. Although it is still early Spring with a real nip in the air, there is so much awesome beauty in this area it is hard to know where to look first. The ambiance of the inn sets you up for all the Cape Ann has to offer. The place is spectacular! Beautiful seaside inn, breathtaking vistas, immaculately clean , comfortable bed and suite accommodations, and totally relaxing to boot. It even provides wi-fi internet access - so we are able to stay in touch with family, friends and our business matters. The staff is exceptionally caring and considerate. When we got to our suite, we found a detailed map of the area with dozens of notations and highlighted routes to suggested photographic venues. You see, when making our reservation, i had casually mentioned that we were coming to the area for a photo shoot of New England seaside villages during their "quiet time". This project must have taken hours and hours to complete. We can't say enough about the hospitality of the staff and the charm of the inn and the whole Cape Ann experience. We will definitely be back in May or June to see our friends again and to witness a more "in season" Cape Ann.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Obinoculars
New York
Reviewed October 25, 2007

The room with a queen bed (non ocean view) was the smallest room I have ever been in. You could not even put your suitcase out anywere in the room except on the bed. We lived out of the suitcase - took out what you needed and then closed it up. The bathroom is so small that when I dropped something on the floor I just missed bumping my head into the sink and there is no room to put anything in the bathroom(ie deodorant, shaver, toothbrush). As for the coffee that is supposed to be out everyday, one morning at 8am there was no coffee out and where was the iced tea - nowhere. There were two bottle of water upon arrival, we drank the two bottles and they were never replaced by the hotel. The pictures on the website looked nothing like our room. The restaurant was the worse part of our stay. We both ordered the chicken with blue cheese - the chicken was tastless and looked like it was deep fried, the breast split open and the blue cheese mixture placed inside. My husband never complains and he even said "All I taste is blue cheese" and there was hardly any chicken, the presentation was beautiful but the food was terrible. The only good thing was the bread and we had to ask for seconds - it was not automatically replaced and you get one slice each. We spent 3 nights there and I could not wait to leave these too small quarters. If you are an early riser and want breakfast you have to wait until 8am.

• Liked — check out was fast
  • Disliked — Size of room and late breakfast hours
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roxy429
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Rockport Inn and Suites
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
The Seafarer Inn
The Seafarer Inn
#1 of 25 in Rockport

Been to Emerson Inn? Share your experiences!